“Excellent all around”
Review of City Tavern

City Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
City Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 4,611 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$8 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Center East
Cross street: 2 nd & Walnut Streets
Transit: The Market-Frankford "El" has a stop at 2nd and Market Streets as well as the 21 & 42 bus lines drops at our door
Description: Once called "the most genteel tavern in America" by John Adams and the first unofficial "White House," Chef Walter Staib's City Tavern has boasted the finest celebrations since 1773. With over 230 years of hospitality, City Tavern has been the centerpiece of affairs now immortalized in history. An evening at City Tavern is certain to be remembered. Just imagine sampling specialties, such as pepperpot soup, colonial turkey pot pie, roast duckling, Thomas Jefferson's sweet potato biscuits paired with ales the ales of the revolution made from George Washington & Benjamin Franklin's recipes -- all served by costumed wait staff. Watch an episode of A Taste of History on PBS, our Chef Proprietor Walter Staib will give you glimpse of what we do here at City Tavern.
Reviewed 16 March 2018

Even though I'm born and raised in Philadelphia I had never tried the City Tavern before. I had an amazing time last Wednesday; I thought the braised rabbit was amazing, and the service from Melina was first class. I highly recommend the City Tavern!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,616)

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

Great food! Great service

A very good atmosphere and definitely a place for history buffs!

We had the strip steak (Preferred) and the roasted rabbit.

Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

Visiting this iconic place has been on our bucket list for years. When we told our waiter that, he told Chef Staib who was there that day and came to our table thanking us for coming. I was beyond excited to meet him and couldn’t believe he took time out of his busy schedule to visit our table.

The most difficult thing about the menu was choosing what to eat. We wanted everything on it! We finally decided on the mushroom bread for an appetizer with the main entrees of duckling and veal. Both were exquisitely made with flavors that melded beautifully. I also had a City Tavern Warmer drink that was smooth and soothing on this chilly day.

I couldn’t have asked for a better dining experience from start to finish and our visit from Chef Staib was the cherry on top!

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

Prepare yourself for a back in time meal. Very interesting menu, food is really rich and heavy but good. Definitely a good experience and different. The ambiance is phenomenal and I like the costumes of the staff. I recommend to make a reservation. This place is not just great for food but to live the whole historic experience while you are in Philadelphia.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

It has obvious historic connections to our fore fathers. It's where they hung out after a tough day at Independence Hall. But history isn't it's greatest attraction, the food and service are extraordinary. First of all, I made a reservation for 7pm but found ourselves finished with our site seeing way early but they took us in 1 hour early. Nice. All ales and recipes have some connection to our sainted revolutionaries, using, sometimes, the fore fathers recipes. Very nice! Our server Alyssa couldn't have been friendlier or more knowledgeable of what would make this dining experience even better. "And", a gentleman in revolutionary garb played a harp in the hallway for all to enjoy. Wow! It wasn't just a meal but a highlight of our great visit to Philly.