“Love love love”

Candy Hill Harlem
Ranked #31 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Thanks to Jeremy for renting out this great place of his.
My husband and I always seek out accommodation overseas that is individual and we were most definitely not disappointed. Beats staying in a faceless chain where you could be anywhere in the world.
Breakfast was great - loads of choice. Jeremy is a great cook. My husband loved the cookies so much I had to ask Jeremy for the recipe!
Great area and very close to the subway to take you anywhere you like.
Would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed: September 2010

Reviewed 4 September 2010

The place was fantastic. A charming eccentric Victorian house with original features to wonder at. Jeremy welcomed us warmly to the house, making us feel right at home. Our room "Miles Room" has it's own kitchen, kingsize bed and arm chairs to relax in after a hard days exploring.

Our room was road facing so it saw a little traffic, but you're staying in the "city that never sleeps" so don't expect country silence. It was cleaned impeccably everyday and Bernadette was fantastic!

Location Wise: So it's a tube journey from the center of Manhattan to Harlem but as Londoners we found this easy! As far as Harlem's reputation goes, we actually found it to be fine. It's a lot like Hackney with; beautiful architecture, a gospel choir and a diverse culture. Strolling back after the Yankees game at 10pm didn't worry us.

It beats any chain hotel hands down!

Reviewed 1 September 2010

I wasn't sure about staying at the "other" Sugar Hill which is six bloxks away from the main house, but it was an absolute joy. It seemed as if we had the place to ourselves. We stayed in Dizzy's Room on the top floor. As some one who does do steps on a normal basis, i thought this would put me off. It didn't. Their is a full kitchen available for use. Our room had a king size bed and a futon so it could have easily slept four. The bathroom had an old claw foot tub. I didn't get a chance to try it out but I will on my next visit. Their is a computer and printer available at no charge to use. Breakfast is at the main house but you could make your own and save a few $$. The neighborhood was quiet. My friend and I went to St Nick Jazz Pub ( about 1 1/2 blocks away) and returned to the BnB around 3 am. No one bothered us. It is one block from the subway. The express train is 3 stops from Mid Town. We did have to catch a cab from the Theater District and it only ran us $20. I sprained my foot and ankle in Times Square so the subway was definitely out.

Jeremy the owner is very knowledge about the area and things to do. I loved this BnB and would definetly make reservations to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Sugar Hill was a great place for my husband and I to stay, while visiting our daughter for her surprise 30th birthday weekend. We stayed in Josephine room on 3rd floor, Need to be able to do stairs (no problem for us) Jeremy was very welcoming and helpful in terms of directions, and local info. Accommodation was VERY comfortable. Beautifully appointed room. Interesting books, Hi fi worked great. Full kitchen, lovely bathroom. Great breakfast, cozy courtyard garden. Much prefer this type of accommodation to a hotel room. All information given on line was accurate and helpful. Fun to be part of the neighbourhood and away from the Times Square craziness. Very close to transportation. Safe area to walk in at night. Would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 16 August 2010

We enjoyed our stay very much. Our room was clean and very spacious and decorated in great colours with a fun atmosphere. Great bedding and towels! The apartment was very clean and had everything you would need. The 8:30 breakfast didn't work out for us as we were rushing to get to some attractions so we missed out on the Spanish tarts and other great sounding foods served. The coffee was great! The people (Jeremy and Bernadette) are also very nice and helpful. The negative was it was far away from the center of NY. We found the commute too long to be able to zip back to the room before dinner or drop off packages, etc. We took the subway all the time and bought the $8.25 day pass - which we highly recommend if you want to save some $. The ride was at least 1/2 hr from Time Square. Cab rides were $20-$25 which starts to add up. The neighbourhood was safe although we didn't take the subway back at night. We left the car on the street (free!) which worked out for us and saved on the expensive midtown parking of NY.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
Chelsea
Colonial House Inn
Colonial House Inn
#6 of 78 in New York City

Been to Candy Hill Harlem? Share your experiences!