I have no idea what hotel others are talking about but the Amsterdam Court for us was a major disappointment, so much so that we actually gave up our room, checked out early and went somewhere else.
Where to begin? Firstly, the website photos look nothing like the actual building. Its dark and cramped. We stayed on the second floor, with a room facing inwards (no view). The lifts were old and slow which was an indicator of the quality to come. The hallway is faded and worn, with stained paint and it is in need of decoration. To say that the building smells of cigarettes is an understatement, in fact it smelt so much (we're non-smokers) that upon opening the suit case after leaving we could still smell old stale cigarettes.
The room itself offered no improvement. It was tiny, with 2 feet of clearance around the entire queen sized bed (even less by the far wall); the bedside lamp would not stay on. The bathroom was so laughably small that your knees would touch the door if you wanted to use the loo. the bath itself was so engrained with dirt that even though it might have been cleaned it certainly didn't look it. The shower took a good few minutes to heat up and was never hotter than warm.
The radiator in the room would vent and make a loud hissing noise every 5 minutes (it must date from the 1950s) interrupting sleep. The air conditioner sounded like a articulated lorry pulling a heavy load. The bedding was old and scratchy, and the mattress about as soft as hardboard.
I really can’t find many positives at all, the room was in such desperate need of refurbishment that we felt like we were in out dated student accommodation.
The staff were, however, fine and we can’t find fault there.
I am not a fussy person but I was embarrassed to have booked such a sorry state of a hotel. We didnt event take holiday photos in the room we were so ashamed. Seriously, keep your expecations low.
trust me, go somewhere else. this is 2 star accommodation, nothing more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay in the Heart of Times Square in Our Boutique Accommodations. The Amsterdam Court Hotel in Times Square provides you with attentive guest services in its convenient Broadway Theater District location. Spend your next stay in the city at our boutique NYC hotel to experience all that the Amsterdam Court has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Amsterdam Court Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Amsterdam Court
- Amsterdam Court Hotel New York
- Amsterdam Hotel New York
- Amsterdam Court New York City
- Amsterdam Court Hotel Nyc