“Had a great stay in Harlem”
Review of Candy Hill Harlem

Candy Hill Harlem
Ranked #31 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 April 2010

This Harlem themed bed and breakfast was nice. Beautiful art work and antiques throughout the bed and breakfast. Me and two of my friends stayed in the Josephine Baker room. The beds were comfortable and our room had a small kitchenette and bathroom and cable TV and internet access. We used the refrigerator quite a bit to store all the good food we sampled on Amsterdam Ave. I would describe it as charming. Imagine staying at a family member or friends home. The best part of the bed and breakfast was the breakfast prepared by Bernadette and Jeremy. The other good thing about this bed and breakfast is the location. A half block to the bus and a few blocks from the subway, wonderful location. We were minutes away from Broadway where we saw Fences and Fela. The neighborhood is a working class neighborhood, with lots of small deli and takeout restaurants of various cuisines (Italian, Spanish, Ecuadorian, Caribbean, Chinese). The bed and breakfast is on a nice quiet street right off of a busy street with lots of good food. Before making reservations, read all of the information. I thought that the breakfast was included but discovered during checkout that the breakfast was not included and that there was an extra charge for the yummy breakfast we had eaten. I did not remember reading that there was a charge for breakfast on the website, so ask questions beforehand if you have any about the pricing structure. Also, if something is not right, do speak up and let the owner (Jeremy) know - immediately. I told the Jeremy that the water was not hot on day 2 of our visit and he dismissed me, saying that me and my two friends were not turning the faucet to the correct position. You would think that 3 adult women know how to use a shower faucet and can tell if the hot water is not working, but he did not check it out on my initial complaint and told me to turn it slightly instead of all the way to the left. On my second complaint Jeremy came to our rooms (to show us how to get hot water) and discovered that our complaint was valid, but, it was too late, we had taken cold showers for 3 days, but he DID compensate us for the inconvenience - which was very important to me - although my preference would have been that he investigate the lack of hot water based on my initial complaint. I think customer satisfaction is very important. I would stay here again and I recommended it to others. It was a good bed and breakfast experience and the people and places in Harlem were wonderful.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 April 2010

we stayed in Sugar Hill Harlem for almost one week and really enjoyed our days and nights in the b&b as well as strolling around in Harlem... Jeremy gave us a lot of advices, so we also had a great day by bike along the river to Battery park and back through the streets in downtown (Thanks Jeremy :-)). One of the great journey in Manhatten... And if you are looking for a good place to eat in Harlem, try the italian restaurant near Fairways.
With the underground you are downtown in a few minutes and to the airport it just takes 1 hour and 10 minuts by Airtrain.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2010

Stayed at the inn a couple of nights and had a great time! The place is lovely, truly feels like home. The Lena room is very romantic. Great view of the street -- keep the windows open! Breakfast is probably the best part - delicious!! The neighborhood is easily one of the loveliest in New York. Beautiful brownstones, especially on Convent Ave. Getting in is easy at any time of day - just pick up the keys at the lock box by the door. Express train just a cpl mins away, so the rest of Manhattan is easily accessible.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. We were not at Sugarhill itself but at Convent Ave. We stayed in Nina's room which was spacious, very clean and with a comfy bed. Bathroom was large with a great walk in shower and fluffy towels. We had the use of a very well equipped kitchen with all mod cons and space to eat. There was also a sitting room with access to a large TV and free internet access. Breakfasts were available at Sugarhill a short walk away priced $5, They were delicious and a good range of food was offered with lots of freshly brewed coffee. We did have some misgivings about staying in Harlem however this was completely unfounded. The subway was very convenient, the local people very friendly and helpful. At no time did we feel uncomfortable, the area was very quiet. Jeremy the owner was extremely helpful and gave us plenty of good advice and was very knowledgeable of he city. Bernadette the housekeeper was great and got us tickets for the Apollo theatre and nothing was any trouble to her whatsoever. We plan to return to New York and will most certainly stay here again., we had a great time!

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed 2 April 2010

I just stayed three nights in Dizzy's room....it was clean, comfortable and had a great bathroom. It was up three flights of stairs, but that's New York! Very quiet and relaxed....The neighborhood was quiet and friendly! My daughter and I had breakfast one morning at the main Inn and the food was yummy! There is a small ($5) charge for breakfast, which was well worth it!
I'll be staying there again in July and I'm looking forward to the visit.

• Stayed: March 2010