“VERY good food...VERY accommodating ”
Review of The Modern

The Modern
Reserve with OpenTable
The Modern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 14,144 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$108 - US$182
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
Description: The Dining Room at The Modern is a Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. Helmed by Executive Chef Abram Bissell, the restaurant features refined, playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality in a $158 four-course prix fixe menu or a $208 eight-course tasting menu. Lunch offers a $118 three-course prix fixe menu or $158 six-course prix fixe menu. Complementing Chef Bissell's menus, Master Sommelier Michael Engelmann's extensive selection of wines showcases exceptional diversity and value in wines both classic and emerging regions. Our menu pricing is inclusive of all costs associated with food, beverage and hospitality. No tips are required nor expected. We accept reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room (reservations encouraged), terrace for seasonal outdoor enjoyment, and bar & lounge area to welcome walk-ins.
Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

After my daughter finished sleep away camp, I booked a few extra days in the city as a pre birthday gift and celebrating her upcoming senior year. We got a late start and by the time we got to MoMA we were starving. We found The Modern by accident. I felt out of place being surrounded by all the dark colored suits. However, our server was so sweet. We ordered a soda as neither one of us are drinkers. Little bottles of soda were adorable. The crisp baguettes were hot and fresh and the butter perfectly shaped and creamy. My daughter ordered the chicken in brioche and asked for french fries. Other upscale restaurants would have looked at line she was crazy. Not here. And they were delicious. The portion was tremendous and we easily could have split the dish. I ordered the flambé torte with smoked bacon and onions. Delicious. My daughter was not fond of the tortes strong flavor so she passed. The food was very good, the service was exceptional. The only negative was the price and the fact it was a no tipping restaurant was nice, but because of the accommodating service I would have left a tip. All in all, I was happy my daughter gets this service on our special trip.

Reviewed 19 July 2016

We had a late lunch here this week. The service is friendly and impeccable, the food is excellent. The atmosphere is a bit sterile, but in keeping with the modern theme. Their menu got my white food syndrome granddaughter to try something more daring. We were a happy group.

Reviewed 18 July 2016

I love every part of this museum. You can't see it all in just one visit - I wanted to go back again and again.

Reviewed 17 July 2016

When we want to be fairly sure that we'll get the right balance of relaxed attentive service, lovely setting, and scrumptious eats we tend towards a Union Square Hospitality restaurant, and this is one of them. In fact, we have been to both The Modern Bar Room and the more formal The Modern Dining Room in the past and have always left happy as opposed to happy to leave!

The title of the restaurants betrays the location, which is in The Museum of Modern Art -- note that there is a separate entrance to The Modern and it is a simple glass door that is easy to walk past. The door leads to a clean "modern" hallway that leads to the host/hostess stand and the bar room (the dining room is separated by panels next to the bar room.

Everything about our Saturday lunch was easy, clean, elegant and satisfying. Our main waiter had the right combo of professionalism and friendliness and he could talk about any dish with authority. We always love it when a bar program includes thoughtfully crafted non-alcoholic beverages and this one had several. Hubby chose one of these beverages called a London Dry and that involved cucumber, tonic, and lime, I think. That sounded good to me, too, but I asked them to put some gin in mine, which they happily obliged -- it was dee-licious! Here's one mark of a good place -- essentially we both ordered what would look like identical drinks except mine had gin in it -- in order to be certain not to confuse delivery, mine had a lot more cucumber slices in the glass. Here's another sign of a great place -- lately my hockey-playing husband has had some tendonitis in his elbow and running around NYC whenever we sit down at a restaurant we've had to ask the server if they could manage to get him a plastic bag of ice for his elbow. Not only did this place not hesitate but they're the only ones who wrapped the ice bag in a crisp white napkin with a little pleat in it!

We ordered our food and watched other tables get seated with what we approximated to be about an even mix of folks from the neighborhood and visitors to NYC. Little crusty baguettes and perfectly softened butter went nicely with our drinks. As a first course I went with the simple and fresh baby lettuce salad with herbs and Parmesan dressing while hubby had the king crab fritters. Both really good -- the salad was deceptively large so hubby got fritters and salad, too. I took a taste of his fritters and they were fried just right and a good balance of sweet and savory.

After getting a wonderfully detailed analytical description of two different entrees he was debating between, hubby ended up ordering the lamb sausage with romaine and green chick peas. After over three decades of marriage I recently learned he does not like chick peas so this was fascinating. I went for the brioche fried chicken breast with potatoes and pickled ramps. My chicken was wrapped in brioche dough and then fried -- beautiful. Succulent and mildly flavored, it was the perfect lunch dish with little spheres of potatoes and the ramps. Hubby's sausage was a bolder dish -- the sausage looked a lot like kielbasa (I did not try it) and he enjoyed it a lot, although now he has confirmed that he does not like green chick peas either (not the chef's fault).

For dessert I asked for and was happy to see the restaurant now serves cold brew iced coffee. It's bold chocolates flavor paired nicely with the crunchy chocolate beignets with vanilla ice cream I chose. Hubby went for the matcha custard with red bean ice cream, which was an intensely flavored modern take on the classic Asian dessert flavors of green tea and red bean plus it incorporated NYC's current matcha-mania. His dessert was a bit too intense for me, but he thought my iced coffee was a bit too intense for him, and his iced tea went nicely with the matcha concoction.

Service throughout was well-paced and there when you wanted them, and it was nice to chat a few moments with our waiter. The only tiny thing was when I asked for a refill on my cold brew iced coffee the waiter seemed a little hesitant and then brought me half a glass. I don't know if they were running out or they wanted us out of there. It actually wasn't a problem for me as I really was fine with half a glass for my second round, but I noticed.

Nevertheless, it was basically one of those perfect NYC lunches where I feel fortunate to live in this area so I can easily experience this level of food, service, and atmosphere that is just not available everywhere. If you are a visitor to NYC and you are up for a "nicer" lunch, this might be a good stop for you if you are going to the MOMA or Rockefeller Center, Fifth Ave., etc. If you are visiting this area on a weekday I would probably suggest you make reservations for the more formal dining room for lunch since it has a big glass wall looking out onto the MOMA's sculpture garden and this Bar Room does not have that view.

Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

This was a lovely lunch with impeccable service - friendly, professional and with just the right amount of attentiveness. The dining room is a beautiful tranquil space looking out to MOMA's sculpture garden.

For us the standout dishes were the poached egg amuse bouche, the king crab starter and the hamachi carpaccio.

If we had to rate the food on its own, we'd say it was well executed and beautifully presented but not particularly innovative. For a summer lunch, the sea bream main course was a little heavy with its cream sauce. It would have been great to see some lighter dishes such as ceviche (as a main course) and chilled soup on the menu.

The wine selection is pretty extensive including the by the glass options. We had an excellent rosé and pinot noir.

If you are looking for an upscale meal to go with your MOMA visit, we'd highly recommend the Modern. From what we can see, it's also a great place for business lunches.