“GREAT Asian Fusion food.”
Review of TAO Downtown

TAO Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
TAO Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #586 of 14,725 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
Reviewed 1 January 2017

we have fun here ,Amazing Asian Fusion food ,and nice DJ.noisy.but we have great time.so we will plan next time to vist again

Write a ReviewReviews (1,211)

Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

Nice food but the resturant is very noisy and dark so you are not able to dee what you get.the dum sim were exelent the main course fair

Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

So unfair! While Tao was opulent, and exquisite in all ways; they have a lot to say in the political ways: when I asked the Dj to play Ricky martin Ventura pa,CA he denies us the request and excusing himself saying he was only allow to play white and hip hop music. Perhaps the dj is serving the white population or whatever he believes in. Or he was not pleasant about Ricky Martin at all! Not cool.

Reviewed 24 December 2016 via mobile

I almost forgot how grandiose Tao Downtown is. It has been several years since my first and most recent visit and I was once again wowed by the venue. Don't forget that there is no cover charge in the restaurant, but the drink charges certainly make up for that...

The food was quite good, nothing I would go to a hole in the wall place for, but in this environment everything seemed to taste even better!

We began with the Lobster Dumplings, satay of Chilean Sea Bass with miso glaze (one of my favorites of the eve) and crispy rice tuna. All of which were spot on delicious. We also ordered some edamame which I usually order at most Japanese restaurants but half of my group said they don't eat edamame, but once it arrived EVERYONE was devouring them, not sure if it was the pure sea salt or just venue to get them to veer from their preconceived opinions of edamame, but we finished the dish in minutes... of

We also began with sake and cocktails, I loved my nigori sake, my wife loved her warmed sake, and a couple in our party fell in love with (seriously) their specialty margarita.

Dinner was miso black cod (my other favorite of the meal) coconut shrimp, Tokyo style filet mignon coupled with BBQ duck fried rice and Shanghai fried rice. The four of us finished everything we were served.

For desserts wife and I chose a small selection of sushi and sashimi and our guests opted for to much famed (deservedly so) Bread Pudding doughnuts which were raved about.

Our server was very attentive and friendly, an item I have seen several reviews complain about but our service was A+.

Our table was in the "waterfall" section of the dining room, so maybe be got more dedicated service or just had a more professional server. FWIW, out first visit a couple years ago also seated in the same wonderful section and we loved the view/show of the main dining section.

Cost: I confess to selecting high cost sake, over 2/3 the cost of the 700 pre tax bill (4ppl), I was actually pleasantly surprised by the low cost of the meal (keep in mind each of the 5 margaritas were almost $20 each and worth every penny according to our guests). You can easily spend almost twice as much at competing restaurants for the food as well as the sake without the same wide selections.

I wish we weren't so full because I wanted to try so many more dishes!!!

Reviewed 24 December 2016 via mobile

I wish we weren't so full because I wanted to try so many more dishes!!!

1  Thank lakesideruby