“A must visit for visitors to this highly historic Philadelphia area. Bob from NY”
Review of City Tavern

City Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
City Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 4,670 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$8 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Cross street: 2 nd & Walnut Streets
Transit: The Market-Frankford "El" has a stop at 2nd and Market Streets as well as the 21 & 42 bus lines drops at our door
Description: Once called "the most genteel tavern in America" by John Adams and the first unofficial "White House," Chef Walter Staib's City Tavern has boasted the finest celebrations since 1773. With over 230 years of hospitality, City Tavern has been the centerpiece of affairs now immortalized in history. An evening at City Tavern is certain to be remembered. Just imagine sampling specialties, such as pepperpot soup, colonial turkey pot pie, roast duckling, Thomas Jefferson's sweet potato biscuits paired with ales the ales of the revolution made from George Washington & Benjamin Franklin's recipes -- all served by costumed wait staff. Watch an episode of A Taste of History on PBS, our Chef Proprietor Walter Staib will give you glimpse of what we do here at City Tavern.
Reviewed 13 March 2018

It has obvious historic connections to our fore fathers. It's where they hung out after a tough day at Independence Hall. But history isn't it's greatest attraction, the food and service are extraordinary. First of all, I made a reservation for 7pm but found ourselves finished with our site seeing way early but they took us in 1 hour early. Nice. All ales and recipes have some connection to our sainted revolutionaries, using, sometimes, the fore fathers recipes. Very nice! Our server Alyssa couldn't have been friendlier or more knowledgeable of what would make this dining experience even better. "And", a gentleman in revolutionary garb played a harp in the hallway for all to enjoy. Wow! It wasn't just a meal but a highlight of our great visit to Philly.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,766)

Reviewed 13 March 2018

Family had a wonderful dinner in terrific colonial period ambiance. Our server Greg did an outstanding job of taking care of us throughout our meal. Constantly checked on us to ensure everything was up to standards without being overbearing. Great job Greg!

Reviewed 10 March 2018

My Dad and I were in Philadelphia for an early December weekend and spent the day walking around the city center. We finished our day in the Museum of the American Revolution and decided to try the City Tavern for dinner since it was a short walk away. Even though it would have been an early dinner for us (5:30pm), we soon learned that they were booked for dinner, so no reservations meant no seating. I do try to research places before visiting to check on this type of thing and while the website says "most days you can stop in, but reservations are recommended just in case" I would emphasize to travelers that for dinner I would DEFINITELY MAKE RESERVATIONS. I really would have liked to enjoy dinner at City Tavern, but that being said we tried again the next day for lunch and didn't have a problem getting in.

Both my Dad and I ended up having the pot pie, which after walking around in the snowy, windy cold was the perfect warm meal. We both loved it, but I know some reviewers said they thought it was too doughy. More meat and veggie would make it better for sure, but I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway - I mean the sherry cream sauce alone was enough to put me over the edge. Perhaps the side of egg noodles was overkill in the carb department though. Also, as mentioned in another review, the bread provided for the meal consisted of three different historical recipes. To me the whole point in dining at a place like City Tavern is trying the Colonial style dishes because that's a part of history that seems harder to come by. I only wish the original City Tavern had survived to add to the authenticity, but I'm sure the modern reproduction building is as accurate as can be from the available records. And yes, the staff does dress in period clothing, so aside from the diners in modern clothes and the modern language, it feels a little like stepping back in time.

Unfortunately, the pot pie was so filling, I didn't get to try any of the desserts and I had my heart set on the Martha Washington Chocolate Mousse Cake. So hopefully I will be back again some day with dinner reservations in place to sample more of the great food and ambience.

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

Loved the City Tavern! The food was excellent. Enjoyed the historic authenticity. You can almost imagine the famous revolutionary Americans who ate there. A very pleasant experience...especially for history buffs. A must-do if you are serious about history and are visiting Philly.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

We enjoyed a lunch of home made soup accompanied with one of many beers and ales that are available. The staff are very welcoming - dressed in the attire of the late 18th. century.
This hostelry was used by Washington, Franklin, Jefferson, Adams et al when they were writing up the Declaration of Indepenence and the US Constitution.