“lunch”
Review of City Tavern

City Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
City Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 4,611 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$8 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Center East
Cross street: 2 nd & Walnut Streets
Transit: The Market-Frankford "El" has a stop at 2nd and Market Streets as well as the 21 & 42 bus lines drops at our door
Description: Once called "the most genteel tavern in America" by John Adams and the first unofficial "White House," Chef Walter Staib's City Tavern has boasted the finest celebrations since 1773. With over 230 years of hospitality, City Tavern has been the centerpiece of affairs now immortalized in history. An evening at City Tavern is certain to be remembered. Just imagine sampling specialties, such as pepperpot soup, colonial turkey pot pie, roast duckling, Thomas Jefferson's sweet potato biscuits paired with ales the ales of the revolution made from George Washington & Benjamin Franklin's recipes -- all served by costumed wait staff. Watch an episode of A Taste of History on PBS, our Chef Proprietor Walter Staib will give you glimpse of what we do here at City Tavern.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

A relaxing lunch in a colonial setting with friendly staff and delicious food. Our waiter, Greg, was very upbeat and helpful. Enjoy amidst the spirit of freedom and history. Respect for our American heritage prevails.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,614)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

As a historian with an 18th century focus. I recently visited Philadelphia to attend a professional conference and visit some of the historic sites and museums related to my period of study. City Tavern is the perfect complement for such a trip! I love the ambiance and atmosphere, enhanced by 18th century tunes played by Mark, the excellent harpist, and, of course, the exquisite food. In four days - some times solo and with colleagues at others - I took five meals there in four days. Chef Staib does an excellent job of recreating period dishes with available ingredients for delicious meals. On several of my visits, my waitress Alyssa was most gracious and attentive. I dine there whenever I am in town, and never had a less than excellent experience. I am especially fond of the pepper pot stew!. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

Even though I'm born and raised in Philadelphia I had never tried the City Tavern before. I had an amazing time last Wednesday; I thought the braised rabbit was amazing, and the service from Melina was first class. I highly recommend the City Tavern!

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

Great food! Great service

A very good atmosphere and definitely a place for history buffs!

We had the strip steak (Preferred) and the roasted rabbit.

Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

Visiting this iconic place has been on our bucket list for years. When we told our waiter that, he told Chef Staib who was there that day and came to our table thanking us for coming. I was beyond excited to meet him and couldn’t believe he took time out of his busy schedule to visit our table.

The most difficult thing about the menu was choosing what to eat. We wanted everything on it! We finally decided on the mushroom bread for an appetizer with the main entrees of duckling and veal. Both were exquisitely made with flavors that melded beautifully. I also had a City Tavern Warmer drink that was smooth and soothing on this chilly day.

I couldn’t have asked for a better dining experience from start to finish and our visit from Chef Staib was the cherry on top!