“Hotel motto: "We know, and we don't care"”

Courtyard West Orange
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
Reviewed 26 March 2017

If you like to fight with your spouse, make tons of noise, let your kids run up and down the halls screaming, leave your garbage in front of other guests' rooms and generally antagonize them, then this is definitely the hotel for you. Management does not care what you do or how it affects other people.

My last stay, I was literally driven out of the hotel by the overt hostility and harassment of the nearby rooms. As I was leaving (90 minutes after checking in), another similarly-experienced guest was asking management "what kind of hotel is this?"

When I turned in my keys, the front desk manager apologized profusely. He assured me that the agitators would be gone the next day, and my originally-requested room would be ready. Given my long history with this hotel, I agreed to return. We even shook hands on it.

When I returned the next day, the room was not available. I elected to go to another hotel - again. The desk clerk on duty, the most smug person on the planet, said as a "courtesy" she wouldn't charge me.

The Marriott not only charged me for the room from the first night, they kept the hold for the anticipated four-day stay on my credit card.

When I called the manager the following week, he said he was aware of what happened and agreed that I shouldn't be charged if I didn't stay. He then refused to issue a credit because the front desk clerk had left the charge on the bill. Only after I complained to Marriott's customer care department and disputed the charge with my bank did the Courtyard refund the money.

The entire mess could have been avoided had the Courtyard not screwed up my reservation, which was for a room at the other end of the hotel. I've stayed at this hotel previously, with mixed results. Some times the stays have gone without incident. Other times were problematic, e.g., stuff had been left in the bed from previous guests and the heater/AC unit was not working. Unless you get the right room, there is almost always an issue with noise.

On the positive side, the hotel is reasonably priced, the location right off 280 is good and some really nice people like Mary and Vivien work the front desk.

I was surprised to read the review where a guest said the Courtyard dug out the cars during a snowstorm. I was there during the January 7 storm, and the guests dug out their own cars. The Courtyard barely dug out the driveway.

If you do stay here, try to get a room facing Prospect Avenue at the right end of the hall. The rooms facing the mall have noise from the street-cleaner, the back view has construction and the other side has bad elevator access and rowdier guests.

If you do get a front room, try to park early. The front lot gets filled up quickly. For easy access, there is a convenient stairwell and exit at the corner right end.

The rooms have coolers. If you want a refrigerator, try the nearby Residence Inn or Turtle Brook Inn on Northfield Avenue. I'd also sooner stay at the Wilshire Grand. The location is less convenient, but management cares much more about its guests' experience.

Room Tip: Get a room facing Prospect Avenue.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Howard S, General Manager at Courtyard West Orange, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2017

Dear NanTanner,

Dear NanTanner,

Let me first apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay with us. This certainly not the experience we want our guests to come away with. I can assure you that your experience was the exception and not the norm. We do our best to try and make sure that everyone's experience is a positive one. Yours seems to have been disrupted by some guests who had no concern for others around them. We normally give these folks a warning prior to asking them to leave. In my investigation of this issue, it seems that there was some confusion as to whether you actually checked out of the hotel. Once it was established that you did not stay, we did issue you a credit. You will be happy to know that we have replaced all of the coolers. All of our rooms now have refrigerators. As for the digging out of cars, we always assist guests who wind up getting plowed in their spots. Some guests go elect to free their cars on their own, but we always offer. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me personally. We hope that when your travels bring you back to the area, you will give us another try.

Reviewed 23 March 2017

If you're familiar with the Courtyard brand, this is one of your typical properties, no surprises here. The winning secret sauce is the staff. I was there during a pretty good snow storm and they took great care of their guests, including digging your car out after the snowplow cleared the lot and banked the snow up and blocked you in. Friendly and helpful, can't beat that!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Howard S, General Manager at Courtyard West Orange, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2017

Dear Bonzaiflyer,

Thank you so much for your review. It is much appreciated. That was some storm, although not as bad as predicted. We hope you come back soon and bring some warm weather!

Reviewed 17 March 2017

I used to live in this town. We came in for the St. Patrick's Day Parade and to catch up with family and friends. The hotel was very clean and comfortable and is very easy to get in and out. It is right off of Route 280. We will be staying here again in the future, I'm sure. The beds were very comfortable and location is great. Staff was very accommodating to a change in room that we needed.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family

Dear Maureen D,

Thank you for your review! The West Orange parade is awesome! We hope to see you again during your next visit to your old hometown.

Reviewed 16 February 2017

I had a very nice 3 night stay at this hotel. The beds were extremely comfortable. The room was extremely roomy - quite spacious. actually. The staff at the hotel and restaurant were among the friendliest I have ever come across. No major complaints - when I did need something fixed it was dealt with extremely promptly.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Howard S, General Manager at Courtyard West Orange, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2017

Dear VistingfromLondon,

Thank you so much for your review. I will certainly pass along your kind words to the rest of the staff. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area. Cheers!

Reviewed 16 February 2017

A dear friends wife was having major surgery at a nearby hospital and needed to stay since his home was 2 1/2 hrs away. The hotel went out of their way to make him feel comfortable. When he checked out (thinking they were going home) they were very kind to him. When he reached the hospital he found out his wife was not well and that he would need to stay at the hotel a few more days. When I called the first thing they said was send him right back over and we will give him the key to his old room. They were so helpful when he returned later that night and went out of their way to make him feel at ease. They have agreed to go day by day with him, and are just wonderful, kind people. I would stay there anytime.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo

Dear Usslibertyhouse,

Thank you for your review. I am glad we were able to be of assistance to you during a difficult time. We hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Orange
9.3 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk
10.7 km away
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford

Been to Courtyard West Orange? Share your experiences!