“Happy to revisit!”
Review of Rhumb Line

Rhumb Line
Reserve with OpenTable
Rhumb Line is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #76 of 446 Restaurants in Ventura
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Schooner Drive
Transit: Ventura Harbor water taxi.
Reviewed 7 April 2017 via mobile

Had a fantastic anniversary dinner at Rhumbline tonight. If you haven't been there, go.
Food, service, views all above par! In the harbor. Can't say enough about how great this place is run. The (new) owner will come to your table and check in. A keeper all the way around. And they'll be closing to renovate in the near future. AA +++
The grilled octopus appetizer is the best I've had since I was in Greece. Happy hour also rocks:)
Had sand dabs for dinner. Mmmm

Reviewed 7 April 2017

We've been to Rhumb Line several time for its wonderful happy hour. As a result of our good experience at happy hour we decided to give it another try for dinner. Our last visit for dinner was after it just opened and that was not such a good experience.

We were pleasantly surprised this time as the food's quality, presentation and portions was very good. I had the filet mignon and it was excellent. Cooked perfectly, tender and with great taste. The accompanying mashed potatoes were very good also but the asparagus was very under cooked. My wife had the halibut which also was excellent.

Ventura county does not have very good restaurants so I would have to say this is one of its better places to dine. It is right on the water at Ventura Harbor but the view is not as good as the one at Brophy Brothers across the harbor. And beware that if you go there around sunset the tables against the windows get the direct sun. Most dinners sitting along the window were wearing sunglasses it was so bright. The other negatives...very noisy with all of the hard surfaces. The waitress was disengaged in seeing to it that we had a pleasant visit. The whole time she was taking our order she was looking elsewhere. She only took our order and others delivered our food and cleaned our table. She did bring the check with the obligatory..."have a nice night." The waitstaff was very attentive but seemed to be in the training mode. Example: "are you guys done?" And lastly, it is considerably more expensive (filet mignon = $37.00) than most restaurants in Ventura County.

Overall we probably would eat there again as the meal was very good. As for the other annoyances...we can live with it in our restaurant starved county.

Reviewed 26 March 2017

So good the first night I went back for a second dinner the next night. The service was excellent, thank you Kimmy, Michael, and Tony! The first night I had the cioppino...to die for. Night number 2 I opted for the linguine with clams, not half bad but didn't hold a candle to the cioppino. Beautiful view of Ventura Harbor. Wine list was not half bad ranging from moderately priced to expensive. By the glass wines were reasonable and good. All in all you can't pass Rhumb Line up if you go to Ventura!

Reviewed 10 March 2017

The main problem was the air conditioner was broken in a way that it could not be turned off and this led to very cold people and food. The taste was ok when hot. The waitress was less than sympathetic. I suppose I will wait to see if good reviews come in over the next month to see if we ever go back. Great view.

Reviewed 22 February 2017

The Plumb Line is a pleasant room overlooking the working fishing boats end of the Marina harbor. Dinner was very good with some reservations. We started with grilled octopus which was a nicely presented sliced long tentacle. My wife had a perfectly done and generous serving of the Sea bass. The accompanying mashed potatoes were very good but the brocolini was cooked to a mush. I had the Wild Halibut. It was also a very generous cut and perfectly done inside a peppery crust that tended to hide the delicate flavor of the fish. It was served on “frutta di mare” risotto, which, with three of four medium shrimp, mussels, clams, pieces of salmon and a white fish was what one would expect in a seafood risotto entre. The two entrees were $36 and $37, so they are on the high side for Ventura. But especially with my halibut and the seafood risotto, it might have been too much of a good thing.
And finally, as I am too often forced to say in my reviews –too much of “How is everything” after appetizer, wine, entre, walk-by, etc. Overall, the service is best when you don’t notice it, and the staff here was friendly but sketchy: a search for the right plates for the appetizer; another search and grab at the next table for silverware; an overall feeling that this was training week.