“Thunderbird Hotel. Graet Value” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #37 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Windsor, Canada
“Thunderbird Hotel. Graet Value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stayed at the Thunderbird 2 weeks ago for 2 nights. People at the front desk we very cheerful and efficient. Always had a smile and were willing to help. The rooms were very nice, very comfortable beds. I mean very comfortable. I have stayed in many hotels some cheap some very expensive the beds here are just as good if not better than many high end hotels. Bathrooms were a bit dated but fine. Only negatives are the cleaning staff just made the bed, replaced the towels and that's about it. No refill on the in room coffee etc. We did leave one of the Krispy Kreme doughnuts on the counter and when we got back a bunch of tiny ants had found their way in. Found a tiny hole in the corner of the vanity. The area is fine just make sure you turn right out of the paking lot. To the left it gets a bit shady in 3 blocks. Coffee, tea, Krispy Kreme, and ceral in the lobby for breakfast was great. Hotel had a cool vibe to it and with free parking and very reasonable rates for Savannah I'd definately stay there again. Can walk to historic district in 5 minutes.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank groovemaster007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Plattsburgh, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

I booked the Thunderbird based on price & location and was extremely happy with my choice. The staff were super friendly - Stephanie & Bobby's welcome set the stage for a wonderful Savannah experience. I loved this place - it was clean, with great comfortable beds and moon pies & RC cola for turn down service with a smile. It was so close to the historic district and city center it was very easy to get to everything. I would love to come back, seriously -do not stay anywhere else! The blonde gal at the front desk who checked us out was so helpful with directions, Bobby gave us great recommendations for things to do, and Stephanie was so warm & welcoming it made the trip GREAT! There is good hot coffee available all day in the lobby, too. Just a great laid back friendly vibe, retro look, very clean and the best deal in Savannah...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Bobby at the front desk was SUPER helpful with everything that my girlfriends and I needed on our girls weekend! The inn is completely redone with a very retro feel, and the beds are very comfortable. The room was a good size, and was very clean. They provide the snack of the south, moonpies and rc cola, free of charge to each guest upon check in. The price was great, and even though it wasn't in the prettiest section of town, was very safe and within walking distance to all of the fun attractions downtown Savannah has to offer. My only complaint is that the parking lot is VERY small and there isn't enough room for all of the guests to park their vehicles if there is more than one car per room, but I will definitely stay here again! Thanks to Bobby and his wonderful staff.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Tucumcari, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

We try to stay away from chains when we travel, and glad to discover the Thunderbird Inn! Be careful when you look them up, as there is a dump nearby called the "Thunderbird Motel." If someone speaking broken English says you don't need a reservation when you call, you might have called the wrong place, which we did at first when we looked them up with our GPS. Very nice throwback to how I I remember a motel when I was growing up! The mattress was extremely comfortable, bathroom spotless. Parking is tight if you are pulling a trailer, which we were, but the staff allowed us to park the trailer right in front of the office, and then use a regular space for our truck.

The Inn offered a nice welcome for our dogs, complete with dog treats, souvenir dog tags, and a grassy area for them to do their business in. Also provided baggies for the cleanup task after.

If you are looking for something different, which offers comfort and good value, the Thunderbird Inn is a great place for you!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank krmtrains1
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

I use Hotwire for the majority of my hotel bookings, so I never know what I'm going to get. The Thunderbird was a happy surprise. It's got that quirky retro kitsch that I love, and most of the staff seemed genuinely friendly. Lots of pluses here: it's clean, the beds are super comfy, and the location is (to me) ideal. The motel is situation just outside of Savannah's historical district, which meant there was no need to pay for parking (though, to be fair, there are eight parking spots fewer than there are rooms, so one night we had to park in an overflow lot two blocks away - which wouldn't have been a problem had that possibility been explained to us on check-in). Still, it's close enough to everything that we wanted to do that we spent one entire day on foot. As other travelers have said, the bathrooms are mighty small, but the water pressure was great. And even though I left my beloved schnoodle at home, the Thunderbird was truly a pet-friendly hotel - there were even complimentary poo bags right at the front desk! I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends