“Upscale Mexican Food”

Tequilas Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Tequilas Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 4,671 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$18 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Centre West
Cross street: 16th Street
Transit: Located at 16th & Locusts where the #2 bus meets the #12 bus. And at the PATCO 16th Street exit.
Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

We ate here with another couple. We had a reservation and they sat us almost immediately. Lighting is a little bit dim. Some tables had a candle, but we didn't get one. Somehow I managed to fight back the tears. Probably because we ordered the guacamole with chipotle sauce that was awesome which made me forget about our lack of a candlelit dinner. I ordered the beef which came out in a hot lava pot that was a neat presentation, but delicious as well. Came with sides to make multiple tacos. My wife got the carne asada that was also great. Another person at the table got one of the specials that were these giant shrimp/lobster things that she said were really tasty, but surprisingly expensive when the bill came around. Everyone had more than enough food. I would likely eat here again although it was more expensive than I typically spend on Mexican food.

Reviewed 1 April 2017

I enjoyed the service. Our waiter was very polite, fun, fluent in spanish, the whole nine yards. My entree (Sabana Invierno De Pollo) was artfully presented, but didn't actually taste all that good. I didn't complain, but the chicken just tasted kind of rubbery and unnappealing. Nevertheless, we got coffee and dessert, and THAT knocked my socks off. I got something called tres leches cake, and was floored with how delicious it was. Really defies description, but I'll try. Excellent cake somehow infused with milk. Yum!! The strength of the dessert keeps my rating bouyed safely at 4.

Reviewed 6 March 2017

Planned a bachelorette dinner here for 10 people, and everything was excellent! It was hard to find a restaurant that didn't insist on a prix-fixe menu, but we had so many different tastes it was a must. Tequilas let us do our own thing. Food and drinks were great. The crab and mango guacamole was amazing. Had a cool old mansion vibe. Waiters were friendly and they brought the bride-to-be a shot. Great all-around experience!

Reviewed 6 March 2017

On a Saturday night, without a reservation, so we dined at the bar. The place was jam packed, but service was nonetheless friendly, efficient and fast. My husband has the molcajete with chicken, served in a steaming lava stone bowl with sides of rice, beans, guacamole and tortillas, and he loved it. I had the chiles rellenos. I'm vegetarian, so I ate the one stuffed with cheese and save the one with picadillo for my husband. Alta cocina, so not your cheap Mexican food, but everything beautifully done. The main rooms are also quite lovely, with gigantic mirrors and intricate wooden carvings around them.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

The restaurant itself is not your average looking Mexican restaurant nor is the food. The restaurant is housed in an old Mansion.The bar has the original old marble fire place and is elegantly appointed.Oh did I mention you enter passing a Day of the Dead Mural which is a political commentary.I like to eat in the bard. On weekends the main dining area can be noisy. The service is excellent, the drinks are strong, the food is delicious. I guacamole is excellent, I always chose a mole or a special. I had the mole, and save room for dessert. The tres leche is one of the best I ever had.It is as good as any you would find in Mexico at a top restaurant. The dinner is not inexpensive but worth the price.