“Elegant and Excellent”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #259 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 16 February 2015

The hotel is what you expect from this landmark hotel. The room I had was nicely appointed. Nice size. Great bed and bedding. Good lighting. Adequate number of outlets at the desk area and easy to connect Internet. Bathroom was sized for 1 individual. Outlets where not located near the sink so my cords were across the toilet. That was weird! Outstanding shower/water pressure. Nice bathroom amenities--typical--soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion.

Staff were overly customer friendly and accommodating--including maids, security personnel, etc.

Room Tip: I suspect that the higher up the room is, the less street noise. My room didn't have much stree...
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank TravelPansy
Bridget M, Assistant Director of Front Office Operations at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2015

Dear TravelPansy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your wonderful 5-star review!

Your kind words describe the experience every guest can expect when they check-in to the Waldorf- spacious, nicely appointed room accommodations and True Waldorf Service at every stage.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope you will return in the future for another unforgettable NYC trip.

Yours in service,

Reviewed 16 February 2015 via mobile

If I could give it less than one star I would. This hotel did not meet my expectations, nor did it even show a glimmer of what all the fuss seems to be about. We stayed here for Valentines day weekend and it just happened to be NBA all-star weekend (things the boyfriend did some Voodoo on me to make me pick NYC for our romantic get away) how convenient for him! He meet some NBA legends through our stay in New York. Can you say boyfriend basketball groupie?

Anyway, back to my underwhelming experience at the Waldorf Astoria. First let's start with checkin, painless but kind of a long line for it to be such a big weekend in the city, would think they would have more staff on hand, per the weekend festivities and love and all. We check in, the lady checking us in was nice enough (little tude), she said she would upgrade us to a king room since they had some available. Ok she is less on my list. We thought cool, should have prob done that anyway since I am a horrible sleeper and tend to karate chop the bf in my sleep. I'm super excited at this point, the lobby is beautiful, the atmosphere just oozes elegance and so do most of the guest, including us if course hehe. It's just a regal feel when you are in the lobby, not old just straight up classy. So, I totally didn't have time to get the nails done, so I went over to the concierge to ask for the spa info, nice person #1. Now up to this glorious room I just know we have, I mean look at the freaking lobby! Board the luxurious elevators, very classy and old glamour feel. Get to the 9th floor, perfect cause I am not into being too high up. "Hey babe, snap me going into the room". Here we go! "What the hell! This is what we are paying for?" Wait wait this has to be a trick, I am thinking. There must be some more to this room **walking to bathroom**. Our shower at home is nicer than this! First off it took a solid day for the room to heat up, the outlets were old and some not usable, the furniture was yes old I understand it's a historic hotel but ours just looked OLD. I mean I get it folks it's the Waldorf Astoria, history. Staying were celebrities, dignitaries, kings and athletes have stayed. Well I guess if you are a no name person and book the deluxe room ($600+) you don't count as much, because I doubt some of those people who are pictured in the artwork of the hallways would go for that. The bed was not king like she held us up in line promising and they tried to take over $800 in incidentals and room charges off one of my cards right there at check in, ummm what happen to when you check out? I call to the front desk, rude person #1 (gabby) gives me tude when I inquired why this happened and stank upper lip trying to let me know I didn't have enough to cover it on my card so they only took $400. "Well I see an $800+ charge so you can imagine my shock." Heck no I don't keep that much on a travel card (Google-get one I love it). I also told her the bed was not king like the person we checked in with told us we now had. Gabby proceeded to tell me that I was booked for a queen, "yes I understand but the young lady said we were upgraded" Gabby finished with "well you were only booked for a queen and we don't have anymore queens" ok interesting. Moving on, I'm in my underwhelming room, upset to be honest. The bf reminding me that we will still have a nice weekend and to let it go. He is sweet and patient like that. My other issues with the service was that I would have to call down two times or let it ring a million times to get an answer on the front desk, annoying. Fast forward to check out cause I have nothing else to say about the hotel that does not involve the lobby it the amazing maid service and the sweet men that bought up bandages and extra towels. Great staff there! Promote the maids and bell boys and security Waldorf Astoria. So, checkout was painless but I noticed a mini bar charge, now I know we didn't touch the mini bar because the bf specifically said heck no, you want a fancy drink I will take you out for one, you want M&M's I will take you to the store in Times Square, but make that mini bar disappear in your mind. Lol that's cool I totally understand. Plus I rather he use that mini bar money on a new purse or something for me hehe. Priorities people! Anyway, checkout- painless but when I went to inquire about the small, but needless mini bar charge rude person #2, didn't catch the name but he mysteriously disappeared after I went back to get it because I felt not ok with his comments and the tone "this is New York" when I asked why the price of that room was not comparable to what we got. The tone was just ughhhh. I have stayed at many of hotel rooms in NYC and some really nice boutique ones actually. All nice! Never a bad experience. Again, the bf had to save that mans day cause he quickly escorted me to the lobby so we could head to Times Square. Anyway, I'm going to end my review with a positive note. Ms Sara, lady at checkout, was so sweet!

Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Narissa H
Bridget M, Assistant Director of Front Office Operations at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2015

Dear Narissa,

It is disappointing to read your review and find that we let you and us down during your recent experience here. Our goal would be to break the cycle of trying various hotels and we did not do that. New York is a special destination and our goal is to be the best part of the trip.

I was happy you were so specific in your comments- that really helps me as I work internally to ensure issues like these do not recur. We all know that basic elements are critical, and we know how interactions with our team members can shape your experience here. To ensure that our guest experience remains at the level we expect, we have undertaken additional training exercises to improve our service delivery in this important area.

Again, thank you for your feedback, it will be used as a tool to improve our hotel for future guests.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 16 February 2015

ok so pros and cons to this institution. Its a HUGE huge hotel - almost too big. When we arrived there was no one at the door to help with luggage ( not good) but we were upgraded immediately at check in, the hotel is dated for sure but has old world charm. The beds - the beds - I have never slept in a bed like at the Waldorf. They are simply the best beds in the world. If you don't mind old world charm with an amazing bed you'll love it here - the customer service could use a little kick in the pants depending on who you speak to. All in all I do love staying here tho.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank kaok39
Bridget M, Assistant Director of Front Office Operations at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2015

Dear kaok39,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Waldorf Astoria! We frequently hear from our guests that their nights' sleep in our beds and some of the most (if not THE most) enjoyable nights of sleep ever, and it is wonderful to learn that this was your experience. It is also wonderful to learn that you enjoyed your upgrade upon arrival. We wish we could do this more often!

We should have had a doorman in place to help you with your bags; it sounds as if you came in through the Park Avenue entrance and with heavy bags our goal is the motor court. Our responsibility is to direct the driver properly in this case. I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience there.

We appreciate you taking the time to write the review and recognize the mild comment on service- need to focus on that at all times! We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Waldorf in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 15 February 2015

I stayed here for 5 nights on a business trip, so convenience for my office was the main driver for booking the hotel. The lobby is an experience in its own right, with an amazing ceiling and plenty of historic knick-knacks to keep a visitor entertained. However, I had to wait to check-in and check-out, and the queues at some times were quite long. My room was distinctly average - clean and comfortable but very tired, in need of freshening up. Concierge service was first-class - friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. An ok location for a business trip, but not a romance spot.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled on business

Dear looptail,

Thank you for your review. It was disappointing for our team to read that, in your words, your experience here was not as expected. While I am pleased to read that you were impressed by our service, location, lobby, and our historical element, it is clear that we were unable to leave you with an overall feeling of luxury.

We understand that no one likes to wait to check in or out, and while we are proud to have so many guests visit our reception to check in every day, I apologize that you were inconvenienced by a line. The process at the front desk is designed to be relatively quick, with the provision of payment method, assignment of the room and little else normally necessary. I don't know what would have created such a lag.

I would like to share that we are currently planning for a restoration of our property so that every detail will match the highest standard of luxury. We hope for the opportunity to share the results of this work firsthand with you in the future.

My best,

Reviewed 14 February 2015

Really nice place. Beautiful lobby. Lunch is pricey (about $30 for a salad or a burger) but very tasty. Bull n Bear is a great bar, a NYC landmark. Beautiful place in the heard of NYC. I'll be back...

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
1  Thank Todd H

Dear Todd,

Thank you for your kind review! It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with us to the fullest, and that you were able to visit our Peacock Alley & Bull & Bear Prime Steakhouse outlets.

Our goal is to provide the best possible services and amenities so that our guests won't want to leave. I hope that when you did check out, you left with a yearning to return. It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back to the Waldorf!

My best,