“Dinner with my Vegan Daughter”
Review of The Helmand

The Helmand
Reserve with OpenTable
The Helmand is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 2,212 Restaurants in Baltimore
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Mount Vernon
Cross street: Monument
Description: Providing Baltimore with fine Afghan cuisine for over 23 years.
Reviewed 6 March 2018

We had dinner after a movie (Lady Bird - very good) and choose Helmand as it had the largest vegetarian menu for a restaurant we could find. The appetizer was a little small but the entree were full sized. I (not a vegetarian) had the Dolma Murch - veggie stuffed peppers which was excellent and my daughter had the veggie Korma which she devoured. Don't miss out on the Naan bread - truly fantastic. It could improve by offering a non dairy alternative to the yoghurt sauces on many dishes - very small criticism. We loved and will be back with friends!

Reviewed 5 March 2018

On a recent business trip we enjoyed a weeknight dinner. As the place filled up it did get a bit warm due to unseasonably warm temps; they propped the door to capture a bit of breeze which is not likely the norm for February! Our server gave excellent recommendations - the pumpkin appetizer did live up to the high expectations, and we enjoyed the rich, flavorful options (both meat and vegetarian choices). It did get rather loud as the room filled, but the service was attentive and food was top notch!

Reviewed 19 February 2018

My wife and I had dinner at The Helmand, after reading great reviews online about the food. The food was very tasty. The place is enjoying huge popularity. It was jammed, with a long wait for tables. We enjoyed drinks at the tiny bar, while waiting. My wife's martini was good. My gin & tonic (house gin) was weak. The 2 drinks were $18.
After a 45-minute wait, we were seated in the larger, louder room, in a cold, dark, far front corner. The din from the people's voices was almost unbearable. The place needs to add acoustically buffering materials to the interior, such as: carpets throughout; hanging carpets on the walls; acoustic tile ceiling.
Our corner table was lit by one small candle. We literally could not SEE our food. Our appetizer was excellently flavored - a beef gravy & vegetables mix with a bit of pastry. My entree of lamb chunks with sweet potatoes in a sauce + rice was excellent - tender, with wonderful flavor. My wife's lamp chop was not so great. It was very thin, with a lot of bone & fat, and not much meat. More than half of her plate was rice. Her entree was $20, and not worth it. My wife's wine was good, but again too pricey.
Our waitress did not check back with us. We flagged another waitress and told her we were given the wrong appetizer at first. She replaced it.
Our total expense was $95. We felt it was not worth it.
Though we were not as pleased as we hoped to be, we will give this place one more chance. Next time, we'll make a reservation, and tell them we want to be in the smaller room (where the bar is), which is a bit less loud, and more well lit.

1  Thank MrAntoineJ
Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

Nice change for dinner. Unique blend of tastes and textures. Service is good! Don't miss the naan, it is baked in house and served warm. Tried the pumpkin and we ordered more. Delicious stews and lamb dishes.
Dessert reflects a strong use of cardamom which will leave you smiling. The cardamom tea is a great finish. Enjoy!

Reviewed 25 January 2018

One of my favorite restaurants in Baltimore and the best Afghani food I've ever had. The food is consistently excellent, unbelievably priced, and unlike any other restaurant in Baltimore. The atmosphere is laid-back and cozy. Always a pleasure to dine here and a must-eat for any Baltimore itinerary.

Been to The Helmand? Share your experiences!