“No idea where everyone else stayed”

Amsterdam Court Hotel
Ranked #338 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“No idea where everyone else stayed”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I have no idea what hotel others are talking about but the Amsterdam Court for us was a major disappointment, so much so that we actually gave up our room, checked out early and went somewhere else.

Where to begin? Firstly, the website photos look nothing like the actual building. Its dark and cramped. We stayed on the second floor, with a room facing inwards (no view). The lifts were old and slow which was an indicator of the quality to come. The hallway is faded and worn, with stained paint and it is in need of decoration. To say that the building smells of cigarettes is an understatement, in fact it smelt so much (we're non-smokers) that upon opening the suit case after leaving we could still smell old stale cigarettes.

The room itself offered no improvement. It was tiny, with 2 feet of clearance around the entire queen sized bed (even less by the far wall); the bedside lamp would not stay on. The bathroom was so laughably small that your knees would touch the door if you wanted to use the loo. the bath itself was so engrained with dirt that even though it might have been cleaned it certainly didn't look it. The shower took a good few minutes to heat up and was never hotter than warm.

The radiator in the room would vent and make a loud hissing noise every 5 minutes (it must date from the 1950s) interrupting sleep. The air conditioner sounded like a articulated lorry pulling a heavy load. The bedding was old and scratchy, and the mattress about as soft as hardboard.

I really can’t find many positives at all, the room was in such desperate need of refurbishment that we felt like we were in out dated student accommodation.

The staff were, however, fine and we can’t find fault there.

I am not a fussy person but I was embarrassed to have booked such a sorry state of a hotel. We didnt event take holiday photos in the room we were so ashamed. Seriously, keep your expecations low.

trust me, go somewhere else. this is 2 star accommodation, nothing more.

Room Tip: the 2nd floor smells of cigarettes so avoid like the plague, go for the best room they offer and hop...
2 Thank Matthew S
Yovana C, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Dear Matthew S

Thank you for your recent visit with us and taking the time to review us.

I am sorry to hear your dissappointment with regards to your recent stay with us and fell short of your expectations. Unfortunatly our second floor is a smoking floor. However it is unfortunate that your concerns were not addressed prior to your departure or during your stay. We are a better property due to guests like yourselves who share their feedback both positive and constructive. Please feel free to reach out to me at ychinasamy@amsterdamhospitality.com. I'm very confident that should you wish to return; we can and will exceed all of your expectations.

Vana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Turkish first
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We had the Deluxe room with King-size bed. The whole room got filled with just the bed, pretty cramped. Breakfast was fine. Location was awesome. Just cant beat that. We had a groupon that we used for our stay, so it was a great deal we got for the location. View from room was bad though, but we did not expect much on that front anyways.

1 Thank Vasanth1982
Dear Vasanth1982

Thank you very much for your review! We are so pleased that you had a good time staying with us, and that you got to take advantage of our prime location. Thank you for choosing The Amsterdam Court , and we look forward to seeing you again for your next trip to beautiful NYC!

Reviewed 29 February 2012

The location of the hotel is great!!! Times square is literally jus around the corner! And the subway/train station right next door. The ppl at reception are all very nice and helpful Especially Liza an Jason. The hotel is very affordable but The hallways could use some renovating. If I ever go to manhattan again I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012
Jesseniarojas,

I'm so happy that you enjoyed your visit to the Amsterdam Court, Thank you for taking your precious time to review us. I'll share your feedback with all of our staff including Liza and Jason. Our renovation is underway and we hope you return to your home in New York City again soon!

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Karina and Natalie were very friendly and helpful. Making a stay the best. If I was going to vist NYC, it would definitely because of Katrina and Natalie.

Dear Ed B

Thank you for your recent visit with us and taking the time to review us. I so glad to hear that Karina and Natalie made your stay. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. We enjoy interacting with all of our guests one on one and making you feel like you are visitng home.

We look forward to welcoming you home to The Amsterdam Court again soon.

Brisbane
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed here for 8 days early in February. After reading some of the reviews, I was a little apprehensive about the quality of the hotel. However, my concerns were completely unncessary, as the hotel was a wonderful place to stay in Manhattan.

The rooms are clean, comfortable and serviced daily. They are a little on the small side, but for the cost I paid ($90 per night including taxes), I was more than happy. The location is fantastic - Times Square is literally right around the corner (a 1 minute walk) and the blue and red metro lines are both located less than 20 metres from the hotel door. It is a great central spot where you are equal distance from downtown and uptown Manhattan.

I also found the reception desk very helpful - they offered me a map when I arrived, took my bags to and from the taxi and were generally very pleasant to deal with.

Two small issues: the heating in my room was a little inconsistent and I did have to place a call to reception to investigate the problem. However this was fixed within half and hour. The rooms also do not have wifi, however there is a Starbucks 1 block away with free wifi access.

When I return to Manhattan, I will definitely stay at the Amsterdam Court. I could not justify spending any extra money on a more expensive hotel, when the Amsterdam Court provided a perfect base at a great price.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank holidaymaker101_11
Yovana C, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear holidaymaker101_11

Thank you for taking the time to review us!

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent visit with us here at Amsterdam Court Hotel. It's very kind of you to take the time to share your feedback. My apologies for the heating, I was glad to hear however this was expedited and resolved within a timely manner. I will share your kind comments with all of our staff.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to your home in NYC.