“Old New York Tradition Continues”
Review of Veselka

Veselka
Ranked #185 of 15,866 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Ukrainian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: East Village
Description: Ukrainian Soul food in the heart of the East Village!
Reviewed 15 July 2018

It is good to see that Veselka is able to keep on with its East Village roots since so many other eateries of this type have had to close.
Veselka itself has made some shifts over time too. Their grandma-sized portions have become more modest while the prices go up.
Example: entrees once included a heaping mound of mashed potatoes but these days you will find a golf ball-sized sphere instead.
For a while I had been feeling the quality had dipped. That was about the time that Veselka tried to operate "Little Veselka" on East First Street.
My assumption was that expansion watered-down their essence.
But now, it seems like the full taste is back on track (albeit in smaller servings).
I hope Veselka remains forever. It has such a good, relaxed atmosphere, and has options that can please every palate (from eastern European dishes to Americana to vegetarian and to bits of other cuisines as well ).

Reviewed 14 July 2018

I was brought up in a Polish family, and once a year, the church my grandparents went to would have a Polish Picnic, with plates with large amounts of delicious Polish food, like pierogi, kielbasa, and golabki (stuffed cabbage). So when my partner took me to Veselka, which specializes in Ukranian/Polish food, I was definitely interested to see if it met the expectations of the food I grew up with. I ordered (and kind of convinced my partner to also get) the deluxe meat plate, which comes with 3 pierogi, kielbasa, stuffed cabbage, and a beet salad, as well as a soup. I tried the cold borscht, and even though it was my first time trying such, it was quite good. Then, our main dishes came out, and I started eating, and oh my god, I was brought back to the meals I ate growing up that my babcia (Polish for grandmother) used to make. Delicious boiled pierogi of three different types, kielbasa grilled to perfection, and the stuffed cabbage (served with mushroom gravy on this platter instead of the tomato-based sauce I grew up with) was delicious, the mushroom sauce going perfectly with the meat and rice filling. I rarely review much on this site, but in this case, I had to, since the experience perfectly brought me back to my childhood!

1  Thank tbeals46
Reviewed 11 July 2018

It's real Ukrainian Restaurant in heart of New York, where Sandra Bullock and Kate Blanchett have eaten together.

1  Thank Vadym A
Reviewed 10 July 2018

Fast service, great food. Good for breakfast, lunch or dinner. They serve fresh, Ukrainian fare at very reasonable prices. It is has been in business since 1954 and I know why!

Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

This restaurant was a pleasant surprise for us while on vacation. We were looking for something other than pizza and this restaurant came up in our search. We love Polish food so we gave it a try. We sat outside and enjoyed a wide variety of delicious dishes and superb service. I highly recommend this restaurant!