Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews black bear restaurant state park skyline drive davis mountains mcdonald observatory hiking trails full size beautiful setting lobby area salad bar coffee maker a great place to stay milky way stayed nights rooms are large two queen beds ccc
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 April 2021

We stayed at the Indian Lodge one night in April. This setting of this lodge is gorgeous and the amenities wonderful for a lodge with such history. The staff was pleasant, informative and super sweet to my grandchildren. We will definitely be visiting again.

Date of stay: April 2021
Reviewed 12 April 2021

Absolutely adored the Indian Lodge! Park Rangers in the office at check in and staff at the Black Bear Diner were very friendly and helpful, as were park employees we passed elsewhere. Our room was charming and clean; comfortable beds with extra blankets in the chest, lots of outlets for charging and plenty of clean towels in the bath. I appreciated having a separate little bar area for the coffee maker. We were able to slide our picnic/snack bin under the shelf and use the bar to set down kid drinks.

There is a beautiful, cozy lobby with tables and leather couches. If you travel as a family, bring your favorite games or books and plan on hanging out there in your down time. I also loved all the displays about the CCC and building the State Park.

Also, you can't beat the price. We stayed at the Gage in Marathon and paid almost 3x as much for a smaller room with almost zero to do nearby. We will absolutely return to the Indian Lodge and use it as our home base for trips into Fort Davis, Alpine, Balmorrhea, etc. and just to relax and hike in the park.

Lovely place, thank you for an amazing stay!

Date of stay: March 2021
Reviewed 18 January 2021

The Indian Lodge at Fort Davis is a state run lodge. The lodge itself is very scenic not to mention the beautiful Davis Mountains. I do have one caution though. Call in advance to make sure what is open. When we arrived we found out that many of the trails were closed due to the virus. The Black Bear Restaurant had limited take out service. The border crossing in Big Bend NP was closed. And the McDonald Observatory was closed at least for another week.

Room tip: Call the lodge in advance.
Date of stay: January 2021
1  Thank virgbrown
Reviewed 28 December 2020

We stayed at the Lodge the same weekend last year and loved it. Would have stayed longer this year, but the lodge is currently open only 3 days over each weekend. The restaurant is takeout only. Our stay still provided the wonderful remote getaway we'd hoped for. Clear days in the 50's were perfect for hiking, which is excellent both in the state park and at Ft.Davis Historic Site (behind the old hospital).
Our only complaints were that the cable TV wasn't working and later was told it had not been working for 2 months. But we weren't told when we checked in, so wasted a bit of time trying to make it work. And the wall thermostat is impossible to figure out, so spent more time trying to make it hold a temperature. Occupancy is limited to something like 75%. We briefly saw only a half dozen other travelers during our 3 days' stay. We felt that the room was very clean (except for under the beds). There was no daily maid service, which was fine.
We telephoned our order for burgers to the Black Bear Restaurant and they phoned our room when it was ready: very good burgers! Sitting on the protected veranda behind the historic lobby provided a lovely spot for happy hour with a beautiful view down the valley. Wifi is only accessed in the inner courtyard, which can be windy and very cold. Staff is very friendly and want to help, but are not always informed.

Room tip: Ask specifically if you want a room with valley view.
Date of stay: December 2020
2  Thank kelly053
Reviewed 23 March 2020

The rooms are comforable: decent mattresses, solid wood furniture, TVs, basic toiletries, decent towels, average linens on the beds. Walls are a little thin. I could hear my neighbor's children bouncing around quite clearly, but it gets dead silent here around 10pm. The place was very clean. I knew in advance their was no fridge in the room and brought a small cooler to keep some things cold. That was not really a problem with some planning, but for a large family I could see it being expensive to eat out at every meal. I never did eat at the attached restaurant, but it was open while I was there and about to be renovated.

Fort Davis is a friendly, charming town and reminds me why Texans are so great. I didn't meet an unkind person my whole time there.

The setting is really why you should go. The State Park is remote and at a high altitude (for TX) which means beautiful scenery: mountains, desert, endless skies, wildlife etc. This is one of the best places in the US for star gazing. I highly suggest you (very quietly for your neighbors' sake) step outside before dawn in the morning or late at night when it is entirely dark. Even without a trip to the nearby observatory, you can see the Milky Way and the infinite stars from the Lodge's parking lot. Also, try to catch sunrise/sunset from Skyline Drive (closes at 10pm).

Room tip: Room 325 has a great view of sunrise through back windows
Date of stay: March 2020