“The best location in NY” 5 of 5 bubbles

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #313 of 464 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brno
“The best location in NY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

+fantastic location
+very trendy
+comfy bed
+iphone speakers for playing music
+nice food in the hotel restaurant

-it's very big hotel and doen't feel very friendly.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank IvinkaBrno
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear IvinkaBrno,

Thank you for your lovely comments. We are delighted you took advantage of our convenient location and enjoyed your accommodations. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,083)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

When we stayed here in February we were able to use upgrade vouchers to get one of the large suites which was well worth it. The room was very large (with a bar, dining room, living room, two bathrooms, and bedroom). The service was great and was overall a wonderful place to spend the weekend. It is worth the upgrade coupons to use at this location.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank alexonboard
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear alexonboard,

We are so delighted you were pleased with the upgrade you received. Thank you for your kind review and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

The Grand Hyatt New York recently completed a complete, and much needed overhaul of its common areas and guest rooms and I must say that I was blown away by how nice the property looks now. Over the past couple of years, I avoided the property, electing to stay at the Hyatt Andaz properties in New York and the new Hyatt Lex. Having now had the chance to revisit the Grand Hyatt, I will likely make this my top choice for hotels in New York City. It sits right next to Grand Central Station and is an easy walk from Times Square.

As a Diamond level Gold Passport Member for many years, this was probably my 25th time at this property and it has never looked better. I would describe the lobby as deluxe modern, with a casual lite fare market and a great restaurant which literally sits over 42nd street and is a great place to watch the world go by while having breakfast or lunch. The food is actually quite good and the service in the restaurant is fast and friendly. The check in process seems much more streamlined now with the lobby redesign. Kudos to Patty (a long-time front desk employee) who is always so friendly and welcoming to guests and the fact that she remembers my name adds a personal touch to a city which always runs in 5th gear. The bedroom that I had was a deluxe king and it was wonderful. The renovations somehow made the standard size NYC hotel room seem a good bit bigger and the bed was very, very comfortable.

The Regency Club lounge at this property may now be one of my favorites and the 2 Regency Club attendants who have been at the property for years, and whose names now escape me, welcome you to this deluxe lounge in the sky, with a big smile and an offer of a drink! I would highly suggest that you spend a few extra dollars for a Regency Club room because they offer continental breakfast, snacks throughout the day, pre-dinner appetizers, and dessert in a knockout facility that now has an outdoor garden overlooking the hustle and bustle of the city!

I can't say enough good things about this property and for those of you had stayed here in the past and felt that it was outdated and beyond its time, you will be astounded at the re-design of this place!

Room Tip: Splurge for a Regency Club room!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank PTelan
Dear PTelan,

We cannot say enough about your detailed and extremely kind review of your most recent stay at Grand Hyatt New York. We are beyond pleased that we are now your top choice of hotels in New York City, it is truly an honor. Since our biggest undertaking yet, our recent $130 million renovation, we love to hear the reactions such as yours, to our complete transformation. From the modern lobby, to our food and beverage options, Market and New York Central, to our comfortable accommodations, we aim to provide authentic hospitality every step of the way and I am glad you thought this. I will pass along your kind note to Patty, I am positive it will put a smile on her face. Our new Grand Club is an extremely exciting addition to the hotel as well. I am so delighted to hear you enjoyed this “getaway”!

We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you again for your 5-star review.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

I'm a Manhattanite, so when choosing a hotel for out-of-town my parents to spend a long weekend, I began searching for a well-located, upscale, modern, affordable, and friendly hotel. The Hyatt is adjacent to Grand Central Station on E.42nd Street at Park Ave. Grand Central has a beautiful marketplace, shopping, and easy acess to trains and subways. And unlike the 24/7 chaos of the Theatre District streets, the Grand Central area stradles Murray Hill and the Upper East Side. And the 42nd St crosstown bus to the Broadway theatres is right outside the hotel's door.

As for the hotel itself, check-in was a breeze, and everyone we encountered, from Reception to Club Room Concierge and Housekeepers we passed in the hallway, was very pleasant and helpful. Appearance-wise, lobby has been nicely renovated, as has the Club Room. My folks stayed on the Club Floor, so I can't speak to the other rooms, but their room was spacious byYC standards (king bed, L-shaped sofa, walk-in closet). The bathroom was small, with a decent shower (no tub). There were no views to speak of, due to the height of surrounding buildings. I imagine there might be better views on uppermost floors, but I chose proximity to the Club Room, which is on 16. Hallway and room decor was a little dated, but passable.

My folks loved the Club's breakfast. Unlike other Hyatts I've stayed at in the past, this Hyatt's Club went a little light on the afternoon and evening Club offerings. However, when I brought this to the attention of the Front Desk, they immediately asked what they could do to makethings right - and they did. For a "big box" chain, Hyatt tries hard to to get the personal touch right.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for one night when I was in NYC for a meeting. I was so looking forward to my stay, I had not stayed at this location yet. The lobby is very nice, it is modern looking and attractive though it seemed a little busy. Registration was prompt. However, as a high ranking member of their Gold Passport Program, I was used to asking and receiving upgrades when a better room was available. In this case, I was told that an upgrade was available but for a surcharge. I stood my ground and was then offered the upgrade. Is that policy--to try and get the surcharge? Nevertheless, the upgrade option was rather disappointing, it was 2 rooms but had no desk or work area nor did have a "comfy chair". Instead it had what looked like a kitchenette table with a cushioned bench seat and extra TV.

So i switched back to my original room. Again it has a modern decor. Room size was pretty good for NYC and bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was also modern. It was a little small compared to the room itself but still functional and fine.

My gripes:
1) Why boast to have flat screen HD TV's when all of the TV channels are in regular analog? The picture is actually worse when you try to use an HD TV without HD channels
2) The set up could have used a little more practical design. The desk area has a single outlet and one of the receptacles was taken up by the lamp. The night table also had one outlet and one of the receptacles was taken up by the Ihome clock radio plug which unfortunately obscured the other receptacle. This was not very conducive to the current times where everyone has electronics and is need of places for charging.
3) Personally, I believe the decor is too modern. While I like contemporary design, the furniture is no longer comfortable.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Dear srk3465,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review as we use it as a way to continually improve our service and product. To address your point about the TV quality, we are aware of the reception and are in the process of upgrading the TV systems in the coming months. Again, we appreciate your detailed feedback and if you would like to address anything further, you can email qualitynycgh@hyatt.com. We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back upon future travels to New York City.

Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator