“Sumptuous and delicious, superb service, PRIX FIXE menus”
Review of The Modern

The Modern
Reserve with OpenTable
The Modern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 14,308 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$108 - US$182
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
Description: The Dining Room at The Modern is a Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. Helmed by Executive Chef Abram Bissell, the restaurant features refined, playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality in a $158 four-course prix fixe menu or a $208 eight-course tasting menu. Lunch offers a $118 three-course prix fixe menu or $158 six-course prix fixe menu. Complementing Chef Bissell's menus, Master Sommelier Michael Engelmann's extensive selection of wines showcases exceptional diversity and value in wines both classic and emerging regions. Our menu pricing is inclusive of all costs associated with food, beverage and hospitality. No tips are required nor expected. We accept reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room (reservations encouraged), terrace for seasonal outdoor enjoyment, and bar & lounge area to welcome walk-ins.
Reviewed 18 June 2016

Had a fantastic birthday dinner here. We were seated by the window with a view at the MoMa inner courtyard. Lots of room between tables in the modern very specious dining room. Our very professional server struck the perfect balance between relaxed and funny but clearly at the top of his game. They accommodated my fiancee's vegetarian requests with some very nice options.

I ordered the 4 course dinner and she had the 3. With a couple glasses of wine the bill came to close to $400 for two, and was a relaxed, non-rushed affair. Expect a 2-3 hour experience minimum.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,727)

Reviewed 18 June 2016

This was my husband and my first dinner at The Modern Dining Room since Chef Abram Bissell joined the team and the improvement is remarkable. We used to consider the Dining Room to be overrated, but not anymore. We decided to try the 8 course tasting menu, with wine pairings for me, so we'd have a chance to sample the chef's greatest hits. Servings were generous for a tasting and I had to reluctantly leave some food on the plates, which was tough considering how superb everything was. If I had to name one dish that stood out it might be the egg with caviar and sweet brioche soldiers, however they were all so delicious and beautifully plated that it's hard to single out any one. I typically prefer seared foie gras to terrines, however theirs was so silky and light, it melted in our mouths, and the wild strawberries were an excellent complement. Fish was fresh and perfectly cooked and the lamb was tender and flavorful. The wines were well chosen and paired perfectly with the food. There was only one that I wasn't crazy about (the dessert wine) and they promptly replaced it with one that I enjoyed more.

Service was faultless, professional, efficient, welcoming and totally charming. For everyone who fears that service levels might decline when there is a no tipping policy, let us assure you that the service here could not have been improved. The room is gorgeous with the view of MOMA's sculpture garden. Tables are well spaced out and while it's not unnaturally quiet, noise is moderate, so it's easy to have a conversation with your dining companions. It's not inexpensive however at this level of quality it's worth the splurge.

As long time MOMA members we often have lunch in the Bar Room or the Cafe on 5 when viewing exhibitions, but now we're going to come back for dinner. Very highly recommended!

Reviewed 16 June 2016

My wife and I dined at The Modern on our last evening in New York. The room is beautiful, all gray and elegant, with a wall of floor-to ceiling windows along one side, so much nicer than the bar and lounge area out front with its plastic chairs. The noise level was low and the tables were set far apart by New York standards.

Service was extraordinary. The waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. The manager came over and talked about his time working in restaurants in San Francisco. The sommelier was interesting and informative. He selected for us a bottle of Australian Nebbiolo that we never would have chosen, but that was remarkably delicious. I applaud the no tipping policy.

And the food? Well, that's the problem. It looks wonderful, but we both felt that the tastes just weren't there, and that the combinations of flavors just were not harmonious. My white asparagus tasted bland. The lobster in the lobster potage was a bit chewy and also lacked taste. My wife thought that the King Crab appetizer tasted as if the crab had been frozen. My beef was excellent. The cheese course was below par.

It is a tragedy that the food does not measure up to the atmosphere and the service.

The M, Manager at The Modern, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2016

Dear David,

I am very grateful that you took the time to share your thoughts. I am very sorry to hear that your meal did not match the same standards as the rest of your experience. More so for the fact that the meal itself left with bad taste on your overall memory of your visit.

I would love to discuss this more with you. Please email us at info@themodernnyc.com with the best way to reach you and hope to be in touch soon.

Tony Carson

Assistant General Manager
THE MODERN
9 W 53 STREET NY, NY 10019
T 212.333.1220

Reviewed 16 June 2016

This is one of the restaurants that is for food and wine lovers. It is next door to the Museum of Modern Art. If you want a reservation you need to call 28 days in advance. They have 3, 4 or 8 course dinners. The wine list is over the top. One of us had a three course meal and the other had a four course meal. We had 1/2 bottle of Krug champagne and a very good bottle of Pinot Noir. We found the desserts to be very uninteresting but they were part of our meal. The total bill was around $650. Except for the dessert list the food was exceptional. Don't go to this restaurant unless you want to experience the best of food and wine and don't mind the cost.

Reviewed 11 June 2016 via mobile

wonderful happy atmosphere,great service-no tiping, in the "cafe-bar room".Main dining room ,which is gorgeous,is closed for lunch on weekends.Food is creatively delicious,based on combination of various textures.

1  Thank marcio K