“Scientific adventures await.”

Ranked #15 of 462 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Founded in honor of America’s first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of America’s oldest and premier centers of science education. The museum is known for blockbuster exhibits, a bevy of interactive ongoing exhibitions, and one-of-a-kind theatrical experiences. Today, the Institute continues its dedication to public education and creating a passion for science by offering new and exciting access to science and technology in ways that would dazzle and delight its namesake.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Special exhibits year round. Permanant exhibits like the walk-through Beating Heart.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,517)

Reviewed 11 March 2012

I liked the oval theater that features movies that has to do with the earth.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

Just awesome! Lots of fossils of massive proportion - weighing tons! I feel lucky to have been able to see them before the exhibit leaves on April. I am able to understand their existence millions of years before my time. Honestly, I'm glad they are extinct, or I would never have had a chance of survival. It took me about an hour to see this exhibit - worth my time. No photography, though, but there are photographers who will take your photos for extra dollars. And both the IMAX and the 3-D theaters show dinosaur movies, also for additional cost.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

Lots of neat stuff to do and see, great for adults and children alike.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

We have two kinesthetic boys (5 and 8) who love moving and touching and playing with everything. This was a great outing for us. We went whole hog and did the special dinosaur exhibit and and imax film about dinosaurs. The kids had a blast. We found it was good to break up the day by looking at things and then sitting for the imax movie, then seeing more exhibits, then seeing a short film in the planeterium. It was expensive, but for what we got, it was well worth it. I do think that 5 is about the youngest I would take a kid there as I'm not sure how much they get out of the museum if they are younger than that. And I would go for the day. Don't try to jam in another Philadelphia site. You'll miss out on the myriad of things the museum has to offer.