“Hang my towel where?”

The Westin Philadelphia
Ranked #25 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 August 2017

The Westin Philadelphia is centrally located at Chestnut and 17th in downtown Philadelphia. It is a great location for visitors as many of the tourist buses stop nearby. Most of the historic sites are actually walkable from the Westin.
The hotel is located within a small but modern and bright indoor mall with a food court and shops, The Shops at Liberty Place. Check-in was easy and the staff was pleasant and accommodating. I asked for a room where a woman traveling alone would feel safe, i.e. not in an alcove or at the end of a long hallway. So I was given a room near the end of a long hallway. I could have asked to change it, but did not. The room was bright and clean and the bathroom spacious. The room had 2 double beds, a large flat screen TV, desk, easy chair with ottoman, a dresser, and a large closet.
My issue was with the bathroom, which did not have any proper towel rods to hang a damp bath towel on. There were 2 large rings attached to the front side of the counter, about thigh height, which were only large enough for one hand towel each, and that was it. What are 2 people supposed to do in this room? Where would they each hang their bath towels? their wet washcloths? There was one hook on the back of the bathroom door, enough for one towel. In a hotel which values guests that opt to reuse towels, there should be enough space to insure that those towels will be dry the next time they are needed. I believe that the lack of towel rods is driven by hotel managements that want to discourage guests from hanging their dripping wet laundry on any horizontal surface, and I understand that, but it is to the point of ridiculousness. In my room, there was plenty of room above the counter on the right side of the sink for a towel rod. Instead, there was just a bare wall, unused.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Jay D, General Manager at The Westin Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2017

Dear CynthiaToo2015,

Thank you very much for sharing your stay experience, I truly appreciate your comments as they only enable the hotel to deliver even better service.

I am thrilled you had a great stay, I sincerely appreciate your comments and will share them with the team...they will be glad to hear they delivered an enjoyable experience for you. One of the great features of the Westin Philadelphia is the walking distance to so many great shopping, attractions, and restaurants.

Please be assured I will look into your great feedback on your towel comment, and come up with a solution.

At The Westin Philadelphia, all of our associates care deeply about our guest's experience and enjoy providing authentic hospitality. We truly value your business, and my goal is to do whatever I can to continue being your hotel of preference when you travel to Philadelphia.

If I can be of any personal assistance if your travels bring you back to Philadelphia, please contact me directly.

Again CynthiaToo2015, I am grateful that you took the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We visit family in Philadelphia a few times a year and often choose this Westin for location and SPG points. We continue to be very happy with the rooms, the service and the location. Our bed was comfy, our housekeeping consistently good and the bar staff amazing (as I frequently order drinks for my husband and me to take to our rooms after bedtime). The staff is gracious if you have an oddball need they can handle. I like this place a lot and we will likely continue to stay there! Two things: I really wish this hotel's SPG floor had a hospitality suite, and the sensors to keep the rooms cooled only when people are in them are a little too good. Otherwise, great choice.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear phillytraveler2017,

Again phillytraveler2017, I am grateful that you took the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

Nice, comfortable hotel in a nice neighborhood near Rittenhouse Square. It's about a mile walk to the old town, which was fine by us. The neighborhood surrounding the hotel has a ton of shops and restaurants. Free wi-fi in room, and a bar/lounge in the lobby.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear stpaul66,

Again stpaul66, I am grateful that you took the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

The Westin Philadelphia is a great hotel. It's classy and in a great location. It's in the Rittenhouse Square area so there are plenty of restaurants, bars and shopping etc... The lobby connects to The Shops at Liberty Place. The neighborhood is generally safe. Once we arrive we never need our car, we walk the area. They have valet and self park options. The staff is always friendly and on top of their game. Gina from guest services goes out of her way to make things right. They have a fitness center, restaurant and bar. The wait staff and bar staff at Winthorpe & Valentine are excellent. The rooms are spacious and clean. The lobby and hotel are very secure. We've stayed here at least 6 times and it's never let us down.

Room Tip: The fitness center is on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear 3ljp,

Again 3ljp, I am grateful that you took the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

I was in Philadelphia for a few hours and received some terrible personal news prior to arriving. I needed somewhere to collect my thoughts prior to my meeting and glad to see that the Westin was near-by. The front-desk staff was very friendly and the Winthorpe & Valentine Bar had the atmosphere that I needed. Ana was my server and she was extremely attentive. Given my positive experience with her, I would most certainly stay at the Westin while in town next month. Thank you for the clam chowder and smile Ana. I truly appreciated it!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

Dear SilviaM,

Again Silvia M, I am grateful that you took the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor.