“Yummy!”
Review of Birroteca

Reserve with OpenTable
Birroteca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #139 of 2,089 Restaurants in Baltimore
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Clipper Mill Road & Ash Street
Transit: We are just a short walk from the Light Rail MTA stop at Woodberry
Description: Birroteca is the destination for modern, rustic Italian cuisine crafted using ingredients sourced from local ranchers, farmers and seafood vendors. Guests enjoy communal dining service in a refined, casual setting. There are more than 24 craft beers on tap in addition to a focused Italian wine list and a selection of unique craft cocktails prepared with artisan distilled spirits and house-made mixes. Come taste why Birroteca has quickly achieved top standing in The Baltimore Sun, Baltimore magazine, City Paper and more.
Reviewed 11 February 2017

We made a very early reservation for dinner at 5:00 PM. We were warmly greeted by the host when we arrived and seated immediately. We had the restaurant to ourselves for a while. It quickly filled up after 6 PM. Robbie, our server, was at the top of his game – so engaging and personable. He took excellent care of us. There was nothing that he would not do to insure we had a great dining experience, and we did. We ordered a bottle of Passimento Blend from the Veneto region of Italy –a very full bodied and delicious red wine. For our appetizers, we ordered three Bruschetta with fresh Burrata cheese topped with melted tomato and basil. This is one of our favorite dishes at Birroteca. Then we all went in different directions. I enjoyed the Bianco pizza – a white pizza with mozzarella, asiago, fontina and gorgonzola cheese with sage, lemon thyme Honey and candied walnuts – just perfect. My husband had the handmade Pappardelle Wild Boar Bolognese and Parmesan. One of my brothers had the Calamari alla Plancha served with lemons, garlic and capers (which he declared to be fabulous) and the other brother had the house made Orecchiette with sausage, broccoli rabe, marinara sauce and shaved Parmesan which he really liked. All in all, we had a delightful time at Birroteca.

robbin h, Owner at Birroteca, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2017

"Yummy"...that's what we love to hear Maggi! We apprecite the kind words and shout out to your server, Robbie. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 6 February 2017

First time. Mixed feelings.
Some of the food and drinks(Salmon Poke, Pork belly, beer flights) were very good. Other food (Duck/Mushroom pizza, Apple torta) were very mediocre.
The biggest disappointment was the service. It was very indifferent and unprofessional from anybody we had interaction with. Our waitress forgot or confused so many things that in spite of her young age we started to think she might have an early stage of Alzheimer's Disease. Our main activity in this restaurant was waiting, waiting and waiting again. And it was happening from 2:15pm to 3:45pm when 80% of the restaurant was not occupied, so there was not an excuse of being busy that could be used to reason this poor service.
The ambiance was relaxing and cozy and the value was not bad, so if the service wouldn't fail we'd think of giving them another chance or two to try some more dishes on the menu and maybe it would change our impression about this place, but so far we are not in a hurry to do that.

Reviewed 28 January 2017

Visited this place last night after a day of shopping with my daughter, who lives and works in the city. She was able to get a reservation for 2 via open table and I had told it was her choice of where I'd take her for dinner. My only request was to pick a place with valet or easy parking. Neither of our husbands were with us and although my car has major cameras, this "county gal" doesn't parallel park. (sad, I know)

We walked in at 6:30pm, greeted nicely and escorted to a table not far from the host stand. It looked like we made it at a good time before their business time. My daughter Karly, having been here a few times, chose to start us with a tuna dish and brussel sprouts. Both amazing flavor! I added the meatballs which were very good as well. We chose to split a caesar salad, which was average in size, enough for us to split as we knew our pizza may fill us.
I decided to have a jack and coke, but had to wait for the whiskey menu, which was a bit disappointing. Our server couldn't recommend anything to me, but could at least answer my question that they didn't have Jack Daniels or Jim Beam. My daughter chose just to have a coke. She wishes she would have been informed, a coke was an independent bottle of "cola" which she wasn't fond of ... but that could be because she expected a "coke". My drink arrived around the time of our 3rd appetizer and this is where our service went from good to poor.
After finishing my drink, I decided to switch to my usual wine. I caught our servers eye & asked her to bring me the list, which came... but she never came back to take my wine order. Our pizza took so long we questioned whether she had forgotten to put our order in. I had also told her as we first ordered, I was going to order a pizza to go, for my husband and son back in Howard County. At this point, we were through our bottled water on the table, and felt ignored.
By the time the pizza arrived by someone other than our server, Karly no longer wanted wine so I asked for our server and just ordered another Bourbon and coke . The prosciutto pizza she chose was good. At this point, had the service been better, I would have ordered another tuna appetizer but I was annoyed at our experience, this far. I'm used to being "checked" on at least once or twice during dining experiences.

Our server had a chance to redeem herself when my daughter decided she wanted dessert, but no chance. My daughter ordered the cinnamon cannoli, which were good as well, but at this point... I wanted to leave.
Perhaps this girl was too rushed or could it have been because we were a mother daughter party and not a couple, not sure.
The food, was very good. The brussel sprouts may have been the best I have ever tasted and I surely could have eaten another tuna appetizer, or two.
Karly was apologizing, but agreeing with me regarding the service. Her and her husband go out often and this place is one she had wanted us to try. I won't be going back anytime soon but had service gone better, I would surely return.

2  Thank atrin
Reviewed 22 January 2017

Fresh, creative and unique pizza and pasta accompanied by an extensive beer list and decent wine. The duck duck goose pizza is the one everyone talks about, but in my view, the mushroom pizza is the best I've ever had. The pappardelle pasta dish won rave reviews, and the mussels have the best croutons with them - an excellent choice. The calamari are not breaded, so are healthier, but also tastier! No one leaves here unhappy. Warning: the pizzas are said to be individual pizzas but are really big enough for 2 normal eaters. A bonus is that there is white paper table coverings and pencils in a glass so diners can doodle or create a masterpiece while waiting (not long) or just chatting. Service is always top-notch. Reservations really needed.

robbin h, Owner at Birroteca, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2017

Thanks for reaching out! We appreciate the kind words and love to hear that our guests had a wonderful experience. Thanks for the shout out to our staff and we look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed 4 January 2017

Been several times. Never disappointed. Went NYE 2016, which was against my better judgement because it can be a zoo. Birroteca did not let us down! Food was on point, particularly the 30 oz. Porterhouse (which we shared and they sliced for us). All of it was excellent and drinks are also high quality. Service was attentive and professional! Highly recommend!

robbin h, Owner at Birroteca, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2017

Great atmosphere, casual bu serious about their food and drink....that's what we love to hear! Thanks for the kind words and we look forward to seeing you back soon.