“Evening out.”
Review of City Tavern

City Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
City Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 4,652 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$8 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Cross street: 2 nd & Walnut Streets
Transit: The Market-Frankford "El" has a stop at 2nd and Market Streets as well as the 21 & 42 bus lines drops at our door
Description: Once called "the most genteel tavern in America" by John Adams and the first unofficial "White House," Chef Walter Staib's City Tavern has boasted the finest celebrations since 1773. With over 230 years of hospitality, City Tavern has been the centerpiece of affairs now immortalized in history. An evening at City Tavern is certain to be remembered. Just imagine sampling specialties, such as pepperpot soup, colonial turkey pot pie, roast duckling, Thomas Jefferson's sweet potato biscuits paired with ales the ales of the revolution made from George Washington & Benjamin Franklin's recipes -- all served by costumed wait staff. Watch an episode of A Taste of History on PBS, our Chef Proprietor Walter Staib will give you glimpse of what we do here at City Tavern.
Reviewed 20 March 2018

While in Philly we decided to go to City Tavern. While in Williamsburg we have visited several of the colonial restaurants. Definitely the furnishings and wait staff were correct for the period. We had reservations but still had to wait about 15 minutes. Several tables of 2 were seated. Even 2 couples without reservations. I guess 3 persons was a problem. Our meal was very good and waiter was great. We were seated in a room with a table of small children at 8 at night. The children were tired and finished with dinner but parents decided to sit and have coffee. Once they departed. The room became much quieter and we were able to enjoy the rest of our meal. So our visit was good and bad. We would go back and visit again.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,711)

Reviewed 18 March 2018

Four of us stopped in on our tour of old town. We had resonably priced flights of beers. 13 bucks for some original tastes, The people there dressing up as they did hundreds of years ago. Disappointed with the price of a double drink. Instead of pricing for a shot of vodka, they double the price. 18 bucks for a double vodka and cranberry is outrageous! Too touristy. The beer was the only good thing, even though they say it is one of the oldest taverns, it did not feel that way.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

A relaxing lunch in a colonial setting with friendly staff and delicious food. Our waiter, Greg, was very upbeat and helpful. Enjoy amidst the spirit of freedom and history. Respect for our American heritage prevails.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

As a historian with an 18th century focus. I recently visited Philadelphia to attend a professional conference and visit some of the historic sites and museums related to my period of study. City Tavern is the perfect complement for such a trip! I love the ambiance and atmosphere, enhanced by 18th century tunes played by Mark, the excellent harpist, and, of course, the exquisite food. In four days - some times solo and with colleagues at others - I took five meals there in four days. Chef Staib does an excellent job of recreating period dishes with available ingredients for delicious meals. On several of my visits, my waitress Alyssa was most gracious and attentive. I dine there whenever I am in town, and never had a less than excellent experience. I am especially fond of the pepper pot stew!. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

Even though I'm born and raised in Philadelphia I had never tried the City Tavern before. I had an amazing time last Wednesday; I thought the braised rabbit was amazing, and the service from Melina was first class. I highly recommend the City Tavern!