Johnny Harris Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$22
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Description: For over 90 years, Johnny Harris Restaurant has been a staple of Historic Savannah dining. Three public dining rooms: the "Kitchen", the "Ballroom" with high starlit ceiling, and the Maple Room Tavern all provide an eclectic atmosphere for your dining enjoyment. The signature BBQ sauces are a great compliment to the famous pit-smoked items, and the secret recipe fried chicken is not to be missed. Family ownership gives this restaurant an intimate feel despite it's size, and the restaurant cookbook, penned by Julie D. Lowenthal, is a must take home keepsake. Private dining room bookings are available as well as adjacent banquet facilities with seating up to 200.
Reviewed 11 February 2017

So I have a little restaurant of my own and we have been experimenting with BBQ over the last couple of years and its been a success. So when I travel, particularly through the south, I make it a point to try out what looks to be interesting BBQ. after searching the internet for suggestions and found many of the typical BBQ joints that serve it on a paper plate or in a styrofoam box with a slice of wonder bread...not what I'm looking for...so this looked like it fit the bill and I stopped in for spell. I ordered a little of everything so I could check it out. Smoked chicken wings...small, but excellent. Ribs a solid 8.5-9.0...brunswick stew (never had it so thought I would try it cause I eat everything), wasn't for me, clearly and acquired taste. Very happy with my visit. Obviously a long time family run dining establishment. When I'm back, I'll visit again.

Reviewed 28 June 2016

It's unfortunate that the owners of this formerly fine restaurant decided to close its doors permanently and will later open a different restaurant, instead of trying harder to improve the downward spiral of the much loved Johnny Harris Restaurant. The reputation they cultivated over the past many decades of fine food and service will now be tainted if not removed from our memories because of the extremely poor service and quality of food they served at the end of their run as everyone's favorite "go to" place for BBQ. I wish the owners had appeared to care more. We certainly cared enough to make one last pilgrimage to this Savannah standard "before the doors closed for good" but instead, we now wish we had just remembered it fondly. Instead we waited 1.5 hours for our food to arrive, because our server "forgot" to turn in our order to the kitchen. When it arrived, the food was not even marginally acceptable. I was so embarrassed because we had taken an out of town visitor assuring her that it would be wonderful as the owners will want to make the ending of their family institution memorable. It was memorable, but for all the wrong reasons. We have faithfully supported this restaurant for almost 40 years and we truly wanted to participate in a successful ending of an era. Because the owners made such an obvious misstep in the way they handled the protracted and much advertised closing along with poor allocation of staff to meet the demand, we will be extremely wary of this family's new restaurant endeavors.

Reviewed 12 June 2016

For almost 100 years, this wonderful place has been a meeting house for so many, They have had famous, and not-so-famous eat here in the bar, the kitchen area, and in the ballroom. My mother recalls dancing on their dance floor under the stars. The food always excellent. You will be missed.Tragic how we turn away knowing we could have saved this diamond-of-a-place.

Reviewed 2 May 2016

This restaurant is beautiful! They have a large parking lot and private dining rooms for groups. It is huge inside. They have full bar and have no problem giving separate checks. Casual dress is acceptable. Our group of 14 had reservations and were seated in a private room in the back. Our waiter, Landon, was excellent, friendly and attentive. The food was very good. The house wines: Merlot, Cabernet, and Zinfandel were very nice. Steaks were thick, juicy and tasty. The fried chicken, which they are noted for, was really good, as was the salmon and Crabmeat au Gratin. The coconut pie was creamy and tasty; the Trifle large and delicious; but the Mud Pie was soooo good! It is so sad that this fine establishment will be torn down the end of May 2016 for a strip mall. Get there as soon as you can before they close.

Reviewed 18 April 2016

We sat in the bar area which may have been a mistake - the hostess said we would be served faster but we waited nearly an hour for our food, although there were very few customers. Crab dip was okay. Fried chicken, mac and cheese, slaw, bbq pork, chicken sandwich, all just okay. What was inexcusable was mashed potatoes that tasted like instant which had been frozen in a scoop and reheated, and mushy broccoli which also seemed to have been frozen and reheated. The waitress was pleasant. We wanted to try it before it closes and wished we had gone elsewhere - too many great restaurants in Savannah to waste money here.