“Best Escargot”
Review of Tree Bistro

Tree Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Tree Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 14,144 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$25 - US$75
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: East Village
Cross street: between 11th and12th st
Transit: Take L train to 1st ave., 6 train to astor place, R/W trains to 8th/NYU, M15 uptown bus to 1st ave./11th st., M15 downtown bus to 2nd ave./12th st. and M8 cross-town bus on 8th st. to 1st ave.
Description: tree serves thoughtfully prepared bistro fare in a casual friendly atmosphere, from small plate charcuterie delights to delectable standards like steamed PEI mussels or steak frites with parmesan truffle fries, along with a full and eclectic seasonal menu. A well rounded wine list, draft and bottled beers, cheese plates and great desserts are also available (don't miss the fried oreo!). Guests can eat in the intimate dining room for a cozy meal, or in the more expansive canopied walled garden - an enchanting secret spot in the heart of the city. The garden is also a great festive space for private parties. Open Tuesday thru Thursday 5-11 pm, Friday & Saturday 5 pm -midnight, delivery service available.
Reviewed 13 March 2015

I still don't know quite how I found this restaurant, but I am so glad I did! I bought tickets to see A Month in the Country at the Classic Stage Company, and was trying to find a restaurant nearby with good food that had a reservation open. After trying a few different sites, I stumbled across The Tree Bistro, only 2 1/2 blocks from the theater.

I was an early diner, 6pm reservation, so only 1 table was taken besides mine, but it slowly began to get busier as I ate. First off, I am a huge fan of escargot, been eating it since I was 12, travelled to Paris twice and had it there, The Tree Bistro's escargot is the best I have ever had. Ordered a wonderful bottle of white, and obviously I ordered the seafood linguine for dinner. "Best Thing I Ever Ate" on Food Network, it goes without saying it was delicious.

Service was good and attentive, had a yummy glass of dessert wine before I braved the cold for my play, and the fact that my waiter was a cute Irishman just made my meal all the better. For the quality of the food, the prices are extremely reasonable, if you are anywhere near this place do yourself a favor and stop by.

1  Thank Danielle T

Reviewed 11 March 2015

Went back last night to this unbelievable little gem. Another fantastic culinary experience. You walk in and are greeted with the warmest and most sincere greeting and service you'll ever get in a restaurant in new York. Went there with work colleagues and ended up staying forever, again. The winners last night were the warm salad, the escargot, the Duck, (youhave to have the DUCK) , the key lime pie and the deep fried oreos. Or you can sit at the bar with a starter and glass of wine and chat with the Irish owner. The other big plus was the very reasonable check atthe end of the night. By the time we left (and we didn't want to) we felt like we'd been adopted by a really happy little family. Can't wait to go back to this place.

1  Thank thomasvincent2014
Reviewed 9 March 2015

I finally tried Tree the other night, having attempted it a few times before only to find it packed to the rafters. It's a very small place with very good food... hence the full tables on most nights. But we wandered in on a recent snowy Tuesday and were so impressed by the food, service, atmosphere and prices that we will definitely be back over and over again. Because it was quiet, we had ample time to chat with the waitress and owner, who were both pleasantly chatty about the art, food and history of the restaurant. Really wonderful! My linguine with clams was delicious. Both of my dinner companions loved their dishes as well, particularly the cassoulet. But the best part by far was dessert. They threw in a little extra treat - really nice touch and made us feel at home with friends. Heading back soon!

Reviewed 1 February 2015

Tree has a great neighborhood bistro feel that wows you with everything. The food was amazing of course, you don't get to 116 out of 11,875 on trip advisor for NYC with bad food. My wife had the seafood linguine and I had the NY Strip. Both were amazing. What made our night was the details from great service, to the owner just taking some time to explain to me the meanings of the paintings on the wall. I'm a photographer and love to hear stories about why they are put on the walls. He didn't hesitate to take the time to explain them to me and you could tell they meant a lot to him. This radiates in the bistro. You can tell he put a lot of time in it and is proud of it. Also, not afraid to jump in and help out. Then came dessert. My wife was set on the bread pudding, which we ordered. When our dessert came it wasn't the bread pudding, but was the fried oreos. I looked up to look for someone to tell and before I had anytime to flag someone down, the owner had our bread pudding in his hands at our table and said "these were supposed to come out together". He had ordered us both so we could try them (the oreos didn't cost us anything). I looked at my wife and she said, "he probably heard you talking about how great you heard they were". Free food doesn't compel me write a review. In fact, this is the first for me on here. There was just something about the whole package of the place that it deserves my rating and my time to come here and give what it deserves. You can have a good restaurant with great food. You can have a GREAT restaurant by adding in the details.

1  Thank Razo681
Reviewed 3 January 2015

Tree Bistro is one of those places the neighborhood locals know well, other city locals learn, and everyone else walks by without realizing what a great place it is by walking in. The restaurant is a long and narrow with a real homey feel, but the backyard garden is the gem - spacious with character and great atmosphere. The food is wonderful - gourmet French and continental dining cooked by talented chefs and served by very professional staff. The variety of items, the appetizers, cheese boards and the great wine selection, as well as the presentation, is top notch. The management is extremely friendly and comes around to every table, making sure everything is to your liking. Certain special events and holidays offer prix fixe meals which combine gourmet with value. Have dined here a few times, and every time was just as wonderful with food cooked and served to perfection. The last meal here was this past New Year's Eve - one prix fixe menu (for example) was a lobster-crab bisque, classic French filet mignon cooked to perfection with au gratin potatoes and haricots verts, and a chocolate cake, all paired with a robust Malbec. Truly gourmet dishes at an extremely reasonable price. Don't just limit going to Tree on holidays, but any day. It will become a neighborhood favorite.

1  Thank jglsongs