“I'll take one of everything please...”

Blue Scorcher Bakery Cafe
Ranked #1 of 4 Bakeries in Astoria
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: We're a worker-owned cooperative whose mission is to serve delicious, organic food; foster joyful work; and build up our community. Every ingredient used in our foods, breads, pastry, chocolate, and coffee is sourced specifically for quality, wholesomeness, and sustainability. We foster kinship among workers, our regulars, and with our community by donating our excess to the tables of those in need; supporting our local schools, farmers, and nonprofit organizations; and offering cultural and educational events to bring people together throughout the year. Workers earn an average of $13.50 per hour, paid leave that is accrued after three months of employment, scheduling that is worker-focused and flexible, dental benefits, one staff meal and drink per five hour shift with a 30 minute paid lunch break, a 25 percent discount, a fresh loaf of bread per week, and access to wholesale ordering. The kin work involved in consensus-based decision making and management requires a commitment to communication and trust-building within the work community. What does this look like? Proactively seeking feedback before and after shifts, working – not only efficiently, but – mindfully, being a reliable person, reciprocating good will, giving direct feedback early and often, listening to seek understanding – especially in conflict, and avoiding victim mentality by being both vulnerable and accountable.
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

For me this is one of those special places that I wish I could take home and have in my town. Everything in the bakery case looked amazing and what I tried tasted the same. They also have a great looking breakfast menu and superb coffee and espresso. They also have a kid play area with a little kitchen and little couches.
The place is open and bright and you can see the river and the staff is friendly. Loved this one.

Reviewed 13 July 2017

Fantastic little bakery with wonderful delights that you dont' normally see elsewhere - just not enough of them! Their little baguets are delish!

Reviewed 13 July 2017

Great food, awesome coffee, terrific staff, nice décor. I have a hearing disability and the lady was so patient with my ordering. A must while your in Astoria!

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

Had a great lunch before checking out all The Goonies stuff around town. Really enjoyed everything we had. It is eclectic and pretty stereotypical hipster Oregon trendy. It was a great place for a bite to eat, and was busy.

Reviewed 9 July 2017

Family living locally took us here for pastries and coffee. Not disappointed! The vibe was very mid-west laid back. Everyone friendly. Ethical recycling system ... Great pastries. I had an almond crescent + coffee. Read the NY newspaper. Loved it.