“Great NY Jewish Deli! Best Ruben on the Planet!!”

Sarge's Delicatessen & Diner
Ranked #340 of 14,744 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Deli
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Since 1964 Sarge's Delicatessen & Diner is the “Real Deal New York Meal”!. We have been serving great Jewish style and American homemade dishes…from Matzo Ball Soup, Behemoth Corned Beef & Pastrami Sandwiches, Homemade Entrées and more. Anytime Day or Night you can enjoy breakfast, lunch, dinner or a light snack. Dine-In Take-Out or Delivered we are open 24/7. Using the freshest ingredients including Lots of Sarge’s Love in all of our foods we welcome you to experience our New York City Iconic Delicatessen & Diner.
Reviewed 11 January 2018

I loved this place. The interior is as if time stood still and nothing has changed since 1962 - which for a NY Deli is a good thing! We were visiting from Australia and I considered battling the crowds and going to Katz Deli - but last time I was there I felt it has turned into a tourist destination and this time I was seeking out a REAL NY deli experience. When you sit down and order, they bring you a silver bowl of pickles and a large serve of coleslaw. They had me at bowl of pickles . . . My son and I ordered the Ruben sandwich with corned beef. It was seriously the BEST corned beef I have ever had - I keep thinking about that sandwich days after eating it. The sandwich was HUGE and needed to be eaten with a knife and fork. I was only able to get through a quarter of it before throwing in the towel. My teenage some who can eat for Australia took the sandwich as a food challenge - much to everyone's surprise he managed to finish it, but it did take focus and dedication! My husband ordered the corned beef hash with eggs. His was very generously portioned and very good too. My other son, who is challenged by new food experiences, ordered the hamburger. Seriously, who orders a hamburger at a classic NY deli? So of course this was the disappointment of our dinning experience. The hamburger was very average - but I think that was proper punishment for my son ordering such a dish at a NY deli! I would fly back to NYC just to go to this deli - it was that good.

1  Thank MeganBruton

Reviewed 9 January 2018

My family wanted to visit a real NY Deli while in New York. Being a police officer myself I couldnt pass up a place named Sarge's Deli. Im glad we went. It is open 24 hours and we went kind of late. The place was almost empty and felt like a local place. The food was great and the staff helped us choose a few items. Try this place. Good food and more of a real feel than the places in the theater district.

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

We stopped by Sarge’s for a bite to eat while spending some time in Manhattan checking out the holiday windows and the tree at Rock Center. The food hit the spot, especially the pastrami sandwich and matzo ball soup. Definitely worth a stop to grab some grub.

Reviewed 5 January 2018

Thanks to trip advisor we found this gem of a deli. Huge menu to select from. So much to choose from, I had the corned beef on rye and it was huge. Mazta ball soup was just okay. I highly recommend this place. not very big so I am glad to have found it. Prices were excellent for the size of the servings. You can split the sandwiches and try to leave room for desert. They give pickles and coleslaw and it was delish.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

I love their pickles that come with the sandwich. I ordered the pastrami sandwich stuffed with pastrami. They will ask if you want the mustard and pickles. I took it with me to go and they did a nice job wrapping it up so that the juice from the pickles don't leak.