“EXCELLENT barbecue!”

Marshall's Bodacious BBQ
Ranked #96 of 447 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 23 February 2016

You can't miss this place--just look for the 20 foot tall chicken on the sign! It's always a great sign when a barbecue joint has a smoker going outside. We were SO impressed with everything about our lunch here. We didn't know what Tri-Tip was, so the server let us taste it (yum!). She assured us that the 2-meat combo plate (we got ribs and the delicious tri-tip) was big enough to share--and it was. The place was cute inside for a strip mall, very rustic, and someone did come around to clean the tables. The side salad was crisp and the ranch dressing was house-made (I asked) and the best I've had in years. The ribs were fabulous--juicy without being fatty, lots of smoky flavor, and the house-made barbecue sauce was on the tomatoey-spicy side, not sticky and cloyingly sweet as most are. It was the perfect complement to the meat. When I asked another server what wood was used to smoke them, he said the owner used either lemon or avocado wood, which he picked up from a ranch. (I was impressed with his knowledge). The sweet potato casserole was terrific, too. I wasn't thrilled with the beans, but my husband liked them. All in all, a great meal for two of us for a combined $25 including my husband's beer. AND, we accidentally left a backpack at our table. There wasn't anything valuable in it, but the customer who found it and turned it in and the counter server who kept it for us didn't know that. I would go back in a flash if I was in the neighborhood again. A real gem.

Reviewed 12 December 2015 via mobile

I've only been once for lunch but it was pretty good. The link sandwich tasted good and was big enough. The potato salad was just okay. I will be back.

Reviewed 6 November 2015 via mobile

I've heard a lot about this place and tried to go a few times but it's always been closed. Finally made it and I'd say it was worth it. The Tri tip sandwich was very good but not as big as I'd have liked. The Mac and cheese was some of the best I've ever had. They smoke the meat right in the parking lot so you know the stuff is fresh. Was good and I'd definitely go again.

Reviewed 18 June 2015

Stopped in for a business lunch. I had been here once a couple of years ago and was not to impressed but it wasn't my choice on where to have lunch. The place just seems a bit stale inside as if they are doing just enough and you should be grateful for that. Prices are a little high and most of the tables were sticky when we came in to look for a spot to sit down. I did not see anyone come wipe down any tables while I was there except for people coming into sitdown. Tried a Tri tip combo with mac and cheese side. The Tri tip was nice the garlic bread cooked on the grill had zero garlic taste. They offer a choice of two sauces and the one I choose left a weird taste in my mouth afterwards. Also The service was quite slow. Only 1 person ahead of us and it took us 30 minutes to get our meal (for two sandwiches and two sides that is ridiculously long time). I hate to leave reviews like this but when all goes this way Im not given much of a choice

Reviewed 10 March 2015

I love great BBQ and Marshall's was a pleasant surprise. I got the beef ribs, tri tip and sausage, along with BBQ beans and sweet potatoes. All of it was really good, especially the mild sausage and sweet potatoes; the tri tip was a little tough. Nice little restaurant, but it's a little off the beaten path.