“Well worth going out of your way to try this delicious Sardinian food”

Daniela's Pasta and Pastries
Ranked #314 of 2,079 Restaurants in Baltimore
Reviewed 26 July 2016

On a visit to Baltimore last week, a friend and I asked a native Baltimorean what would be a good place for dinner on Saturday evening in little Italy. He recommended Daniela's, up in the Hampden neighborhood, as better than anything in Little Italy. Not to take anything away from Little Italy, but we were so glad we went up to Hamden to try Daniela's!
The food was absolutely delicious. The dishes labeled as Sardinian specialties may be particularly worth trying - while ravioli spinaci was very good, a Sardinian shell-type pasta with meat sauce called Malloreddus was absolutely out of this world delicious. The pastas were very reasonably-priced (around $16-17), and the portions were quite ample. We washed it down with a bottle of a nice Sardinian red called Carignano del Sucis, which was delicious and reasonably-priced ($30 per bottle, $10 per glass). Unfortunately we didn't have room for dessert, but the dinner made me want to go back a few more times to try everything on the menu!
The restaurant itself is in a big old house, with a nice front porch for outdoor seating, and a couple of dining rooms inside. It is simple and homey, and feels almost as if your Italian friend had invited you over to his mom's house for dinner. And the staff is terrific - most if not all of them are from Italy, and they are genuinely warm, friendly, and unpretentious. They seem like they are having fun and enjoying their jobs, which makes the atmosphere pleasant. We had nice chats with several of the friendly servers, who seem to work as a team, and Daniela herself stopped by to say hello to us.
If I didn't live 50 miles away, I would definitely become a regular at this place!
A quick note on the name: it used to be called Daniela's Pasta and Pastries, which is what Trip Advisor is still showing, but they moved down the block to a larger location and made it a real restaurant. If it has "Daniela" in the name, you are probably in the right spot.

Reviewed 27 June 2016

Daniela’s is now open at 822-824 W. 36th Street. Daniela’s Pasta is really an excellent restaurant in all respects. Daniela prepares unique and flavorful Sardinian Italian food. Everything about this restaurant is welcoming. From the time you arrive until you leave, you are treated like family. Our party of 10 thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience in the wine cellar. Our servers, Luca, Stefano, Maria and Antonella, attended to our every need and made sure that we enjoyed our meals. The food was beautifully prepared and presented. It was like dining in your own dining room – peaceful and quiet. Thank you for making our evening so special.

Reviewed 31 May 2016

We went to Daniela as a Rotary Club social and filled the entire restaurant with friends and family. Everything was prepared fresh and all of the pastas were homemade that day! The Sardinian gnocchi with sausage was fantastic...smaller than typical gnocchi and infused with saffron. The Bronzino special was delicious as was my husbands veal. Afterwards we sampled a number of amazing desserts. The Tiramisu was my favorite, but the cannoli were fabulous as well. This is a charming addition to the Baltimore restaurant scene!

1  Thank Valentinadigrazzia
Reviewed 23 May 2016

Let me start off by saying that they were VERY busy for a Tuesday evening and seemed short staffed. That being said, I understand that service was affected by this situation. The food was quite tasty when we finally got it. I think the worst part for us was the service. With a large group and repeatedly having to ask for additional wine glasses that we were never provided (so we had to share); asked if we would like more bread with our meal and then never receiving it, only to find the servers standing by the wait station when we went to use the facilities.
I will give it another try because the food was quite flavorful and the prices reasonable, but if the service is as poor, I will not return.

Reviewed 19 May 2016

Daniela's has moved a couple of doors down the street from her hole-in-wall wildly popular storefront. The new space belies the Hampden expectations. I thought I might be in a NYC or San Francisco dining room. The menu offers interesting dishes and there is a good wine list. The two pasta dishes we had were terrific. Bread was fabulous (not often the case in Baltimore restaurants). Dessert was yummy. I would go back, again and again.