“An Amazing Experience - Fantastic Upgrade!”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #261 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We stayed at The Waldorf in August as part of a trip to The US and Canada before returning to the UK on the QM2. We stayed for four nights. Our party consisted of my husband and I and our 2 boys aged 12 and 9. On checking in we waited a few minutes and another desk was opened and we were served by the Night Manager "Yon". He went to check us in and commented that he thought the room that we had booked would not be comfortable for as my husband is 6ft 10" tall and we had booked a double-double. We assured him that we were used to it but he offered us a suite albeit on the smoking floor. We gratefully accepted and excited went up to "17H". The suite of rooms was absolutely beautiful. We had a marble lobby area with butler area, a massive sitting room with windows over Park Avenue and a view of the Empire State Building from 49th Street window. There was a massive master bedroom with huge flat screen TV, DVD player and Bose radio. There was a large dressing room and a huge marble bathroom with separate toilet and shower and bath with 2 vanity areas. The rooms were spotlessly clean and richly furnished. There was bottled water and bowls of fruit that arrived at intervals. The suite smelt beautiful - not of smoke that you might have expected. The hotel delivered 2 rollaway beds for the boys and they set up camp in the sitting room. We are delighted to have a few nights in our own room after many days travelling altogether!
The Concierge were very helpful in recommeding restaurants that the children would also like and all staff that we encountered were friendly and efficient.
The hotel itself was like walking back in time. The displays and photos all around I found very interesting and we looked around the hotel and the various function rooms and you can begin to imagine what life for the guilded few was like 80 odd years ago. The hotel trades on it's past and why not - I really enjoyed it - and the people watching! It tied in nicely with the final part of our holiday - travelling home on the last ocean liner. For that our cabin was smaller than the walk in wardrobe in the Waldorf! We had a fantastic time in New York and the Waldorf is ideally placed for a trip to NYC and to to stay in the style we were given made it all the more special - Thank you so much. I very much doubt we would ever get an opportunity like that again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Claire H
Write a ReviewReviews (11,552)

Reviewed 24 September 2011

Stayed from 8/9 until 12/9. Yes its old and dusty. Rooms have furniture from a bygone age..but what the hell..we're in New York and won't be spending time in them. All was good until departure morning. The hotel had a conference on with a huge amount of delegates. I had been for breakfast and joined a line for the lifts. After a twenty minute wait I walked into the lift..to feel a hand grab me pull me back..I was told I couldn't get in the lift as it was a private one...this was the same lift that took me and family to our room for the past three days..I tried again to enter the lift and was thrown violently into a line of delegates. To try and explain the shock I felt is hard..I went to the concierge desk to ask for help and was fobbed off. I'm afraid it took a lot of shouting to get action..which meant being taken in the goods lift to my room. I called the hotel manager to complain, it took an hour and a half for a return call, his reply to my complaint was to offer an upgrade to the Waldorf Towers next time I returned. I was really angry and humiliated by his response. I paid a huge amount of money to stay at this hotel and I didn't get what was promised on paper. Never, never again. This hotel couldn't care less about their guests. Its a glorified function suite that just wants conferences.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Johnduncanopera
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Beautiful room, well decorated, in the tower. I wish i had the time to take the guided tour. This is a historic building and if the wall could talk the stories they could tell. The furnishings may look dated to someone expecting contemporary chic. My room had a large flat screen tv set on an elegant 1920's style sideboard. Beautiful marble floors at the entrance to the suite. The gold fixtures in the bathroom do look dated to modern eyes but they also look very good in the period furnishings of the suite. Loved staying there and would return anytime. Service was excellent; very accommodating and very helpful.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank LewM
Reviewed 22 September 2011

The central lobby is beautiful art-deco style. But the room was a bit disappointing: small, with 2 queensize beds close together. And it needed painting and redecorating very much. But also the curtains were very dirty. A bit of dry cleaning is not too expensive for the Waldorf, is it? Not chic: use of wifi will cost you 20 dollar a day!
But the staff was very friendly and helpful. We felt very welcome.

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside are quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank julaHolland
Reviewed 22 September 2011

From the moment we arrived, we were disappointed in the decor and service. We were driven in a back door where our luggage was placed with bundles of other luggage that looked like they had been tossed there. At the check in counter, there was a line of about 20 people and took around 40 minutes to be served. We had arrived an hour early and mistakenly thought we may have our room ready. We were told to come back at the correct time and again, lined up for over half hour to be given our key.

The room was old and furniture scratched. The power point situation was a workplace health and safety nightmare. One power point with a double adaptor with 2 separate powerboards attached containing the TV, clock radio, and internet connections etc etc. Our internet connection never worked and we were told that is usual in New York. You would think that a Hotel like the Waldorf would have state of the art technology in the rooms.

Our room was on the 6th floor and overlooked the street. It was very noisy and you could hear the street cleaners and people all night.

On the last night, my husband cut his foot badly on glass that was in the carpet. We had not broken anything so shows that the vacuuming isn't up to scratch and how long had the glass been there. We were offered a free night to be used in the next 12 months for this misfortune but advised them that it's not like we are in New York every year!!!!

The staff are not as friendly and welcoming as many other USA hotels we stayed in during out holiday. As it was my husband's 50th birthday celebration holiday, I had specifically booked the 3 nights at this hotel as a present and surprise and to fulfil my "bucket list" wish.

The only redeeming feature of the hotel was the location - easy walking distance to the city centre, Rockafeller Square and bus lines.

I was so disappointed in the Hotel seeing it was a gift/surprise. Would never stay in the Waldorf again and do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Just don't stay there.
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple