“Affinity for Affinia”

Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #141 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I swear by the Affinia group for clean, reasonably priced and well-located rooms in NYC. I've stayed at the Affinia 50, the Eastgate Tower and now the Shelburne. The location is great, a few blocks from Grand Central Station and subway access. It is a relatively quiet neighborhood with lots of cheap places to eat on Lexington and around the corner on Second. The room was clean and comfortable, and staffers were pleasant. We arrived at around 10 am and were able to check in immediately, which was nice. I had just two complaints. There was no door on the shower and it was hard to avoid splashing water on the bathroom floor. Also the walls were very thin. I was so exhausted from a day of walking that I slept like a rock, but the noise bothered my boyfriend a bit. Overall, very impressed.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Penzgirl
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear Penzgirl,
Thank you for your recent stay and providing valuable feedback .Thank you for your comments on our superb location, clean, comfortable rooms and pleasant staff.
Your comments are appreciated and assist us in improving our product and services.
We enjoyed having you as our guest and hope to see you again very soon.
Sincerely
George Drepaul CHA

Write a ReviewReviews (4,966)

Reviewed 24 March 2012

We could not believe the quality of this hotel after reading all the glowing reviews. The furnishings were chipped and low quality, the room dingy, and there was significant mold in the shower. We asked for more towels and received, instead, a large bag of shampoo etc., so had to make another call. And the worst part? The hotel restaurant displayed a "B" health rating. We did not see another restaurant in all of New York that weekend, including Chinatown, that got a B. It was inconvenient to have to go elsewhere to eat breakfast. On the plus side, front desk service was excellent, and the location is indeed superb.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Momtravels2
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear Momtravels2,
Thank you for your recent stay and your valuable feedback. I am sorry your stay was less than perfect and your feedback will assist us to address the issues and service inconsistencies. It will be very helpful to me if you can identify your room number and I will personally inspect and follow up. We are already looking out for these deficiencies in our daily preventative maintenance program.
I am happy to report Rare Restaurant now have an A rating.
Thank you for the comments on excellent service and superb location.
Again, my apologies and hope to hear from you soon.
George Drepaul CHA

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Really lovely Hotel, we were checked in by Anndy and he was very helpful and cheerful, he made the whole process very quick and easy. We stayed for St Patricks weekend and the city was very busy, however we were made to feel very welcome and the staff were always on hand. Our room was spotless we stayed in 1113 and even had a view of the Empire State Building. I've stayed in many different hotels in NYC and this is easily one the largest rooms I've stayed in - surprisingly big for New York.
Located between Grand Central and 33rd st subway stations and a short walk to 5th Ave and Times sq, its is a good location just out of the way of the hustle and bustle. I would definately recommend this hotel to my friends and family.
The only criticism I have is that we found it hard to control the temperature in the room at night and it was very warm. I wouldnt leave this put me off though as everything else was perfect. We ordered a taxi from the Bellman to bring us to the Airport at 6am and it even turned up 5mins early. lovely stay here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank cocopopsb84
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Can't get much better for the price you pay. The location is perfect, the staff are lovely and the rooms are full of character, clean and a reasonable size.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LeeWellington
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Overall good experience. Room size was great for the price. My only issue was the room smelled like someone had been smoking in it. I didn't complain because I wasn't in the room long enough for it to bother me. The location is wonderful, just a short walk to Grand Central and other subway stops. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo