7 people are viewing this hotel
SofitelUS$180
Hotels.comUS$170
Trip.comUS$181
4,141 results
All reviews rittenhouse square room service valet parking the location is perfect few blocks city hall lanvin concierge libertad slippers closet doorman
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 November 2021

I recently booked a room at this hotel through Priceline as we were attending a wedding in the area. I paid in full, $286 for one night and used Paypal. I received a confirmation with my itinerary weeks prior and a reminder to the same email the day of the reservation. We arrived at check in and left our car with the valet ($60/night).
At the counter when providing my name and reservation, I was left waiting at the desk for a period of time as the clerk disappeared with no explanation. Then she returned with another employee who advised me that my reservation wasn't accepted, that the rate offered to me through Priceline was not acceptable and that it was the responsibility of the 3rd party booking to tell me that prior to arrival. I was told that "they had been trying to reach me". However, there were no messages left on my phone and no emails from anyone. Why would I drive 90 minutes, spend $60 to valet and show up to a hotel if I didn't have a paid reservation?
I was advised that in order to stay there that night, I would need to repay them directly at a higher booking rate than what I paid. I was stunned. I had paid IN FULL prior to arrival, not simply made a holding of a reservation. They advised me that I would need to seek that refund directly from the 3rd party and they could not assist with that. I asked for something in writing from them and was initially rebuffed but when I insisted that I would require that, after a phone call to a manager, they provided me a letter confirming they cancelled the reservation prior to my arrival.
I contacted Priceline immediately and they had no clue what I was talking about. They had no record of the hotel canceling anything and I had to be put on hold while they called the hotel directly on another line to sort it out. In the end, Priceline apologized on behalf of the hotel and reimbursed me my money but I still had to pay $50 more than night for lodging.
Be careful when booking this hotel through any other 3rd party site as the hotel can cancel your reservation without telling you based on how busy they are and how much more they think they can get! The Philly marathon was happening the weekend we stayed and there was a convention in town..I will never stay in another Sofitel. We travel quite a bit and I have never, ever had this happen anywhere before.

1  Thank jenandcody
Angela Bauer, Owner at Sofitel Philadelphia at Rittenhouse Square, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2021

Bonjour Jenandcody,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Philadelphia at Rittenhouse Square. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Our guests satisfaction is our number 1 priority and i do apologize that this was not met with this stay.

At Sofitel Hotels & Resorts, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Please reach out to me directly to discuss this matter further.

Reviewed 22 November 2021

We have stayed here often. A perfect hotel, from reservations, to front desk, suite, and restaurant. Great location. Keisha, in reservations is always our first contact and she has a knack of getting us exactly the perfect room. Only hotel for us in Philly

Date of stay: November 2021
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Larry L
Angela Bauer, Owner at Sofitel Philadelphia at Rittenhouse Square, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2021

Bonjour Larry!
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Philadelphia Rittenhouse Square. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.
Merci

Reviewed 19 November 2021 via mobile

A good hotel in a very good location. For the business traveller it’s a good choice with everything you need and good friendly service. The location is very handy to walk to the business areas and plenty of places to stop for a coffee or shop too

Trip type: Travelled on business

Bonjour Tanagogo1, We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Philadelphia at Rittenhouse Square. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.
Sincerely, Angela Bauer, General Manager

Reviewed 18 November 2021

Is this a long write up? Sure; I find that understanding someone's experience can be helpful. That said...

We opted for one of the larger corner suites which had a king-sized bed, a couch area, and plenty of windows.
The suite's closet/changing area (just before the bathroom) has light doors that you can close for modesty, and we liked that there was both a shower and a tub (separate of one another).
The bed with a down-like pillow top, was incredibly comfortable, and all of the linens were clean, fresh and inviting.

A few things that would make it an even better stay is if the mini-fridge (filled with sensor-activated-for-a-charge mini-bar) had room for us, the paying patrons, to be able to use it AS a mini-fridge.
Personally we're not going to "buy" an eight dollar Heineken from the fridge, but it would have been nice to be able to refrigerate a half-eaten cream-filled cannoli until ready to finish it.

The Nespresso machine was a nice touch for in-room coffee, but the "on" button was far less obvious than anyone would think. Also, the three color-coded pods had no markings as to what they were. Brown. Purple. Black. Are they tea? Are some of those decaf? A simple printed/laminated card about this could go along way.
Also; our first day there, the paper cups provided for coffee fit on the machine to brew. The other two days, they were too large to fit; so you had to stand there and keep it at an angle as the coffee brewed.

The room had a fair amount (but acceptable for our ears) white noise; machinery, or pipes, or heating/cooling or something.... we were on the fifth floor (501). We found we could reduce that noise a little by closing the modesty doors leading to the changing area.

After the first day of room cleaning, a cleaning rag was left behind on the floor of the room.
Not a big deal; we just left it there for the next day's cleaning, but it did seem to be another one of those little things that add up in your mind when considering how you would rate a hotel.

Another item like that is that although we had a lot of windows, and a nice view of a church being renovated across the street, the outside of the windows really need a washing. We get it; busy financial district area of town; hard to keep it clean year-round, but it did give a opaque "dusty" appearance to the outside world.

What else... oh; the TV was a Samsung, but there was no possibility of pairing our devices (phone/Chromebook) to it as we do at home.

The location overall was good, with a quick 15 minute walk to the Reading Terminal Market.
Although the subway (the "El") is great in Philadelphia, we found it very quick and affordable to use car-shares to get anyplace we wanted when traveling beyond a mile or two.

Got to enjoy the lounge one evening and people watch from the windows of the first floor. For more interesting/authentic times, however, we went out to neighborhood bars away from all the hotels.

Bottom line: very comfortable and clean. Staff was friendly and helpful.
The hotel misses on a lot of small "user experience" details here and there, but nothing egregious; more of a surprise due to the cost-per-night.

Would we stay there again? Yes; but there's LOTS of nice looking hotels in the Rittenhouse area of town that I think we'd also enjoy trying a different hotel for comparison's sake.

Best perk(s) again were: very comfortable bed, and location.

Room tip: "Magnifique" Corner Rooms offer a lot of light/windows, are sizable and possibly offer interesting views.
1  Thank 213brycea

Bonjour 213brycea,

Thank you so much for this very detailed review! Glad to hear you were able to interact with our wondaful staff, enjoy our amenities, and take in the sights of the city!

Reviewed 15 November 2021 via mobile

Dirty and disappointing

We stayed at Sofitel for one night. The bed is soft and uncomfortable. The room was filthy. I have never seen such poor housekeeping in any of their hotels elsewhere. The location is good and centrally located, but I would stay elsewhere next time.

Date of stay: November 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank mosaferInternational
Angela Bauer, Owner at Sofitel Philadelphia at Rittenhouse Square, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2021

Bonjour MosaferNY,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Philadelphia at Rittenhouse Square.

Exceptional service is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it helps us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests.

Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. Please rest assured that we have taken the appropriate measures to address the problem with our Housekeeping team in order to prevent any future occurrence.

Please reach out to me to discuss further.

Our relationship with our guests is of paramount importance. We hope that you will present us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.