The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Grand Hyatt New York(New York City)
US$199
  • Restaurant
Ameritania Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$116
  • Bar/Lounge
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$153
US$134
  • Room Service
Row NYC Hotel(New York City)
US$98
  • Bar/Lounge
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$178
US$145
  • Fitness centre
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$239
  • Pool
US$262
US$190
InterContinental
  • Room Service
Pod 51 Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$139
  • Bar/Lounge
NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$195
  • Bar/Lounge
Conrad New York(New York City)
US$374
US$325
  • Restaurant
All reviewsupper east sidebemelmans barelevator operatorelevator attendantscentral parktower roomnew yorkmadison avenuehardwood floorsclassic hotelelevator servicepublic areasfour seasonshome away from homeliving roomrooms are comfortablewe've stayed
Reviewed 22 September 2015

I have had the opportunity to stay at the Carlyle Hotel in excess of 15 times so far in 2015 and I have some impressions on this Fantastic Hotel and it's Awesome staff I would like to share.

First, it goes without saying that the hotel itself is beautiful. The lobby is gorgeous, as is the Carlyle Restaurant, the Café Carlyle and Bemelmans Bar. The live music at Bemelmans is always superb and I regard Tim and his team as the best bartenders in NY.

I have had the opportunity to stay in standard rooms as well as suites. In each case I have yet to find anything but beautifully decorated, spacious rooms, some with spectacular views of Manhattan or Central Park. The rooms are also kept extremely clean thanks to a first class housekeeping team.

Another of the Carlyle's greatest strengths is it's superb staff. What makes the staff so special is that there is a consistency in the level of service provided across all members of the team. From the moment you pull into the Carlyle parking garage (which is located conveniently steps from the front entrance) you are treated with warmth and respect. The parking lot attendants are friendly and diligent.

The doormen always have a smile or kind word.

The front desk staff is top notch, Moamed, Larry, Marina and others always provide me with a warm greeting, "Welcome back Mr. Bick". The team at the front desk excels at making repeat clients feel special and welcome. They take their jobs seriously and make it a point to chat with me when I arrive, they make the experience personal for me and I appreciate it.

Paul, who frequently helps me get my bags up to my room is great.

The elevator operators are also always warm and courteous, they recognize the fact that I stay at the hotel frequently and always say "welcome back"

Patrick Sewell my "Guest Relationship Manager" is another standout. The fact that he makes it a point to greet me when I arrive and talk with me for a few minutes makes my experience at the Carlyle very special. Over the past eight months the fact that Patrick has taken the time to get to know me (and my family) has made me feel a sense of home when I am at the Carlyle. Patrick is a terrific people person who fosters loyalty amongst the Carlyle clients. When Patrick is not at the hotel I have had the pleasure of working with Sonal Nayyar. Sonal also excels at her job and is extremely friendly, polished and diligent.

In summary, the Carlyle is a world class hotel with a world class team. They excel at making their client base feel special, they personalize the guest experience and reward loyalty. This is not true of so many hotels these days, that is what differentiates the Carlyle and makes it so special.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2015

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback and for your continued support over the years. It has filled me with immense pride to receive and share your kind words to the team, including Patrick, Larry, Marina, Ahmaed, and Sonal.

It was a pleasure having you with us, and I speak for the entire staff when I say; we look forward to welcoming you back to The Carlyle soon!

Reviewed 19 September 2015

My wife and I were married at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia in Vancouver, and wanted to try more Rosewood properties as the level of service in Vancouver was top notch. Although we tend to stay at more modern or newly renovated hotels (Peninsula in Paris & Chicago, Hotel Arts in Barcelona, Mandarin Oriental in Boston and Vega), we were excited to experience the old school charm of the Carlyle.

We arrived around 8:30am after a red-eye and the front desk informed us that some guests had checked out early and that they should be able to get us checked in as soon as housekeeping was through with them. Rather than change clothes and start touring the city, we decided to have breakfast close by (Sant Ambroeus) so that we could properly unpack and freshen up before heading out. After breakfast (maybe 10:30am), we came back to the Carlyle, and front desk advised us that they were still getting the rooms ready. So, we sat in the lobby, and caught up on emails, etc. At 11:30am, we checked again and received the same answer.

So, we decided to get some fresh air and walked around the neighbourhood to check out a few of the fitness studios that we would be frequenting over the next few days. We came back at 1:30pm, and still the room wasn't ready. This was starting to get annoying. We had been walking around the heat of NYC in our jeans and jacket and used up half a day of our 5 day stay just hanging around. It would have been fine if front desk had told us that the room wouldn't have been ready until 3pm (normal check-in). Then, we would have changed into our shorts and headed to midtown or Soho and come back in the afternoon. But, the expectation was set up that it would be ready around 9ish or 10ish.

We finally got checked in around 3pm. The room was OK, very well kept, but as expected, very old school. Probably due to the outstanding service we received at Peninsula Paris a few weeks ago, my wife has developed very high expectations when it comes to hotels, so she provided feedback to the front desk about our experience in the morning. We received an apology at that point, but that was about it.

But, the next day, we received a nice gift (chocolate and a bottle of wine) and a written apology from Sonal (guest relations manager) in our room and that they would do whatever they could to make the rest of our stay enjoyable. Then, on day 2, they upgraded us to a bigger corner room with better views. We ran into Sonal at the spa, and she's got to be one of the most friendly and professional hotel managers we've come across (and that's a lot).

So, although our stay started off with a bad taste in our mouth, the Carlyle went over and beyond our expectations to make amends. We were also very impressed with the Kiehls products in the rooms. We haven't been in the restaurant yet, but notice that it is quite busy, despite not having a lot of visibility from the street so I'm thinking it must be very good. Would definitely recommend the Carlyle to others, especially for the service.

Room Tip: Less road noise from higher floors - there's a hospital nearby so more than fair share of sirens
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2015

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the bad start to your stay, including the miscommunication and having to wait for the room to become available. Rest assured, we have reviewed this with the departments and individuals concerned and steps will taken to prevent this to happen in the future.
We would also like to thank you also for your kind words about Sonal and our team, and I take great pleasure in sharing your very kind comments, regarding your recent stay, with them.

Thank you so much for staying with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 19 September 2015

This Hotel has the charme and feeling of a bygone era. From the Lift attendant in the elevators (day and night) to the decor of the rooms, you forget that you are in 2015. Of course this may be annoying to some people that like the supermodern facilities with state of the art amenities, but in my opinion, once in a while it is nice to experience a property like this. Rooms and bathrooms have an old style look, but they have been updated, so you have all you need in a 5 stars hotel. Location in the Upper East Side is second to none, one block from Central PArk, not far from Metropolitan and Guggenheim Museums. While you stay, pay a visit to the Cafe Carlyle or to Bemelmans Bar for a jazz performance, if you are lucky Woody Allen may be performing as he is a regular. Service is very attentive.

Stayed: August 2015
1  Thank afmiami
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2015

It is with great pleasure to read your kind words about our property and our staff. I’m thrilled that we were able to provide you with a unique experience.

Reviewed 17 September 2015

Like walking into a 1930's movie - this hotel has quiet, pleasant rooms, the upper floors have wonderful views over the city, along Madison or over to Central Park. The food is delicious and the staff couldn't be more helpful or informative.

Room Tip: Try and get an upper room for good views of city rooftops and sunsets.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business

I would like to sincerely thank you for the kind words and for staying with us. I am thrilled that we were able to provide you with a positive experience and that you enjoyed our views, restaurant and service.

Reviewed 17 September 2015

We are regular visitors to NYC, having always previously stayed in the financial district. We decided to stay at the Carlyle for a long weekend as a complete change as we wanted to experience an alternative location, whist retaining somewhere quiet and residential.
The Carlyle certainly has much pomp and ceremony. The service was good although at times it did feel as if three people were doing the job of one just to extract more tips from you.
The lift men were a throw back to a different time, although a novelty, completely unnecessary.
The room was certainly considerably bigger than I had expected, and had the feeling that it had been a studio apartment at one time. There was a small kitchenette (which was massively in need of modernisation), and a couple of walk in wardrobes. The bathroom was small (and mirrored on every wall which was a little strange), it was a shame that some of the space from the wasted walkin wardrobe hadn't been shared with the bathroom to make it more comfortable.
I had concerns regarding how noisy the room would be as it had wooden floorboards and interconnecting door (my pet hate), it was however very quite.
The house keeping was a little hit and miss and was obviously dependent on who was doing it.
I guess it is typical of this type of hotel in NYC, but I did miss not having the usual coffee machine in the room for a cup of coffee first thing in the morning which in my experience is typical of the more business hotels in NYC.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback. I am always disappointed when issues arise with one of our guests during their stay. Please allow me to extend my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay, particularly with the inconsistencies with housekeeping and the missing coffee machine in the room. These issues were reviewed with the departments concerned and they are continuing to work on steps to prevent this from happening again.

If you would like to discuss the issues further, we would be honored to speak with you. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at (212) 570 7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.