“Très chic boutique hotel in NYC”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #72 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Every year my husband and I celebrate both our birthdays, our wedding anniversary AND Christmas and New Years, all over a 9 day span. This year we spent New Years Eve with our 24 year old son and his girlfriend at The Sanctuary Hotel. The kids arrived first and text us saying "Hotel is reallllly nice...very chic!!!" We couldn't agree more. The decor, the staff, the breakfast .. all very impressive and the location was superb! The hotel staff was extremely helpful in planning our fabulous 5 day stay. Our room was extremely comfortable (very comfy, cozy bed). The bathroom was ideal equipped including the best-ever hotel blow-dryer (I always pack my own). We chose to brave the Time Square celebration so we missed out on the Sanctuary Hotel party however upon our return we we're offered a complementary glass of champagne. We highly recommend this très chic boutique hotel and we'll definitely go back!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fikistein
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Thank you for providing such wonderful feedback regarding your stay at the Sanctuary Hotel.

It's great to know when guests of ours, have such a great experience. I am happy to hear that you and your family decided to stay with us throughout the special holidays and for your anniversary.

On behalf of the entire staff, we'd like to thank you for your comments and hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 3 January 2012

Well, where to start...I guess I should start by pointing out the door keeper waiting for my girlfriend and I as we walked down the street looking for the hotel; it's like he knew us for a long time! He greeted us cheerfully and quickly brought us to the front desk for an expedited check-in (They let us check-in early, very nice).

I quickly noticed that the hotel was in fact really modern looking. It has a dark, romantic feel to it; very different from anything I have seen before. Thumbs up for interior designing.

The room was very clean and neat; just like previous reviews had mentioned. I could say that the room size is small/compact; but then again, it is NYC. I would not really recommend the Deluxe Queen room for a business traveler, for there is no enough room to work. The shower was really spacious and practical; not a problem for tall guys (I'm 6'5"). Bed comforter and sheets were nice and crisp, really cozy! The view from the seventh floor was not bad at all; I was expecting just a wall in front of me, but in fact, I was able to see many different buildings and get a glimpse of the city lights.

Overall, I had a great experience. The concierge gave us some nice restaurant suggestions, and boy am I glad I took his advice!

A few things to point out:

TV: Remote control was not accessing the menu/pay-per-view. I swapped remotes at the front desk. Still did not work. I'm not a big TV watcher, so I didn't really mind.

WIFI: Did not work 90% of the time using my iPhone. When it did, it was really slow. Again, I didn't really mind because I had 3G and did not have to do any work while in the hotel.
Breakfast: The hotel currently does not have a kitchen, so there are limitations to your meal (No eggs, bacon, pancakes and that stuff). Other than that, fresh fruits, awesome OJ, tasty bread, and some other goodies.

Mini Bar: Awesome selection (wine, beer, FIJI water, and more). But very expensive, like most mini bars.

I Rated a 4 for Condition/Maintenance due to the WIFI and TV.

A+ Service, great location, friendly staff, hip atmosphere, and the coolest bartender (Tom).

Room Tip: Higher Floors: Nice View
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My wife and I were stabled at the sanctuary over christmas holiday. The staff was very friendly and tended to our every need. Very good service, however there should be a bottle opener fixed to the wall or somewhere near the minibar. Also, our room was located near the elevator which had squeaking doors that interrupted our sleep. Overall it was good and we intend on staying again soon. Location was great also!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Sanctuary Hotel. You picked a perfect time to join us for the holidays.

I want to let you know that we have addressed your concerns and the issues with the elevator was immediately resolved.

Should your travels bring you back to New York City, please contact me directly. I would be more than happy to assist you with your booking.

Warm Wishes,

Reviewed 1 January 2012

Very good experience at Sanctuary, the staf very friendly and helpful,room clean and beautiful but a little bit tiny. Near Time Square, Radio City Music Hall, Rock Feller Center. Maybe the only think that should be add is a restaurant inside the hotel. For the rest everything was perfect.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for writing a review of us on Tripadvisor.com

We appreciate when guests of our take the time to provide us with feedback. I hope that your next experience with us will be even better.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 30 December 2011

We spend nine nights in the sancturay hotel around christmas.
The hotel is well located and we could go almost everywhere by feet.
Although it was located near Broadway (theater district) and times square, the room was very quite. A little small and yet very comfy.
A particular care was brought to the design of the room and entry of the hotel, and as a design teacher I appreciated it, but the room for the breakfast looked poor and unfinished with the plastic furnitures.
The staff were very nice and helpful.
I just regret the loss of a pair of sleeping socks ... I guess it was taken to the laundry with the sheets.