“Excellent Pizza, Prices Too High, Poor Service”
Review of Iggies

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Neighbourhood: Mount Vernon
Reviewed 17 January 2015

Note to Readers:
American Take-Out pizza, brick-oven pizzas, and even very good NY-style pizzas
(Patsy's, DiFara's, Ferdinando's & others)
are NOT authentic Italian pizza, the best of which many Italians acknowledge are found in Naples. Light crust, fresh ingredients, cooked in a very hot oven for no more than 90 seconds!! I'm serious.
...
What Iggie's offers IS a close approximation of that.
For example, all the dough is made with "00" flour. On the classic "Margherita" pizza they use San Marzano tomato, slices of *fresh* mozzarella and chopped basil. Someone who loves a typical "American Pie" slathered with cooked sauce and heavily-glommed with shredded mozzarella is likely to not enjoy what Iggie's is offering.
This is not to say other "style" pizzas aren't also good or tasty.
SOME are. But they are a different dish then what Iggie's is offering diners.
If that's what you know & think of as pizza, order those and don't come & complain about Iggie's.
The pies that Iggie's makes are made of high quality ingredients and are excellent.
That said, eating at Iggies is self-serve and a bit bare-bones and usually involves waiting longer than one might expect. For me, mostly that's OK and worth it for the food I get.
My biggest dissatisfactions are the cost and the service. The price of the pizza selections for the size of the portions/pies is high and can set a hungry table back a bit more than I like for an informal/casual meal.
More troubling to me is the uneven temperament of the owners, *especially* the guy who often works the oven (I think his name is Peter). Sometimes I've been there and it's been eventful and fine. But on several occasions…. Whoa! Temperaments ranging from indifference to customers, curt & abrupt treatment, to outright rudeness (especially the guy). Mostly I observed this with others, but once I was on the receiving end.
C'mon people, you are in the hospitality business.
In summary, I have been to Iggie's a number of times. I go because they make excellent Italian-style pizzas. Truthfully, I will likely also go back on occasion.
However, I go despite the shortcomings of the cost & service I noted above.
I've tried to be fair and balanced in my observations & reporting. Hope it's helpful to others.

3  Thank S S

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Iggies is a great whole in wall pizzeria. The crust was my favorite part. All the pizzas are hand tossed right there in front of your eyes and are very fresh. Iggies offers simple but good options such as Margherita pizza along with more elaborate creative types of pizzas. In addition, they have vegetarian options as well. This is a must stop for all pizza lovers. The atmosphere was unique and decorated with pictures and paintings of Italian Greyhounds, hence the name "Iggies." Enjoy!

1  Thank WhitStritt
Reviewed 24 July 2014

When I lived in Baltimore Iggies was our go to for lunch or dinner. In addition to the regular stuff they have unique topping combinations that I still miss!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

This review is based off my one order of the Funghi Pizza. Nonetheless, Iggie's did not disappoint. A thin, crunchy crust and an assortment of tasty topping's made my visit memorable and worth a repeat visit. The one knock I had was the manner in which the cashier dictated to me the "Iggie's Protocol"...no need to go any further, but it lowered my rating on the restaurant one notch. As an aside, I believe the name of this pizzeria was a knock off the St. Ignatius church down the block. For those of you traveling from Maryland to New York, visit Lombardi's in Little Italy (NYC) and DiFara's in Midwood, Brooklyn, as I feel they offer the best pizza in the New York City area.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stopped at Iggie's on the way home from work based on the reviews from Trip Advisor. I got a takeout of one of their larger pizzas with spicy sausage, olives, etc. I was rather disappointed with the taste when I got home. The sausage was too spicy, and the pizza really did not compare to others that I have had at different places.
Also, it was quite expensive-$18 for a larger pizza. I probably will not stop by there again. Sorry but that's how it seemed to me. The staff and service were very friendly and efficient.