“French Roast is Toast”
Review of French Roast - Sixth Ave. - CLOSED

French Roast - Sixth Ave.
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: French, Bar, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Neighbourhood: West Village
Description: Proudly serving the West Village 24 hours a day for over 20 years.
Reviewed 7 May 2017

My wife and I have been going to French Roast for years. Well, this past Friday was the last. There is no baguette, there is no real French food, Dean Martin was singing " That's Amore" and "Volare" in the background. Don't get me wrong; I love Italy. But we didn't go to Eatily, we went to French Roast! We had to send the toast that came with breakfast THREE times because it was burned. The server was great, unlike others in reviews I have read. It was just the food- mediocre and overpriced for what one orders. In fact, our server was apologetic because of the lack of what my wife calls "Love in the food". This breakfast didn't even have friendship. New York City offers far better fare than what we encountered in this establishment.

Reviewed 14 April 2017

Place had a dinner price fixe menu which we tried. Food was superb but desserts were a bit too sweet for me. Wine choice of was vast. A great place for a date.

Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

We were quite excited to try this French themed cafe for breakfast. Server error soured the meal. The menu listed oatmeal with berries and bananas and I expected the 3 things listed: a bowl of oatmeal with berries and bananas.
What I received was a bowl of oatmeal with a mixed fruit bowl poured on top. Cantaloupe (ew), honeydew, pineapple and the berries. Now I like fruit but not melon and pineapple on oatmeal.
While this complaint is a first world problem, the situation was handled poorly. Whether I'm eating at Morton's or McDonalds I expect to receive an accurate order or a polite and prompt correction. I called it out to the food runner who notified the server. Rather than an apology the server simply said they'd ran out of bananas.
Sigh.
Now had the server notified me about the lack of bananas when I ordered or before the food arrived, or had asked if a substitute was ok or upon seeing my grossed out facial expression had apologized and corrected it then the meal likely would have gone well.
The others in the group were satisfied with their food but the situation had made the experience disappointing.

Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

Always busy when I've been on a weekend, and that is probably because they cook their food just right! I generally go for a variation on poached eggs and hollandaise (Paris jambon; smoked salmon), but I have tried other items that were also good. I also really like their cappuccinos too.

Reviewed 23 January 2017

I have passed French Roast for years and never stopped in until the other night. It is a busy place, tightly packed tables with a high noise level, The food was great,. I had the salmon - superbly done, probably the best grilled salmon I've ever had. They have a Happy Hour special. When I inquired I was told it only applied at the bar, which I later found out was not true. Mon to Fri between 4 and 7 pm there is a Happy Hour - insist on it. That was the only disappointment and an unnecessary one at that!