“Problems at the Crowne”

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
Ranked #199 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 December 2004

What a location...but the service just didn't match it. Website definately over-sold it...the food wasn't great, there was no mini bar as advertised, the bar closed before midnight and they messed up our room...twice! The first room was so noisy, we could hear next door's every word! The next room was to be non-smoking but they messed that up and the last one was fine but then our vacation was over! Over priced, great location and staff are very "New York" i.e. not too friendly!

2  Thank GaryD68
Write a ReviewReviews (9,992)

Reviewed 20 December 2004

Stayed from 14th Dec to 19th Dec. Superb location right in the thick of things in Times Square. Got an upgrade to a king size "corner" room with superb views across broadway and towards 6th Ave, and being on the 34th floor meant it was removed from the hustle and bustle enabling a good nights sleep on quite possibly the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on. The other furniture was a little dated but didn't matter a bit to me as I was in NY to see the city not the inside of the hotel room! The only gripe I had was that on departure my pre-arranged transfer service failed to show and as I had not booked it through the concierge at the hotel he wouldn't let me make a call from the concierge desk (for which I was prepared to pay, but didn't have change for a payphone and my cell phone had ran out of juice) which I thought was a bit mean especially as it meant I only just got to JFK in time for the flight back.

Overall I was happy and would stay again

4  Thank StephenDuckett
Switzerland
Reviewed 17 December 2004

I've been recentely in Crowne Plaza, from December 5 to December 12 2004.
I have to say that after reading some reviews before leaving for NYC I was a bit nervous about the hotel.
Fortunately my worries were wrong. I had a wonderful stay at the hotel: the room was clean and and I have a spectacular view on Times Square (44th floor). The food was delicious and the people who works there were very friendly and helpful.
Really enjoy my stay!

• Stayed: December 2004
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 December 2004

We went with friends to new york for Thanksgiving and stayed at the Crowne Plaza. From the moment we arrived all the staff including doormen to bar staff were excellent, we had great rooms with superb views. The buffet breakfast in the resturant is fantasic and great value, we ate there every moring and never got bored with the wide choice of food available.

The location of the hotels is superb and everything is within easy walking distance, we are already looking to book for next year and would'nt hesitate on booking this hotel again!!

One thing that I would certainly recommend whilst on your visit is Sunday Lunch at the Plaza (Palm Court Resturant) this is not cheap but worth every penny!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 December 2004

December 11th weekend- Stayed the Crowne Plaza - we loved it. Very central to everything. The room great- great view.

We enjoyed the hotel restaurant.

We would stay there again

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member