“Dirty disgusting bathrooms & a manager that does not care.”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #347 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We have stayed here twice. Once when it first opened and this time. The first time was not too bad, cockroaches in the bathroom and a shower that flooded, but we loved the style of the hotel and the location, so we hoped that they had addressed the shower issue in the time between our stays,
They did not and it just got worse. The shower fully floods and there is mold beneath the platform. Towels are replaced based on their laundry facility's whim. We were there for a week and only received full towel service twice and this required a call to housekeeping both times, where we were informed that they simply do not get enough towels to service all of their rooms. We came back to our room one time to find that they had put sanitary covers on our dirty glasses, one still half filled with water. We brought this to the managers attention and he shrugged and asked me what the problem was. It was clear to me that he constantly dealt with complaints of this kind and just did not care anymore. This is not a 4 star hotel... It may look like one, but they are sadly lacking in both service and cleanliness, the 2 most important aspects of a well run hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Melissarstar
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear Melissasrstar,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager, I am so disappointed to hear of the challenges you experienced with the cleanliness of your restroom and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you during your stay. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at the property if you would like to discuss your expereince in greater detail or if I may be of any further assistance moving forward.

Jennifer Baldwin

Write a ReviewReviews (6,318)

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I come because I used to watch gossip girl. And I now just going to stop watching this soap drama. I don't have any happy memory here. The only positive thing about this hotel is the location.

• Stayed: February 2012

Dear Boston521,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I sincerely appreciate you providing us with your feedback on your most recent stay with us. I apologize that we do not provide slippers however we do have plush Frette robes in all of our rooms. Although there are no coffee makers in the rooms, we have an amazing restaurant, Ed's Chowder House, that offers a full breakfast as well as coffee service each morning. All of our beds are draped in comfortable Frette linens and duvet covers as well as a quilted throw. If you would like to discuss your concerns in greater detail or if I may be of any future assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Hotel. I look forward to hearing from you and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire in the near future

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in February for business. Nice lobby with lots of seating so it was easy for business meetings. Plus there is a bar that definitely gets a happy hour crowd. Ate 2 lunches and a breakfast at the restaurant on the 2nd floor which is really nice and bright and sunny. The breakfast buffet was $26 so not cheap but typical for a nice NYC hotel breakfast buffet I guess. Room was small (not the smallest ever in NYC) but totally fine for a couple nights and was nice and modern. Bathroom was nice too. No complaints whatsoever. Free wifi in the lobby but you have to pay to use Internet in your room.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear AmityL,

WOW!!! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

JEnnifer

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Although I had been in this hotel years ago and it was old and funky, the location couldn't have been nicer. When I went back for four nights - it was super modern and super cool. Great staff, right down to the people handling the front doors - and still wonderful location. It is now my hotel of first choice for the Big Apple (subway connections, ease of taxi, airy, top part of town and great for after work walks in any direction!)

Room Tip: If a "view" is important then you need to request it
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Dear Gedaliah G,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager of the Hotel, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

I stayed at the Empire Hotel for 8 nights during New York Fashion Week and had the best stay I've ever had in a long time. I had stayed at the Hudson Hotel before and had a horrible experience, so I was little apprehensive at first staying at a hotel I had never stayed before, but I was greeted by a very friendly and professional employee named Mariana as I checked-in who immediately put me at ease and made sure I was happy with my room. Everything was perfect (and I don't use that word often); Friendly and helpful staff, great continental breakfast (more food and variety than I was expecting), my room was always clean and fast check-in and check-out.

Room Tip: I was staying for a whole week and didn't care about the view, my concern was to get a room larg...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business