“The restaurant looked nice but our tour group got stuck with the banquet center”
Review of Johnny Harris Restaurant - CLOSED

Johnny Harris Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$22
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Description: For over 90 years, Johnny Harris Restaurant has been a staple of Historic Savannah dining. Three public dining rooms: the "Kitchen", the "Ballroom" with high starlit ceiling, and the Maple Room Tavern all provide an eclectic atmosphere for your dining enjoyment. The signature BBQ sauces are a great compliment to the famous pit-smoked items, and the secret recipe fried chicken is not to be missed. Family ownership gives this restaurant an intimate feel despite it's size, and the restaurant cookbook, penned by Julie D. Lowenthal, is a must take home keepsake. Private dining room bookings are available as well as adjacent banquet facilities with seating up to 200.
Reviewed 16 March 2016

In the restaurant there are plaques of famous people who have eaten there like Clint Eastwood and many many more but thanks to Diamond tour once again we did not get to eat in but to the banquet center next door for a buffet that was pretty tasteless and then had a cheesy D.J. that we had to listen to and watch the old women dance with each other...too bad they did not serve drinks to help pass the time till we could get back to the hotel

2  Thank Rebecca B

Reviewed 15 March 2016

We ate there last night and had a very pleasant dinner. The main dining room was open in the center with booths surrounding the center which is where we ate. I had the half rack of baby bad pork ribs, French fries and toast triangles. The ribs were tender and tasty. My friend had the steak special which for $20 was a bargain. Both meals were enjoyable. The menu was varied and the wine list was extensive. The service was excellent. There was nothing to like about the restaurant (except that we heard it may close in a month or two). I would suggest trying to dine there before it closes.

1  Thank yellowstone1
Reviewed 9 March 2016 via mobile

I was visiting with my cousin in Savannah and two of her friends decided that we needed to go here because in a few months the whole thing would be torn down. It seems that Johnny Harris is an institute in the Savannah area. I had a shrimp salad sandwich and fries and it was very good. However the service was terrible.

1  Thank Becky H
Reviewed 6 March 2016

My wife and I had heard that this was a landmark for years in Savannah.We thought we should see it before they close the doors.We went there for lunch.You can see how in its day this place must have been something special.Even today although a little tired it was an interesting place to visit.You could feel the history.My wife had some gumbo and I had french onion soup and they were both very average.
We were there for lunch and I elected to have there signature bbq sandwich.Being from Maine I had high expectations for bbq .It was very bland and quite taste less.My wifes chicken sandwich was ok according to her.Glad we got to see this establishment but if they were staying open we would not be repeat customers.

Reviewed 3 March 2016

This soon to close forever restaurant is a Savannah tradition. Its a beautiful building in a good location. The service is excellent, as is the food. So very sad to see it closing.