“no Irish atmosphere and restaurant disappointing”

Fitzpatrick Grand Central
Ranked #46 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Just back from spending a few days in NYC celebrating my wedding ann'vsy and b'day. Hotel came to me recommended from my Irish family whom had read about this hotel on the internet. Usually stay at the Roosevelt ( round the corner ) but on this occasion we went with the recommendation. On arrival , it was smaller than expected , the taxi driver from Newark didnt know where it was and even nearly drove past it when he finally found East 44th. It lacked Irish atmosphere and restaurant was simply a darkly lit pub bar which after a long day on your feet and with a 3 year old in tow, was not really how we wanted to spend the evening . But other than that the rooms were clean especially the bathroom and location good for getting around Manhattan.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 December 2010

My husband and I took a short trip to NYC in February 2010. We decided to stay at the Fitzpatrick because of our budget and the hotel's location. I typically stay in Times Square, but I enjoyed staying near Grand Central even more. We took the subway from Grand Central everywhere. The Fitzpatrick is an elegant older hotel and we really enjoyed our stay there. It reminds me of old New York, and not old in a bad way. I found it quite charming. The rooms though not huge were really tastefully decorated and the bathroom was a good size. Very clean. The concierge was helpful as well. There is a small onsite restaurant in there as well as restaurants and a drug store close by. Grand Central was only a block or two away. Make sure and stop by Crumbs Bake Shop between GCS and the hotel for some fabulous cupcakes!

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2010

I stayed at the Fitzpatrick recently for two nights because I needed a clean quiet room close to Grand Central Terminal after some minor surgery. It was a risk to stay at a hotel with a famous pub attached but location was very important. Well, to my surprise EVERYTHING was just about perfect! The staff couldn't have been nicer! I have never experienced such professionalism and politeness from three shifts over two days in NYC. Service was consistently provided at the highest level. I asked for a quieter room upon check-in and to my delight, that's exactly what I received. The room was small but very clean and newly reno!vated. (note there was no safe in the room and I did have to ask for a refrigerator to be delivered, which they promptly and politely did. - The fridge was slightly dirty though - specifically the gasket was mildewy.) I am expected to be in the city with several friends and family in late January and hope to be able to stay here again. (They are planning there lobby renovations in January but the staff was so great, I don't think that would be an issue. I highly recommend the Fitzpatrick Grand Central whether on business, pleasure...or unexpected surgery :) It was so clean

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 December 2010

Found this hotel by accident - one block away from Grand Central Terminal. Location is great, room was great and the service was outstanding by every staff member I encountered. Rates are reasonable for New York and this hotel is a great value.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2010

stayed one night with wife, travel to NYC several times per year, stay at various hotels. this hotel was fine, great location, front desk staff were all very helpful and polite. we had a newly renovated room which was suprisgly big for NYC ( although not big) location is good for midtown tourist things this time of year. irish bar was also good, had appetizers and drinks. has an out door bar area as well which was nice

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple