Sanctuary Hotel New York
US$179
InterContinental
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$204/night.

Conrad New York(New York City)
US$236
Conrad.com
Savings alert! 41% below average rates

The price you found is 41% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$401/night.

Grand Hyatt New York(New York City)
US$196
US$179
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Manhattan - Financial District(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$125
US$113
HolidayInn.com
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$145/night.

Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$145
  • Fitness centre
US$199
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$223/night.

NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$126
US$122
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$162/night.

The New Yorker a Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$152
  • Room Service
Pod 51 Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$99
  • Bar/Lounge
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$249
US$229
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
4,251 results
All reviewsrooftop barhaven rooftoptimes squarenew yorkcontinental breakfastrooms are smallbagelsdoor staffcupcakesour honeymoonbig applefantastic locationbrick wallconcierge servicerockefeller centercentral parkaround the corner
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The Sanctuary is right off of Times Square. The location affords one visiting New York the ability to get to and from anywhere in Manhatten very easily. Beware however that everything in the vicinity is touristy and grossly overpriced.

The Sanctuary is a small and intimate hotel. The decirating has been done in such a way as to make the hotel look and feel very hip. Smart design tricks have been used to make the place asthetically appealing.

Our room which contained two double beds was adequate but in no way shape or form luxurious. The bathroom was tiny but well designed except for the lack of a shower door. Just note that there is no privacy - none. If your coming on a romantic trip this factor could prove challenging.

Coming to New York one must understand that physical space is sold and rented at premium. Our room was perhaps a total of 200 square feet. The room was quiet (we heard no road or crowd noise) but had absolutely no view whatsoever. The window faced a wall that was approximately 4 feet away. Therefore there was very little daylight. The lobby and public spaces are lit by artificial light which sets a very nice mood BUT, there is absolutely no day light in any of the public spaces. If one is looking for a nice place to sit and enjoy the view, any view, or to soak up some natural light this is totally impossible in this hotel - it does not exist here.

The service at The Sanctuary is EXCELLENT. One night I asked the concierge to assist me with discount theater tickets and he walked to the TKTS booth a block away and called me to say which shows we could get tickets for and the prices. Amazing! The staff was top notch from the front end to the back. A1. In 53 years on the planet I have not received better service in a hotel. You have to go to a high end - very expensive - resorts to find service as good.

Don't miss Amy's Bakery just a few blocks away off ninth for out of this world baked goods - cake - for a reasonable price relative to NY.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank David S
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My wife and I went to NYC on part business and pleasure and stayed at Sanctuary 3/22 - 3/24 2012. Sanctuary is a relatively new hotel (about 1 year old) and is beautifully decorated and designed (very funky and modern) and very clean. Located in Times Square on W47th between 6th and 7th, you are literally steps from Times Square. If you like boutique hotels, you will love this hotel. Like most boutique hotels it is small and the rooms are small, but UNLIKE many boutique hotels they make very good and practical use of the space so it doesn't feel small at all. The staff is incredibly nice and genuinely happy to see you every time you walk by them...almost every person we encountered that worked there started talking to us and asking about our stay and our time in NYC. The entire hotel atmosphere has a lounge feel with great music playing at all times...it literally makes you feel like it is a Sanctuary in the middle of NYC. The only thing that takes a little getting used to is the lighting. Because of the lounge feel, the common areas (only) are a bit dark because there is mostly accent lighting rather than general lighting. So it feels like evening at all times...it is an interesting experience when you walk out the front door and realize it is daylight. It took a little getting used to and even with our short stay, we got used to it very quickly. My wife and I actually liked it because it does make it feel like a sanctuary and an escape, even while being in the middle of NYC, so we found it calming. I would like to emphasize that only the common areas are a bit dark, the rooms themslves are NOT dark at all and are very bright and have great lighting. Lastly, I would like to give a shout out to the bartender, Rudy. Rudy was one of the first staff that we met (obviously because he works at the bar :). Rudy was very sociable and customer-service oriented. He has a great, fun attitude and is one of those bartenders that you can have long conversations with. I asked if he could make a pear martini and he said they didn't have the exact ingredients but immediately said "don't worry I will make you something". He used a combination of different ingredients (not sure what), and I loved it because it was unique. After that first night, he always remembered my name and would call out my name and say hello everytime I passed by. He encouraged us to come back for another drink. When he saw me and my wife approaching the bar area the next night, Rudy was already half way into making my martini before I even got there or said anything to him. This is the kind of service that you get from all the staff. They make you feel special. So I highly recommend this hotel and when you go to the bar, ask for Rudy and tell him Jason sent you.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason R
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on tripadvisor.com.

Many would agree that our rooms are well appointed and we make every effort to maximize use of space in our design. I would also like to suggest that you try our deluxe rooms the next time that you stay with us. I trust that with the additional space and upgraded amenities, you will find more comfort for you stay.

We make every effort to try and create a Sanctuary experience for all our guests. I am glad that we were able to achieve this with your visit. We are also happy to hear that you and your wife thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. Our goal is to ensure that all experiences at the Sanctuary, are memorable, unique and genuine.

Rudy will be so ecstatic to read about your great comments and knowing that he was able to connect with you and make you feel at home brings a smile to all our faces.

We hope to see you and your wife back with us soon, especially for our rooftop lounge opening very soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

Stayed at The Sanctuary and was so impressed, we got home and booked it for another stay. Great location for a weekend theater getaway. Hotel within walking distance of all theaters. Took the train into Penn Station and hitched a subway up to hotel area. Very convenient as there is a subway stop within one block of hotel. Staff was wonderful and even received a free upgrade. Very clean and calming atmosphere. We would highly recommend anyone going to NYC to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DAE364
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Knowing that you booked a return stay with us immediately after you returned home, is that biggest compliment that we could receive.

We can't wait to have you back again with us. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

For a short stay this hotel is an excellent choice, really close to the heart of Times Square. Liked their staff, their service and friendly environment. Excellent bedding, clean and comfortable room, needed for travelers like me that do a lot of walking and need a pleasant rest in your hotel.

Only suggestion, but understand is kind of a unique design style, is have either the lobby or other places with more natural light.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank rcherre

Thank you for your feedback.

We are glad that you enjoyed the comfort of our bed and linens. Thank you for the suggestions in regards to the lighting. Our design is constantly evolving, so suggestions are always appreciated.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

Just stayed one night, but wish I had more time... will definitely stay with Sanctuary again. Great customer service at check in, and the concierge had really good advice for getting last minute broadway tickets for my one night there. My room was small, but I expected that, and it was so well deisgned and with such high quality finish that it really didn't matter. Great bed, great shower, nice linens and shampoo etc. All added up to an experience that surpassed my expectations. Wonderful location for exploring the city, and that was important to me because I had so little time there.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Kathryn M

I am glad that our S.T.A.R. service team was able to assist you with last minute bookings with Broadway tickets.

Knowing that we were able to surpass your expectations, brings smiles to all our faces. We hope that you will have more time during your next stay with us, so that you can experience even more of what the Sanctuary Hotel has to offer.