“Excellent Hotel!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #284 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Chicago
“Excellent Hotel!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

If you are looking for a good value in this area, I would highly recommend 6 Columbus. I booked my room through a last minute travel app, so the price was extremely reasonable. The room was the typical NYC tiny size, but it was spotlessly clean, the furniture appeared to be new, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was surprisingly spacious, had a heated floor, and quality Kiehl's soap/shampoo/conditioner was provided.

I was a bit surprised not see an iron or ironing board in the room, but I'm sure the hotel staff would have brought one to me had I asked. The staff were quite prompt in providing the extra bed sheet that I requested.

The front desk staff and doormen were extremely friendly and gave me some excellent tips on nearby entertainment options. On my next trip to New York, when considering my hotel options, 6 Columbus will be at the very top of my list. I cannot emphasize enough how pleasant my stay here was.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ralph R, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear PN_Chicago

Thank you for your kind words! I am very happy to hear you had a pleasant stay with us.
in regards to the Iron and Ironboard, we do have them available upon request. Please contact me directly for your next reservation and i will make sure to place an Iron and board in your room prior to your arrival.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you to 6 Columbus again soon.

Kind regards

Ralph Renz
6 Columbus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

From check-in to check-out the staff at 6 Columbus was top notch. The property reminded me of a stay in a boutique hotel in South Beach Miami. I booked with an internet travel site for a last minute deal, and was supposed to move to a different hotel for the last two days of my stay. I enjoyed the first night so much, I asked if they had availability to extend, and they did, so I cancelled the other stay. The location is amazing, at the top of W 58th just as you enter Columbus Circle. It was an easy walk to Times Sq/Broadway and Hell's Kitchen resturants, A subway stop is directly across the street.

I was in a king room and did not find the room to be loud from street noise as I have in past NYC hotels. Also found the room size to be bigger than what I normally expect from NYC. Room was nicely decorated, not over the top with a good color scheme. The heated floor in the bathroom was a nice surprise. Be sure to check out the roof deck, it wasn't open for the season for service, but was open to sit and work from, it was a nice quiet "retreat" from a busy day of work.

As others have mentioned the restaurant is supposed to be amazing, but it was full each night I wanted to try it. People waiting to go in did also rave about the food.

The staff can truly make or break your experience, and as mentioned in the opening they were just amazing. Welcoming you back each time you returned, and consistently checking to make sure everything was top notch.

I'll be sure to return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ralph R, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Dear Mr. Craig_Finley,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We love that you enjoyed your stay so much. You are correct that Blue Ribbon offers amazing sushi and it is very popular, however should you choose to return (and we hope you do!) please contact our Concierge as it is our pleasure to make a reservation for you. We also offer many of the same options on our Room Service menu. Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to write this positive review, and we look forward to welcoming you back again!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Location: Fantastic! Right on the south west corner of Central Park, across from the Time Warner Center and Columbus Circle/59th Street subway stop. Easy walk to most Broadway theaters and Times Square is just a smidge further. Seemed like there were several great restaurants nearby as well.

Service: Superb! All attendants were very responsive and enthusiastic. The concierge also provided two great recommendations as well.

Room: Very nice. Decor was fabulous. The bed was very comfortable.The main unfortunate thing was that the bed platform juts out just enough to make a sharp edge. Both my companion and I hit our shins on the edge---ouch! The other issue was the lighting in the room was a little dim for anything detailed, but sufficient for general use. The bathroom was surprisingly spacious. And the tiles were heated, which was awesome!

WiFi: Unfortunate---$15. There's a Starbucks next store with free WiFi and ample seating.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear atxgal718,

I appreciate your feedback and am glad that you enjoyed the hotel and the location. We are very proud that you felt that we offer such great service - this is the best compliment! I will be sure to look into the bed platform; thank you for the information. Once again, thank you for your review, and we hope to welcome you back on your next trip!
Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

BRILLIANT: Blue Ribbon is the hotel restaurant. You will stay in a lot of hotels. Very few of them will have a hotel restaurant as good as Blue Ribbon.

NOT SO BRILLIANT: A television that didn't work for my stay, with the wrong remote provided and no access to cable channels.

APPRECIATED: The hotel offering me free wi-fi as a result.

NOT APPRECIATED: That it took talking to two different managers on two days to get that discount taken care of. The first manager offered an upgrade to another room the following day, which isn't really all that much fun when you've already unpacked two suitcases.

GREAT LITTLE THING: Heated bathroom tiles! No, really! There's a little knob in the bathroom to adjust the heat, although I couldn't figure out how to work mine.

UNGREAT LITTLE THING: No public ice machine, so the doormen would be summoned to bring up ice (requiring a tip in the process)

GREAT BIG THING: A nice variety of pillows, both firm and soft, even for a full-size bed.

UNGREAT BIG THING: The stairs smelled like vomit.

THE BEST THING: The hotel's location, facing the Time Warner building, means that you're about 20 yards away from some fantastic restaurants (including Per Se! Come on!). There's also a Starbucks next door and a 24-hour Duane Reade (and a NY food cart that's open till 3 AM!) on the corner, and multiple subway lines are within two blocks. So it's a great place to stay in the sense of having both things around and ways to easily get away.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear latrell1,

Thank you for your very honest critique. I will be sure to look into the television issue immediately. We recently upgraded our entire television system to not only have several channels, but also with the best high definition resolution. I am glad that my team was able to offer you compensation since you were inconvenienced. You are correct that at Thompson Hotels we do not have ice machines and our bellmen gladly deliver the ice to you room. Overall, we are pleased to receive your review and will address all "yin" issues right away.
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

My first trip to NYC and I can't say enough good things about it, and the stay at the hotel was a great bonus. I went in Feb so super low season in NYC so hotels were having sales left, right and center. (On a side note, if you can put up with the cold, great time to go! all the good things NYC has to offer without the pesky tourists)
I wanted to shop in NYC so as a concession, I decided to cut the budget for expensive five star hotels and opted for more affordable boutique options. 6 Columbus was suggested to me and i booked a pod thinking that if I can survive in Tokyo living in their pods, I can definitely survive in New York. Fortunately, I didn't have to find out. I was upgraded without asking as I checked in. Room didn't have a view but was spacious and clean. For one night, it was great.
The service was extremely good and everyone is super friendly. Would definitely stay here again.

Only one little thing, you have to pay for wifi... felt a little 2008ish. Who charges for wifi anymore? Forked over my $15 and that was that.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Taipeiworldlywise
Dear Taipeiworldlywise,

Thank you for your feedback. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your first trip to NYC and the hotel! We look forward to welcoming you back for hopefully a second trip!