“Best BBQ for miles ”

Marshall's Bodacious BBQ
Ranked #94 of 446 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

A friend recommended Marshall's and we were pleasantly surprised. This hidden treasure is a must go to. Authentic, delicious, large portions, and friendly help. I'll be eating my dinner for 3 nights.

Reviewed 5 May 2016

The 101 was backed to a stop so we dove down onto the frontage road looking for gas but was waylaid by this BBQ place. Turned out to be some of the best BBQ we have had. We both had the pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw and beans. The pulled pork was so tasty that I didn't consider adding additional sauce. Coleslaw, not a favorite to me, was good. Beans could of had some more character.
No we didn't get gas from Marshall's, we found a gas station down the road. And the great lunch gave enough time for the backup traffic to clear.

Reviewed 23 February 2016

You can't miss this place--just look for the 20 foot tall chicken on the sign! It's always a great sign when a barbecue joint has a smoker going outside. We were SO impressed with everything about our lunch here. We didn't know what Tri-Tip was, so the server let us taste it (yum!). She assured us that the 2-meat combo plate (we got ribs and the delicious tri-tip) was big enough to share--and it was. The place was cute inside for a strip mall, very rustic, and someone did come around to clean the tables. The side salad was crisp and the ranch dressing was house-made (I asked) and the best I've had in years. The ribs were fabulous--juicy without being fatty, lots of smoky flavor, and the house-made barbecue sauce was on the tomatoey-spicy side, not sticky and cloyingly sweet as most are. It was the perfect complement to the meat. When I asked another server what wood was used to smoke them, he said the owner used either lemon or avocado wood, which he picked up from a ranch. (I was impressed with his knowledge). The sweet potato casserole was terrific, too. I wasn't thrilled with the beans, but my husband liked them. All in all, a great meal for two of us for a combined $25 including my husband's beer. AND, we accidentally left a backpack at our table. There wasn't anything valuable in it, but the customer who found it and turned it in and the counter server who kept it for us didn't know that. I would go back in a flash if I was in the neighborhood again. A real gem.

Reviewed 12 December 2015 via mobile

I've only been once for lunch but it was pretty good. The link sandwich tasted good and was big enough. The potato salad was just okay. I will be back.

Reviewed 6 November 2015 via mobile

I've heard a lot about this place and tried to go a few times but it's always been closed. Finally made it and I'd say it was worth it. The Tri tip sandwich was very good but not as big as I'd have liked. The Mac and cheese was some of the best I've ever had. They smoke the meat right in the parking lot so you know the stuff is fresh. Was good and I'd definitely go again.