“Truly delicious! ”

Cuisines: Deli
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 November 2016 via mobile

Some of the best food in town. I am constantly craving their borscht! We love calling ahead and getting takeout. Can't go wrong with any of the sandwiches and salads.. And of course the pierogis! Friendly staff.. All around great place.

Reviewed 5 October 2016

I have been there during the day time and for the 5 course Russian / Kiev dinners. This is a fantastic place to go to network with other people with similar tastes in life. No matter when I am there I always meet somebody new and we always have a fantastic time together talking about our commonalities.

Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

When heading to Bethlehem this is our go to place. Everything is homemade and tastes fantastic. This should be you place to not miss when in the area.

Reviewed 26 September 2016

My husband threw a surprise party for me and asked to pick up the food on Sunday. They were closed but opened for my husband to pick up the food. The women as so nice and friendly and their food is so good. We love their home made peirogies. Their menu has a Russian flair and they have traitional dishes.Check out their website. Blackforest Deli.

Victoria S, Manager at BlackForest Deli & Catering, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2016

Landa.. Thank you so much for your note and feedback.. We really really appreciate it and so happy that everyone enjoyed the food and you were surprised by this party. We are happy that you are happy. Looking forward to seeing you both soon - maybe for one of our Kiev Dinner events - would love to have you!

See you both soon. Say hello to Thomas for us and thank him again for supporting us local gals!

Reviewed 18 September 2016

We were 3 for lunch. The hot borscht soup was ok, full of flavor but it had a lot of sweetness to counterbalance the sourness. It was not beet red but a light golden color and was more like a broth with vegetables, mostly diced potato and shredded cabbage. Next we had Pierogi and it was strange that some had a homemade dough which was thick and chewy (like dumpling but not soft) and others in the dish had a thin bland wrapper, which seemed to be commercially manufactured, similar to a Chinese wonton. The potato filling was bland. They were dressed with small bits of carmelized onion which were so small they didn't add much flavor. We had the fruit filled version for dessert and the same bland wonton was used; did not finish them because they tasted gummy and awful. I have to say we were disappointed in the Pierogi and would not order them here again. Italian sandwich and chicken wrap were fresh and tasted ok, but the side of macaroni salad on both dishes was not eaten by my guests. I tried it and it had an off taste. It looked like it would have a peppery taste because it appeared extremely speckled with lots of black pepper, but I was confused that it didn't have a strong peppery taste. I had the schnitzel and it was very good. I was expecting similar to what I've had in Europe but this was different. The chicken thin and was cooked perfectly, not dry. It had an egg coating which was tasty and a delicious sauce of finely cut mixed vegetables and herbs. This was served over golden mashed potatoes. My meal was excellent but the rest of the food ranged from ok to poor (fruit Pierogi). Dill is used copiously to garnish almost everything so if you don't like it you should inform them. We did not like drinking our sodas out of a bottle. They were served cold but over the course of the meal became warm. I didn't want to ask for a cup of ice because the waitress was busy. The service was good, waitress pleasant We didn't wait a long time. In the hour we were there, only one other table was occupied, and about 10 people came in to pick up food or order to go. The look and feel of the place definitely reminded me of homestyle restaurants in eastern Europe but not all the food was delicious. I will try some of the other dishes to go; I suspect they will be better than what we chose for lunch today.

Victoria S, Manager at BlackForest Deli & Catering, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2016

Thank you for your review.. The reviews help us get better at what we do and we encourage all of our customers to do so. If this was your first time dining with us - Im sorry you did not enjoy the overall experience as we work very hard and make everything from scratch every morning. We have been in business for the last 10 years now and all of our recipes have been in our family for many generations. We of course put our own twist to all of our dishes but mainly always consistent. If you look up recipes online for borsch - you will notice - there are hundreds of them - everyone makes their borsch different - ours is a very light vegetarian style - the base is made out of beets and other veggies - sometimes the borsch is a very deep red color - sometimes its a bit lighter - all depends on the beets. The dollop of sour cream creates a bit more of that golden color to the borsch. The borsch is our top seller and of course our homemade chicken noodle soup.

Our pierogies are very famous - everything is homemade - including the dough and the filling - the goal for our pierogies is to make them light and the super thin dough does exactly that. We have won numerous awards for having the best pierogies in the Lehigh Valley but we understand - everyone has different tastebuds so its ok if you didnt like it but we would like to change your mind :)..

Please send us an email so we can discuss further and get some more feedback from you - blackforestdeli@gmail.com

We hope to see you back and give us another try. We are a small family oriented business and care about each customer that walks into our door and eventually becomes our friends.

Come back soon to see us and make sure to introduce yourself and say hello.

Victoria