“A storied, glorious hotel with great history.”

The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #298 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 3 September 2017

The Carlyle is a beautiful and intergal part of New York's culture and holds many stories having hosted the most exhalted names in politics, the arts, wealth and influence. I have been coming to this hotel since I was a little girl and I have a lot of memories built around the Restaurant, Bemelman's Bar, and the hotel itself. As mentioned many times in the posts, it is the hotel that hosted President Kennedy, British Royalty and, on my most recent stay, Roger Federer.
We live close by and needed a place to stay for a few nights while our floors were being refinished. We booked a lovely deluxe suite and we were very happy with the spacious accommodations. The front office allotted us a large suite with an entry, a large powder room, a living room with a Steinway grand piano (which I actually enjoyed playing...very softly), a large spacious bedroom and a small master bath. On a high floor, facing south, we enjoyed sunlight all day long. The gentleman who checked us in was quite nice and friendly but I was surprised he didn't show us up to our room.
In my view, one doesn't go to the Carlyle for sleek, large spa bathrooms or the greatest and latest in technology. Indeed, even the decor is somewhat beside the point. It's as if a rich aunt had a pied a terre in Manhattan and decorated it once with very nice furniture but never saw the need to bring it up to Architectural Digest standards. I personally love the hardwood floors beneath the large area rugs and the not necessarily perfectly matched furniture. I actually enjoyed the bathroom which I'm sure is not what you will find in the Four Seasons...it is like an old, apartment style bath...ours was mirrored but it was just the basics but I found the tub very relaxing and the whole thing had an unselfconscious charm.

My problem with the Carlyle stems from the fact that this hotel needs to offer the type of world class service that really makes some physical quirks absolutely unimportant.

When I think Mr. Federer chose to stay at the Carlyle as did the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge it is clear the Carlyle is absolutely able to offer an unsurpassed level of service. I like to compare the Carlyle to Claridge's in London. Another very particular style of hotel (but inarguably much more lovely) which will never need automatic drapery controls to exude elegance at every turn. At the Carlyle, though, I definitely get the sense that the level of service a guest receives is based on variables that should not exist in a world class hotel. The service was fine. I have no complaints...but it's not special. At no point was I ever made to feel special or valued which is what the Carlyle needs to offer to every guest. That's how other hotels surpass the Carlyle nowadays...not in glitz but in treating every guest like a VIP. I find, generally, that the top hotels in the US do not go out of their way to spoil their guests like their European counterparts. The Carlyle has an elegance that is unmistakable (and it's located in the best part of NY, without question, and it was meant to appeal, in the old days, to what was referred to as "the carriage trade.") But guests like me don't get that really personalized service such as a bed made to a particular specification or even an additional bar of soap. The days of fruit plates or an evening amenity appear to,have disappeared entirely. The suite was large and very residential in feel. I was as comfortable as could be but I was not pampered. At all.
Two other little things that I would like to mention: the elevator service really needs to improve. Don't get me wrong...I love the small elevators which are still operated by employees of the hotel. The problem is only two elevators out of four are running. This is a problem I had years ago. They are so slow and so small...and on top of that, sometimes the elevator operator leaves his post to help out elsewhere in the lobby. Other guests and I joked how they hotel should pass out a time table for the elevators...the wait can really cause one to be materially delayed. I am not exaggerating.
Lastly, I was appalled by how far the hotel breakfast buffet has slipped over the years. For many years the Carlyle buffet breakfast was truly special. In fact, fifteen years ago you couldn't enter the dining room for breakfast unless dressed really properly. The buffet used to be a feast. The dining room is a gorgeous place. The breakfast has now been reduced to your basic chafing dishes with soggy hot food, some really nice fruit, yoghurts,a few healthy choices a bit of smoked salmon. If you closed your eyes you could be anywhere with chewy baguettes and truly pedestrian croissants. Just awful and much too awful for the Carlyle. . It is entirely self service...nobody will even carry your juice to the table or come around to pour water. It appears only guests ordering a la carte are entitled to any notice. A cold cup of cappuccino was plunked at my side.
If this wasn't the Carlyle I suppose I would expect less but it is the Carlyle and all of us deserve to be greeted by name and we all deserve to be treated as special guests.
No matter what, Bemelemens Bar is heaven. I will always go there for the best cocktails, specialty drinks and excellent food. I'm glad that's in my neighborhood.

Room Tip: The higher up, no courtyard rooms
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Alexandra M
Massimiliano P, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Dear Alexandra M,

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed and thoughtful feedback with us as well as fellow travelers! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations so thoroughly. We do however regret to hear that your experiences with our staff were not more polished and we will absolutely follow up with our team about this. We want all of our guests to walk away having felt their interactions were personalized and of the highest standard. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and improve upon the notes you have so kindly shared with us. Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 28 August 2017

The Carlyle is perfect for me as I am a "Museum Person". The location of the Carlyle is perfect as there are at least five museums that ate an easy walk. I also enjoy the shops and small restaurants that are so close. The service is impeccable at the Carlyle Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Rosewood Hotels & Resorts
Massimiliano P, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Dear Elaine H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us as well as fellow travelers! We are delighted to know that our location was well-suited to your needs. We couldn't agree more - we love our little neighborhood :) We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future. Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 26 August 2017

Was in 1108 with views of the park. Very smooth check in. Very friendly staff throughout the hotel. Breakfast buffet is A+++++. Excellent phone service re wake up calls. Excellent room service.....the eggs Benedict with smoked salmon was very very good but would have been better if warmer. Didn't sleep well the first night due to a loud tv in an adjoining room ( next time I'll call the manager on duty) but the second night was pure bliss. Top tier bath products BUT they need to have a shoe shine sponge!! An ultra top tier men's tennis champion was staying here during my visit and obviously the privacy and security features of this hotel are appealing to any high profile person. I used to live in a high profile Park Avenue building and I almost felt like I was back in my coop. Highly recommend the Carlyle.

Room Tip: View of Central Park if possible.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Andy J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience; your feedback is very valuable to us! We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your accommodations, our breakfast offerings and that you felt well cared for throughout your visit. Our objective is that all our guests feel a sense of home when they stay at The Carlyle, and we are glad to know it was indeed your experience. It was our pleasure to have you and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future. Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed here on a business trip, and it was a quality place to stay. It felt like a boutique hotel, discreet but still a decent size with all the amenities you'd expect, and faultless service. The rooms are a little small but I guess that's to be expected in Manhattan. The location is great in that it's right next to Central Park, and right in the middle of Upper East Side surrounded by all the great little restaurants and bars.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Massimiliano P, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Dear jimmy2580,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your experience and feedback with us as well as fellow travelers! We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed the service you received so thoroughly and that our location was well-suited to your needs. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again, for business or leisure, in the near future. Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

The location is great, right in Central Park, it was my first time and I will stay there again for sure.

This hotel has so much history that even today it feels like you're part of it.

The bar is awesome and drinks are the best.

Friendly staff

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Massimiliano P, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Dear Richard G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit so thoroughly. We are glad that the location was well-suited to your needs and that you had the opportunity to experience the bar! It was our pleasure to have you and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future. Wishing you all the best!