“Better go there before it becomes a strip mall!”
Review of Johnny Harris Restaurant - CLOSED

Johnny Harris Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$22
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Description: For over 90 years, Johnny Harris Restaurant has been a staple of Historic Savannah dining. Three public dining rooms: the "Kitchen", the "Ballroom" with high starlit ceiling, and the Maple Room Tavern all provide an eclectic atmosphere for your dining enjoyment. The signature BBQ sauces are a great compliment to the famous pit-smoked items, and the secret recipe fried chicken is not to be missed. Family ownership gives this restaurant an intimate feel despite it's size, and the restaurant cookbook, penned by Julie D. Lowenthal, is a must take home keepsake. Private dining room bookings are available as well as adjacent banquet facilities with seating up to 200.
Reviewed 10 February 2016

We arrived around 12:30 p.m. and all the parking lots were completely full. I parked in their banquet facility next door. The place was bursting with people. The restaurant has a large dining room with large booths arranged around the perimeter of the circular room. The booths seat 6 - 8 people I believe. The booths have a push button notification light feature which is a look back into the past. Seating is also available in the bar and the large kitchen area has tables and booths. In days past, the dining room was formal and other areas were for us less so. The kitchen is the social area. We were seated in a reasonable amount of time in their kitchen area. Tables were moved about and adequate seating for 10 magically appeared. Our single server was fantastic. She handled this crowd handily. Service wait was reasonable. I ordered the BBQ sandwich which was excellent, but the real winner was the strip cut french fries. Cut in large strips and fried to perfection with the peels on. Voila! A wide variety of choices are available. Pricing was reasonable and as mentioned the service was very good. Grab a seat fast. It won't be around much longer.

Date of visit: February 2016
1  Thank Harry G

Reviewed 8 February 2016

We ate here THREE times during our recent visit to Savannah - my family LOVE The Fried Chicken.....I can not fault this restaurant. Such a pity that this glorious restaurant (you have to see it, to believe it - it's as if it is frozen in time) will soon be no more. If you are heading to Savannah before they tear this place down you HAVE to visit - you won't regret.

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed 4 February 2016

What a shame! This old restaurant is about to be demolished to make way for street widening and a strip mall. The restaurant dates back to 1924 and is an amazing structure but more important the food is also amazing. We arrived around 4:00 PM and the place was almost empty. Wondered if the food was really as good as we had heard since almost no one was there. My wife had the onion soup and the non-battered fried chicken and she was blown away by how good it tasted. I had the Brunswick stew and it also was outstanding. Also had the chicken wings and they were some of the best I have had. coconut cream pie and Carolina trifle rounded out the meal. Try the food before the restaurant goes away forever.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed 30 January 2016

My wife and I enjoyed this restaurant very much. I really enjoyed the look of the place in the main dining area. It looked like something out of an old time movie. All of the wood booths with a spot for curtains and non working call boxes that would have been used to call the waiter made this place a favorite and the art work around the ceiling was very cool. I am a man who love's some tender fried chicken livers and I have to say I was very impressed. They tasted great. I also had fried green tomatoes with house made pimento cheese, just exquisite cuisine! The tomato aspic was very good also. If your a livers person I definitely recommend the fried livers.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed 28 January 2016

We were seated in one of the cozy booths in the main dining room. We had excellent service. Our server was very helpful. Sampled the fried green tomatoes, lamb sandwich, and pimento cheese burger. Everything was wonderful. Can't wait to go back!!

Date of visit: December 2015