New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Used to be fabulous...staff turnover made LH iffy” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lafayette House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lafayette House
Ranked #391 of 477 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles
“Used to be fabulous...staff turnover made LH iffy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2010

To get a sense of what Lafayette House is all about, read the previous reviews. The building and accoutrements ARE pretty special. It is not for everyone but serves a unique need in NYC....much more like a private house than a hotel.
The downside is that a hotel set-up like this requires GREAT management and staff. The longtime manager was recently let go and this has really changed the place. After staying at Lafayette house tens of times over the past few years, we checked in recently and had an appallingly bad experience. (The new manager was on holiday when we were there, so we were subjected to the staff on hand and this may have been part of the problem.)
Let's just say: 1) if you get the wrong room, it's no fun. we had an entire family staying there and half of us got a great room in front while the others got a terrible room in back. 2) Our fireplace broke, nearly set the room on fire while we were out, and had to be disconnected for the rest of our stay. 3) They misran our credit card and called us in the middle of the night to demand a new CC number. They re-ran it (after waking us up) and found it was fine. Don't wake your guests for your mistakes, especially when they are longtime guests. 4) Unlike our many previous visits, we felt unwelcome, the staff was rude and unhelpful and in general, all the charm and "specialness" were gone.
I can't tell you if this was an isolated incident or not but we won't be back to find out.

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sworn2Fun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2009

I've stayed in several hotels in NYC and I will never stay anywhere else but the Lafayette House ever again! It's a beautiful hotel in a great location. I was traveling with two teenages and our room had a queen sized bed and they brought in a very comfortable air mattress. The room is very large for a NYC hotel room (sitting room with fireplace was gorgeous) and the bathroom was quite nice and well outfitted. If you want to stay in a place that is more like living in a NYC neighborhood than a box hotel --- this is your kind of place!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2009

If you want a concierge telling you where to go, and hot and cold running lattes and a spa with an in-house masseuse, this isn't the place for you. But if you like the privacy and peace of being in a real house, sleeping in a huge room (suite-sized, really), right smack bang in Noho just a stroll from Soho and Nolita and the LES and the West Village and well, everywhere, then this is the place for you.
It's decoated, as mentioned, as though an eccentric, arty great-aunt did it in the late 40s and it hasn't been changed since. The bed is comfy (if a little noisy...), the tv is awesome (and has DVD player, HBO on demand, etc), the shower is INCREDIBLE and the bath is about four feet deep.
One of the reviews alleged that it's not clean and everything is falling apart - completely untrue. It's spotless, and the threadbare rug is part of the charm, darling. Perhaps she'd be happier at a Marriott.
The one thing that does need changing: the drapes. No matter how you arrange them, there's a two-inch crack on either side of the windows and light comes straight in. Not ideal for jetlag.
There's no room service, as mentioned, but the B Bar and Grill next door does great coffee and brunch and incredible burritos, there's a sushi bar downstairs, Five Points around the corner does one of the best burgers I've ever tasted and well, it's New York. You're never going to starve, are you?
Oh, and the staff, whilst not visible, are definitely available: I somehow broke the TV (damn remote controls) and sheepishly rang them to ask what to do. The guy came right up and fixed it within about one minute. That wouldn't be so quick in most hotels.
I'd definitely stay here again... and I'd ask for a room with a courtyard. Those sound awesome.
We go to NY a lot and tend to try new hotels each time... but I'm definitely coming back to Lafayette House. I wonder if I can get them to change the curtains first...

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

The most fabulous room we've ever stayed in. Had soooo much character and warmth. Perfect location, perfect atmosphere and perfect service. We didn't want to leave and will definitely go back!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Beverly Hills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

Being an avid traveler I consider myself savvy in the process of choosing Hotels. My standards are quite high and I expect a great deal from the staff down to the quality of soap. I was hesitant to stay at a boutique hotel in NY as it is a departure from my usual mainstream choice, but the location was unbeatable. Upon arrival I realized this was going to be a unique experience. The hotel far surpassed my expectations and I found myself feeling as if I arrived at my own brownstone home in the city, outfitted with an exceptional staff. From the cozy feel of the room’s eclectic design and antique furniture to the grandeur of the high vaulted ceiling and oversized fireplace, the combination was exquisite. It will most defineitly be incorporated into my New York experience again and again.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends