“What a great local place to enjoy!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Marshall's Bodacious BBQ
Ranked #99 of 446 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 12 August 2016

Ever pass the giant rooster on top of a building on the top of a small shopping center as you head north on the 101, just before Victoria? This is the joint and is it terrific. A friend strongly recommended it and we weren't disappointed at all. The front of the building has their BBQ located and usually one of the staff is preparing some delicious meats. The smell alone tells you how delicious the meal will be. You stand in line inside and place your order from the menu placed on the wall, plus specials are noted on a blackboard nearby. The dining room is right out of an old roadhouse from 50+ years ago. You can help yourself to the two special tangy BBQ sauces if you need them, as well as pour your own from a soda fountain if that's what you paid for. Your name is called and you pick up you meal at a small window where the hot food was just prepared in their kitchen. I ordered the pork tri-tip sandwich which was teaming with freshly cut meats that overwhelmed the toasted bun that it was placed on. It was delicious and filled me up for the rest of the afternoon. I selected coleslaw as my side, and it too was very fresh and good. I needed extra paper napkins to avoid making a mess of myself. There were several local customers who were also enjoying their lunch at the same time. This place is great and I've returned a couple of times since. Go and really enjoy!

Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

A friend recommended Marshall's and we were pleasantly surprised. This hidden treasure is a must go to. Authentic, delicious, large portions, and friendly help. I'll be eating my dinner for 3 nights.

Reviewed 5 May 2016

The 101 was backed to a stop so we dove down onto the frontage road looking for gas but was waylaid by this BBQ place. Turned out to be some of the best BBQ we have had. We both had the pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw and beans. The pulled pork was so tasty that I didn't consider adding additional sauce. Coleslaw, not a favorite to me, was good. Beans could of had some more character.
No we didn't get gas from Marshall's, we found a gas station down the road. And the great lunch gave enough time for the backup traffic to clear.

Reviewed 23 February 2016

You can't miss this place--just look for the 20 foot tall chicken on the sign! It's always a great sign when a barbecue joint has a smoker going outside. We were SO impressed with everything about our lunch here. We didn't know what Tri-Tip was, so the server let us taste it (yum!). She assured us that the 2-meat combo plate (we got ribs and the delicious tri-tip) was big enough to share--and it was. The place was cute inside for a strip mall, very rustic, and someone did come around to clean the tables. The side salad was crisp and the ranch dressing was house-made (I asked) and the best I've had in years. The ribs were fabulous--juicy without being fatty, lots of smoky flavor, and the house-made barbecue sauce was on the tomatoey-spicy side, not sticky and cloyingly sweet as most are. It was the perfect complement to the meat. When I asked another server what wood was used to smoke them, he said the owner used either lemon or avocado wood, which he picked up from a ranch. (I was impressed with his knowledge). The sweet potato casserole was terrific, too. I wasn't thrilled with the beans, but my husband liked them. All in all, a great meal for two of us for a combined $25 including my husband's beer. AND, we accidentally left a backpack at our table. There wasn't anything valuable in it, but the customer who found it and turned it in and the counter server who kept it for us didn't know that. I would go back in a flash if I was in the neighborhood again. A real gem.

Reviewed 12 December 2015 via mobile

I've only been once for lunch but it was pretty good. The link sandwich tasted good and was big enough. The potato salad was just okay. I will be back.