“Old School New York”

The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #292 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 17 September 2015

We are regular visitors to NYC, having always previously stayed in the financial district. We decided to stay at the Carlyle for a long weekend as a complete change as we wanted to experience an alternative location, whist retaining somewhere quiet and residential.
The Carlyle certainly has much pomp and ceremony. The service was good although at times it did feel as if three people were doing the job of one just to extract more tips from you.
The lift men were a throw back to a different time, although a novelty, completely unnecessary.
The room was certainly considerably bigger than I had expected, and had the feeling that it had been a studio apartment at one time. There was a small kitchenette (which was massively in need of modernisation), and a couple of walk in wardrobes. The bathroom was small (and mirrored on every wall which was a little strange), it was a shame that some of the space from the wasted walkin wardrobe hadn't been shared with the bathroom to make it more comfortable.
I had concerns regarding how noisy the room would be as it had wooden floorboards and interconnecting door (my pet hate), it was however very quite.
The house keeping was a little hit and miss and was obviously dependent on who was doing it.
I guess it is typical of this type of hotel in NYC, but I did miss not having the usual coffee machine in the room for a cup of coffee first thing in the morning which in my experience is typical of the more business hotels in NYC.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2015

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback. I am always disappointed when issues arise with one of our guests during their stay. Please allow me to extend my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay, particularly with the inconsistencies with housekeeping and the missing coffee machine in the room. These issues were reviewed with the departments concerned and they are continuing to work on steps to prevent this from happening again.

If you would like to discuss the issues further, we would be honored to speak with you. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at (212) 570 7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

Reviewed 15 September 2015

Our room was charming, the staff, extremely helpful, and the hotel feels like a timeless and classic apartment building. The breakfast/dining room is beautiful and the food is delicious. The bar is famous and a great place to listen to live music and have a drink in a historical and magical setting. An absolute must if you are in NYC.

Room Tip: Our room was on the fourth floor and was lovely and perfect
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2015

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to New York. I’m thrilled that we were able to provide you with a unique experience, and that you enjoyed Bemelmans Bar and the Carlyle Restaurant as well.

I can only hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Carlyle in the near future.

Reviewed 15 September 2015 via mobile

Old world touches like a manned elevator, wonderful piano bar with great talent performing live, delicious buffet breakfasts and very spacious rooms and bathrooms. Definitely our hotel in New York City from now on!

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dcgomez01

On behalf of the entire Carlyle staff, I would like to thank you for the kind words expressed in your review. It has filled me with immense pride and has left me unable to truly express my gratitude, which is a rarity. But I do know that your comments serve as a reminder as to why I love working for this hotel and for its valued guests, like you.

Thank you for allowing us to be your preferred hotel in New York City and for your continued support. We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 15 September 2015

This hotel is my favorite in NYC. The rooms are quite large for NYC, and the service is exceptional. It is low key but very refined. One block away from central park and located on Madison Ave for shopping.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple

Our staff prides itself on extending only the highest levels of quality, service and hospitality, and I take great pleasure in sharing your very kind comments, regarding your recent stay, with them.

Thank you so much for staying with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 15 September 2015

The Carlyle is for me one of the best hotels in NYC. I come often and I enjoy every stay. It has this out of time ambiance with lift operator and old school and outstanding service. Last time, I was there with my new born baby and a nanny. The hotel was helpful and caring. I highly recommend it.
Needless to say the rooms were super clean, the bed very comfortable and the breakfast delicious.
With the Plaza, the Ritz on the Park and the Pier it's one of one of the best high end hotel in NYC.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family

I would like to sincerely thank you for the kind words and for staying with us this past March. I am thrilled that we were able to provide you and your family with outstanding service.

It was a pleasure having you with us, and I speak for the entire staff when I say; we look forward to welcoming you back to The Carlyle in the not so distant future.