“Red light district in New York”

Gramercy Park Hotel
Ranked #97 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I spent two days at the Gramercy park hotel last week, and I must say it was a stay with mixed feelings.

My first impression was not good, but I will admit that after some time the hotel kind of grew on me and I left with a better feeling than I had the first day.
The hotel lobby is nice but, as the rest of the hotel, dark. Too dark for my taste; almost depressive. And when I say dark, I mean dark red.

I had a room in the 9th floor, at the end of a corridor which, excuse my language, reminded me of a brothel in the red light districts of Amsterdam. Red red red, and almost no light at all. I am sure that this appeals to some people, but not to me.

My room was small and with my two suitcases it was difficult to move around. The bathroom was also very small, but even so one of the best parts of the hotel.

A stay at the Gramercy park hotel is not cheap at all, and when it comes to value for money a stay at this hotel is a really bad deal. Once again - as usual when staying in New York - I got really annoyed about paying so much money for a room, but still have to pay 16 USD for 24 hours internet connection. Why the heck can´t you just put this cost in the overall rate of the room? That way me as a customer will not feel that I am being robbed.

The best thing about the hotel is the location and the people working here. They were very nice and helpful. How ever it is not perfect service when the hotel information says that there will be complimentary coffee in the bar and this doesn't come true. Or when you ask for a complimentary coffee 10 minutes to late and have to pay for it instead.

In my opinion this is an average hotel; been here once, will not visit twice.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
9  Thank Imedvindfranord
Write a ReviewReviews (1,488)

Reviewed 12 May 2012

The hotel was beautiful in a gothic sort of way. We got upgraded to a one bedroom suite and it was really nice to have the second room. The bar was gorgeous and the chandeliers in both rooms added a nice class. The Lobby and Bar area are filled with amazing art and art tour groups regularly come through the hotel to look at the art.

The service was outstanding. As soon as we arrived at the hotel, we never saw our bags until they arrived in our room a few minutes after we got in. The doorman staff walked us to the private Gramercy Park to unlock the door for us whenever we wanted. They attended to our room at least three times a day. Once to refresh the sheets and towels etc. They came in a second time to clean up and to open the blinds. They always came in before we got back to the hotel to refresh everything, close the shades and start a little candle in the bedroom.

The location cannot be beat. Right next to Madison Square Park, it is now at one of the newest food cultural centers in New York. Many of Danny Meyer's restaurants are within walking distance (and even the in house restaurant is owned and run by him), so you are next to some of the greatest restaurants in the city. Mario Bataly's monster Italian Market / Caffe / Wine Bar/ Gelato/ everything Italian is only a couple blocks away (Eataly). The original Shake Shack, with it's epic lines (totally worth it), is in Madison Square Park. When we were there, there was a food stand pop up market that had the best of the NYC Street food vendors there.

Also, it was a short walk to the Highline, where we headed south to the Chelsea Market and Greenwich Village (if you like walking...).

Overall, everything was fantastic. The only bad thing was that the Rooftop Terrace was closed during the time that we were there, and that was one of the reasons that I originally booked the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank liveeattravels
Reviewed 9 May 2012

My daughter wanted to get married in New York and after doing some research chose The Gramercy as the wedding venue. What a fabulous choice. The setting was just amazing, all the staff were super friendly and the food was top notch. The wedding took place at 7:00pm in the evening on the top terrace of the hotel with the night lights of New York in the backdrop - magnificent. It was well worth the extra effort needed to organise a wedding at long distance.

The nice sized rooms in the hotel were clean and well stocked with lovely toiletries and a fabulous drinks cabinet. The room service breakfast 'the morning after' was superb. I loved this hotel.
If there was a word better than perfect I would use it here !

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank ahowe10
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We recently held an event in the penthouse suite and everything about our stay was amazing. The event lasted a few days so we had the pleasure of spending a large amount of time at the hotel. The staff was beyond helpful and happy to work with us on even our craziest of requests. Michelle and Danielle were amazing and helped us in every way possible. I can not say enough good things about the Gramercy Park Hotel!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank JulieC126
Reviewed 7 May 2012

This was a part business, mostly pleasure trip. We loved our room, great decor overlooking green space. Seriously, I wanted to take home one of the chairs. The drinks cabinet was very nice as well, quite classy. The bathroom was nice sized, with excellent water pressure, tub, and great toiletry products. The service in the hotel was very good - no complaints at all, and the concierge was very helpful. The Maierlino (?) restaurant was another story, however. We had an "interim" meal there on Friday, as we were too late for lunch, and needed to get a quick bite there before a meeting. The food was very good, but the staff was too cool for school. If you're not a regular; they can't be bothered. We also tried breakfast Saturday morning, but the menu items were too fussy. My husband's scrambled egg dish was truly awful; the waitress did notice it was almost totally uneaten and took them off our bill. Room service breakfast the next morning was a much better choice, with fairly normal menu options and perfectly cooked bacon - really hard to get with room service.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple