“Average accomodations, GREAT location!”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #340 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Was pleasantly surprised at the renovated digs of the Empire Hotel. The only reason I didn't rate it as very good was because of the bathroom. When we took showers, alot of water ended up on the floor so we had to mop it up with towels. Clearly, an unanticipated error in the design.

The bed, pillows and duvet were a great upgrade.

We stayed on the first floor, which was suprisingly not horribly noisy. And we were only steps away from the workout center, which besides great equipment, always had good water.

We kept being surprised at how close it was to everything! Sure, the room was close but it wasn't claustrophobic.

Room Tip: Get a room that's lower down from the club on the top floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lauraleah
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear lauraleah,

Thank you for posting your review of the Empire Hotel on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC (from Chicago!)!!

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (6,385)

Reviewed 21 February 2012

This is my third time staying at The Empire. Each time I have a good experience. The staff is always nice and helpful. It's a great location. You can either walk to a ton of places or grab the train (either at Lincoln Center or Columbus Circle) to places further away.
THE ROOMS ARE SMALL, if you need a large room, you should book a suite or choose another place, however if you are like me and are only using a room for sleeping, showering and changing clothes, then its perfect (I had a standard queen. The king rooms are a little bigger, but not by much, so I just opted for the queen). The club is nice or if you want something quieter, you can hang around in the in the lobby or on the mezzanine, they have great seating in those places if you want to have a drink and relax. Also, because I had stayed at the hotel a few times prior, they did send me an email with special offers (I got one night for free) and if you are a returning guest they have a nice card and cookie waiting for you in your room :)

Room Tip: Don't book a queen room if you need/want a larger sized room. Book a suite instead. The king s...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Lenetra

Dear Lenetra,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I am so pleased to hear you are a loyal guest of our property. Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay with us. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at the Hotel if I may be of any assistance moving forward.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here on Valentine's Day because of it's close proximity to Lincoln Center. We arrived about 1:30 pm and knew our room probably wouldn't be ready until the 3pm check-in time. The man at the front desk asked for our cell # and said they'd call us when the room was ready. We went out for a stroll through Central Park and around 3pm started to head back to the hotel. We never received a call but assumed the staff didn't call because we knew check-in was at 3. We planned to go back to the room, relax for 30+ minutes and then shower for our 5pm dinner reservation. When we went to get our key from the front desk it was approximately 3:10. We were told our room had a problem and we would have to wait 15 minutes more. I was highly annoyed because the man didn't offer us an apology or even a drink at the lobby bar. We waited in the lobby for EXACTLY 20 minutes. I then sent my husband back up to the desk to get our key. The same gentleman said it was going to be another 20+ minutes. My husband then heard another man at the desk offering a different room to a woman who was evidently not pleased w/ her current room. We demanded another room because it was already 3:40 at this point and the man said "there is nothing else available" and we'd just have to sit tight. No apology...NOTHING. My husband said he wanted to speak w/ the manager because after overhearing the other woman getting a choice of room, there was clearly another room available. If I pay for a hotel room from 3pm until noon the next day, I expect it to be ready. If it is not, another room should be offered. We basically argued w/ the man until finally around 3:50 they gave us another room. The room was very nice, but we had NO TIME to relax and just barely made my 5pm dinner reservation. My husband had to skip his shower altogether. The hotel was very pretty, but the large amount of dust on the floor in the lobby was overwhelming.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pinapopper

Dear pinapopper,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. On behalf of the entire Empire team, I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced when you first arrived at the Hotel. Please be assured I have shared your posting with our Executive Team to address within their respective Departments. I do hope to have the opportinity to welcome you back to the Empire the next time you are in NYC. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if I may be of any future assistance.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Great place. The valet, bellhop, front desk, housekeeper, bartender, restaurant madre d, all made for a really great experience. Our junior suite was really beautiful, most comfortable bedding, convenient tv that angled in all directions off of the wall, the snacks and drinks weren't overly expensive and the system didnt charge you for just picking up an item like some modern amenity trays and refrigerators. The only down side in the room was that the shower was not that much pressure and the half-shower door lets water out. Lobby could use some new fabric on the furniture, glass doors into the lobby are very heavy, rooftop bar smells, has sticky floors, way too crowded, waitress was very rude.

Room Tip: Hotel for NYC was unbelievably inexpensive, get upgraded!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Joefrombrooklyn,

As a fellow "Brooklynite" I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and will be sharing your insights with our Executive Team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire in the near future.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Cool hotel, incredible location across the street from Lincoln Center. Do not get an inside room-it overlooks an airshaft. We were upgraded to a suite by the manager.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Dear SassySandi049,

As the Assistant General Manager, I am so pleased to heary ou enjoyed your most recent stay with us at the Empire Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.